1) “Accident” means a sudden, unexpected, unusual, specific event which occurs at an identifiable time and place, but shall also include exposure resulting from a mishap to a conveyance in which You are traveling.
2) “Accidental Injury” means Bodily Injury caused by an Accident (of external origin) being the direct and independent cause in the loss.
3) “Actual Cash Value” means purchase price less depreciation.
4) “Bodily Injury” means identifiable physical injury which:
a) is caused by an Accident, and
b) solely and independently of any other cause, except illness resulting from, or medical or surgical treatment rendered necessary by such injury, is the direct cause of death or dismemberment of You within twelve months from the date of the Accident.
5) “Business Partner” means an individual who:
(a) is involved in a legal partnership; and
(b) is actively involved in the day-to-day management of the business.
6) “Common Carrier” means any land, sea, and/or air conveyance operating under a license for the transportation of passengers for hire.
7) “Complications of Pregnancy” means:
(1) conditions requiring hospital stays (when the pregnancy is not terminated) whose diagnoses are distinct from pregnancy but are adversely affected by pregnancy or are caused by pregnancy, such as acute nephritis, nephrosis, cardiac decompensation, missed abortion, and similar medical and surgical conditions of comparable severity, and shall not include false labor, occasional spotting, physicianprescribed rest during the period of pregnancy, morning sickness, hyperemesis gravidarum, preeclampsia, and similar conditions associated with the management of a difficult pregnancy not constituting a nosologically distinct complication of pregnancy; and
(2) nonelective caesarean section, ectopic pregnancy which is terminated and spontaneous termination of pregnancy, which occurs during a period of gestation in which a viable birth is not possible.
8) “Domestic Partner” means a person who has registered as a Domestic Partner in a municipality that requires such registration or has provided the Insurer with a signed and notarized Affidavit of Partnership in a municipality that does not require such registration. The Affidavit will attest to the following:
a) Each person is 18 years of age or older and is mentally competent to consent to contract,
b) Neither one is married to or legally separated from anyone else,
c) They are not related by blood in a manner that would bar marriage under the laws of the state of New York,
d) They have been living together on a continuous basis prior to the date of application, and
e) Neither individual has been registered as a member of another domestic partnership within the last six months.
9) “Effective Date” means the date and time an Insured’s coverage begins, as outlined in the General Provisions section of this coverage.
10) “Exotic Vehicles” includes Bentley; Ferrari; Lamborghini; Lancia; Lotus; Maserati; Pininfarina; and Rolls Royce. The Insured must contact Travel Guard’s customer service at 1.800.826.1300 before renting to confirm whether the vehicle is covered.
11) “Family Member” means Your or Your Traveling Companion’s legal or common law spouse, Domestic Partner, parent, legal guardian, step-parent, grandparent, parents-in-law, grandchild, natural or adopted child, foster child, ward, step-child, children-inlaw, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, brother-inlaw, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew.
12) “Hospital” means a facility that: a) holds a valid license if it is required by the law; b) operates primarily for the care and treatment of sick or injured persons as inpatients; c) has a staff of one or more Physicians available at all times; d) provides 24 hour nursing service and has at least one registered professional nurse on duty or call; e) has organized diagnostic and surgical facilities, either on the premises or in facilities available to the Hospital on a pre-arranged basis; and f) is not, except incidentally, a clinic, nursing home, rest home, or convalescent home for the aged, or similar institution.
13) “Inclement Weather” means any severe weather condition which delays the scheduled arrival or departure of a Common Carrier.
14) “The Insurer” means National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA.
15) “Land/Sea Arrangements” means land and/or sea arrangements booked by the Travel Supplier.
16) “Medically Necessary” means that a treatment, service, or supply:
(1) is essential for diagnosis, treatment, or care of the injury or Sickness for which it is prescribed or performed;
(2) meets generally accepted standards of medical practice; and
(3) is ordered by a Physician and performed under his or her care, supervision, or order.
17) “Natural Disaster” means flood, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, or blizzard that is due to natural causes.
18) “Physician” means a licensed practitioner of medical, surgical, or dental services acting within the scope of his/her license. The treating Physician may not be Yourself, a Traveling Companion, or a Family Member.
19) “Scheduled Departure Date” means the date on which You are originally scheduled to leave on the Trip.
20) “Scheduled Return Date” means the date on which You are originally scheduled to return to the point of origin or to a different final destination.
21) “Sickness” means illness or disease which is diagnosed or treated by a Physician after the effective date of this plan and while You are covered under this plan.
22) “Strike” means a stoppage of work:
(a) announced, organized and sanctioned by a labor union; and
(b) which interferes with the normal departure and arrival of a Common Carrier. This includes work slowdowns and sick-outs
23) “Travel Supplier” means tour operator, cruise line, hotel, etc., who has made the land and/or sea arrangements.
24) “Traveling Companion” means a person who is sharing travel arrangements with You. Note: A group or tour leader is not considered a Traveling Companion unless You are sharing room accommodations with the group or tour leader.
25) “Trip” means prepaid Land/Sea Arrangements and shall include flight connections to join and depart such Land/Sea Arrangements, provided such flight connections are scheduled to commence within one (1) day of the Land/Sea Arrangements. Maximum Trip duration is 365 days.
26) “Unforeseen” means not anticipated or expected and occurring after the Effective Date of the coverage.
27) “You,” “Your,” or “the Insured” means a person who has purchased a Trip and who has paid the required plan cost for this plan provided herein.