Squaremouth’s Extreme Weather and Natural Disasters Travel Insurance Information Center is a regularly-updated resource on coverage for hurricanes, blizzards, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and other natural disasters. Visit an event-specific information center to view official provider position statements and learn more about coverage for that event.
Trending Fact Sheets and Press Releases
- Winter Storm Jupiter: Travel Insurance No Longer Available for Latest Winter StormRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL January 11, 2017 — Winter Storm Jupiter is expected to become a major ice storm, impacting the Plains, Midwest and Northeast. As travel conditions worsen, leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, says it’s too late to buy travel insurance coverage.
- Winter Storm Helena: Too Late to Buy Travel Insurance as Travel HaltsRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL January 6, 2017 — Winter Storm Helena is expected to halt travel in the South and East due to heavy snow and ice. Leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth says it’s too late to buy travel insurance coverage to protect your flight.
- Winter Storm Fortis: Too Late to Buy Travel Insurance for Northeast BlizzardRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. December 29, 2016 -- As millions of Americans plan to travel for the New Year’s weekend, Winter Storm Fortis will bring heavy snow, rain and high winds to the Northeast, including New York, where many will gather to ring in the new year. Leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth, explains coverage for this storm and future winter storms.
- Still Time to Buy Travel Insurance For Looming Winter Storm, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST PETERSBURG FL December 12, 2016 — As more travelers take flight during the holiday season, the impact of delays and cancellations increases. With another winter storm expected to cross the country this week, travelers have a small window to insure their upcoming trips, says leading travel insurance site Squaremouth.
- The Biggest Mistake Holiday Travelers Make: Squaremouth Explains How to Avoid Winter Storm WoesRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL December 8, 2016 — During the busy holiday season, winter weather is not always the first thing on a traveler’s mind. Unfortunately, those who wait until a winter storm is forecasted to affect their trip may be too late to get travel insurance, says leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth.
- Winter Storm Caly: Too Late to Get Travel Insurance, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL December 8, 2016 — Winter Storm Caly, the third named storm this winter, is expected to affect much of the country over the next week. Now that it has been named, travel insurance is no longer available for the Winter Storm Caly, says leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth.
- Squaremouth Debunks 3 Travel Insurance Myths About Winter TravelRead More
From heavy snow to icy roads, winter travel is not without its problems. Leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth asked providers to share the most common misconceptions about winter travel coverage and what travelers should know when searching for a policy for their winter trip.
- The Little-Known Travel Insurance Benefit When a Hurricane Hits Home, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL October 6, 2016 — As Hurricane Matthew makes landfall in the United States, the storm is affecting more than just Caribbean travelers. While many travelers are aware of travel insurance coverage for flight delays or cancellations due to Hurricane Matthew, there is another lesser-known benefit for travelers affected by the hurricane at home, explains travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth.
- See all 15 articles
- Fact Sheet: Squaremouth Explains Travel Insurance Coverage for HurricanesRead More
Leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth explains travel insurance coverage for hurricanes.
- Hurricane Matthew: Travel Insurance No Longer Available, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL October 3, 2016 — Hurricane Matthew serves as an unfortunate reminder that late-season hurricanes can still affect travel, but it is now too late for travelers to get coverage for the storm, says leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth.
- Hurricane Newton: Can I Cancel My Trip? Squaremouth Explains Travel Insurance CoverageRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL September 6, 2016 — As Hurricane Newton makes landfall in Mexico and impacts popular tourist destinations, Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison site, explains travel insurance coverage for affected travelers.
- Earthquakes and Travel Insurance Fact Sheet: Squaremouth Explains Coverage For Affected TravelersRead More
Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison site, explains travel insurance coverage when an earthquake occurs at your destination before or during your trip.
- Hurricane Season: 3 Things You Thought You Knew About Travel Insurance That Are Wrong, Says SquaremouthRead More
The worst time to find out you’re wrong about your travel insurance coverage is when a hurricane is threatening to ruin your trip. Leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth reveals the three biggest misconceptions travelers have about travel insurance for hurricanes.
- Winter Storm Jonas: Too Late to Get Travel Insurance for Blizzard, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL January 21, 2016 — Winter Storm Jonas is expected to cause extensive travel delays this weekend as it hits the Northeast. Unfortunately, it is now too late to purchase travel insurance for any coverage related to the storm. Squaremouth, America’s leading travel insurance comparison website, explains why, as well as what coverage may be available to those who already have a policy.
- Insurance May Not Cover Strongest Hurricane on RecordRead More
ST PETERSBURG, FL October 23, 2015 -- Virtually overnight, Hurricane Patricia intensified to the strongest storm on record, with Puerto Vallarta in its path. While residents prepare for the worst, travelers with upcoming trips to the popular destination are left with few options. According to Squaremouth, one of the nation’s leading travel insurance comparison sites, it is now too late to buy a travel insurance policy for the storm.
- Am I covered if I miss my connecting flight?Read More
You can be covered if you miss your connecting flight for a covered reason.
- Am I covered if I get bumped from an overbooked flight?Read More
Travel insurance will not provide coverage if you are bumped from an overbooked flight.
- Am I covered if I miss my flight because of long security lines?Read More
Travel insurance will not cover you if you miss your flight due to security delays.
- What if the roads are bad and I don’t want to travel?Read More
Choosing not to travel because the roads are bad is not a covered reason to cancel your trip, although some policies may provide coverage if road closures prevent you from traveling.
- How long do I need to be delayed to trigger coverage?Read More
Typically, you must be delayed at least 3-12 hours for coverage to begin, depending on the policy.
- See all 25 FAQs
- Can I cancel my trip if I don’t want to travel in bad weather?Read More
Fear of traveling during bad weather is not a covered reason to cancel a trip on a standard travel insurance policy.
- Can I still buy travel insurance after a tropical storm or hurricane is named?Read More
While you can still buy a travel insurance policy after a storm is named, the policy will not include coverage for the storm.
- What if my flight or cruise is delayed because of a hurricane?Read More
If your flight or cruise is delayed due to a hurricane, travel insurance can cover additional costs and lost expenses under the Travel Delay and Missed Connection benefits.
- Can I still buy a travel insurance policy for hurricane season?Read More
Yes, you can still buy a policy with coverage for hurricane season. However, you cannot buy a policy with coverage for a specific storm once it is named.
- Can I still buy travel insurance for Hurricane Matthew?Read More
No, travel insurance is no longer available with coverage for Hurricane Matthew.
- What if my flight or cruise is delayed or canceled due to Hurricane Matthew?Read More
Travel insurance can cover many of your lost or additional expenses due to a cruise or flight delay or cancellation because of Hurricane Matthew.
- What if I want to cancel my vacation because of Hurricane Matthew?Read More
You may be covered to cancel or interrupt your trip if your policy includes hurricane coverage and you meet the policy’s requirements.
- Can I cancel my upcoming trip because of the earthquake?
- What coverage do I have if an earthquake strikes while I’m at my destination?