What if I need to be evacuated from the cruise ship?


Last Updated:

The Medical Evacuation benefit covers the transportation costs if you require evacuation from a cruise ship. This evacuation must be recommended by the physician on board and should be coordinated with the travel insurance provider.

More Detail

Medical Evacuation provides transportation to the nearest adequate medical facility in the event of a medical emergency during your covered trip. This can include an air ambulance off a ship or to home, as well as ground transportation while in port.

In the event of an evacuation, you will be taken to the nearest adequate medical facility for initial treatment. If the treating physician determines you need to be sent elsewhere for proper treatment or return home, Medical Evacuation can also cover those transportation costs.

Medical Evacuations are typically more expensive from cruise ships, so Squaremouth recommends cruise travelers purchase a policy with at least $250,000 in coverage.

This information can vary based on the travel insurance policy. If you have questions about a specific policy, please contact our licensed travel insurance experts. Squaremouth’s award-winning customer service team is available from 8am to 10pm ET, seven days a week, by chat and by phone at 800-240-0369.

Notes to editors

About Squaremouth: Squaremouth.com has insured over 2 million travelers. Using Squaremouth’s intuitive quoting and comparison engine, award-winning support team, and verified customer reviews, travelers can save time and money to find the best travel insurance policy for their trip.

Help Videos


Am I covered if my cruise ship returns early?


What if I need to be evacuated from the cruise ship?


What does travel insurance cover during the cruise?