Do I need to buy a special kind of policy for a cruise?

Last Updated:

In general, travelers do not need to purchase a specific travel insurance policy for a cruise, however there are certain benefits cruisers should look for when comparing policies.

Following the Covid-19 Pandemic, some cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean and Carnival, began requiring non-vaccinated travelers purchase a policy with specific amounts of medical and medical evacuation coverage.

Standard travel insurance policies are designed to cover any kind of trip, including cruises. However, travelers going on a cruise may want to pay attention to specific benefits when comparing policies.

Medical and evacuation costs can be more expensive at sea. Therefore, Squaremouth recommends cruisers get a policy with at least $100,000 in Emergency Medical coverage and $250,000 in Medical Evacuation coverage.

Travelers who are looking to protect their investment in a cruise should look for Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage.

Those who are flying to their embarkation port, can look for Missed Connection coverage, which can help you catch up to your cruise if you miss departure. On some policies, this benefit kicks in after a delay of as little as three hours. If your next port is at a more remote destination, you may want to find a policy with a high amount of Missed Connection coverage. This can range from a few hundred dollars to more than $2,000.

This information can vary based on the travel insurance policy. If you have questions about a specific policy, please contact our licensed travel insurance experts. Squaremouth’s award-winning customer service team is available from 8am to 10pm ET, seven days a week, by chat and by phone at 800-240-0369.

Notes to editors

About Squaremouth: has insured over 2 million travelers. Using Squaremouth’s intuitive quoting and comparison engine, award-winning support team, and verified customer reviews, travelers can save time and money to find the best travel insurance policy for their trip.

Help Videos


What expenses should I insure for my cruise?


How much medical coverage do I need for a cruise?


What kind of travel insurance coverage do I need for a cruise?