Squaremouth’s Infectious Diseases Travel Insurance Information Center is a regularly-updated resource on coverage for disease outbreaks that may impact travelers. Visit an information center below to read FAQs and official provider position statements regarding coverage for a specific outbreak.
Fact Sheets and Press Releases
- Squaremouth Explains Travel Insurance Coverage for the Norovirus OutbreaksRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL Feb. 1, 2017 — Norovirus outbreaks have historically been common on cruise ships, but this year, there have been several cases of outbreaks throughout the United States. Leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, answers four common questions about travel insurance coverage related to the Norovirus.
- Zika Virus and Travel Insurance Fact SheetRead More
Squaremouth explains key facts about travel insurance coverage for the Zika virus outbreak.
- Rio Olympics: Zika Threat Has Attendees Exploring Travel Insurance Options, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST PETERSBURG, FL March 7, 2016 -- The Zika virus is causing concern among travelers with plans to attend the 2016 Olympics in Brazil this summer. Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison website, explains travel insurance coverage for Olympic attendees worried about the Zika virus affecting their trip.
- Zika Virus, Pregnancy and Travel Insurance: Squaremouth Explains Available CoverageRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL February 4, 2016 — The Zika virus outbreak has caused many travelers to rethink their plans, with pregnancy being the main concern.
- Am I covered to cancel my trip if my family member contracts to Norovirus?Read More
If one of your family member contracts the Norovirus prior to your departure, you may be covered by your policy’s Trip Cancellation benefit.
- What if I get the Norovirus while on my trip?Read More
If you contract the Norovirus while traveling, you may be covered for related medical expenses and to return home early if medically necessary. Contact your provider’s 24-Hour Emergency Assistance department as soon as possible for advice and direction.
- What if I get the Norovirus before my trip?Read More
If you get the Norovirus before your trip, you may be covered by your policy’s Trip Cancellation benefit.
- Can I cancel my trip if I’m worried about getting the Norovirus?Read More
Fear of contracting the Norovirus is not a covered reason to cancel a trip under standard Trip Cancellation policies.
- Does the Cancel For Any Reason benefit allow me to cancel my trip due to the Zika virus?
- See all 19 FAQs
- What if I contract the Zika virus while traveling?
- Can I cancel my trip to a Zika affected country if I become pregnant?Read More
While no policies include coverage to cancel your trip due to your destination being a Zika-affected country, some policies do provide cancellation coverage for travelers who become pregnant after purchasing a policy, regardless of their destination country.
- Can I still purchase travel insurance to cover the Zika virus?Read More
Travelers can still purchase travel insurance for trips to areas affected by the Zika virus, however, it is not a covered reason to cancel your trip, unless you become infected with the virus.
- What travel insurance will cover me if I become pregnant before my trip and don’t want to travel?Read More
Some policies provide cancellation coverage if you become pregnant after your policies effective date, which is the day after you purchase your policy.
- What if I’m pregnant and don’t want to travel due to the Zika virus?Read More
If you are pregnant and don't want to travel or are afraid to travel due to the Zika virus, unfortunately, there is no coverage available. Cancelling due to fear is not a covered reason to cancel your trip for reimbursement.
- What if I become pregnant on or after my trip?Read More
Most travel insurance policies exclude coverage for medical expenses related to pregnancy, unless there are complications to the pregnancy. If you become pregnant during your trip and experience a complication of pregnancy, this may be included in your coverage.
- If I become infected with the Zika virus, can I be medically evacuated home?Read More
Travel insurance providers consider contracting the Zika virus an unforeseen event. This means benefits like Emergency Medical and Medical Evacuation are available to travelers who purchase a policy before becoming infected.
- If my family member or I contract the Zika Virus, am I covered to cancel my trip?Read More
If the insured or insured’s family member is stable at the time a policy is purchased and later contracts the Zika virus prior to departing for a trip, they may be covered to cancel their trip and receive 100% reimbursement for any prepaid, nonrefundable trip costs they insured under the Trip Cancellation benefit.
- Will my travel insurance coverage extend if I am hospitalized due to the Zika virus?Read More
Most travel insurance policies will automatically extend if you are unable to return home on your scheduled return date due to an unexpected illness or hospitalization, including the Zika virus.
- Can I purchase a travel insurance policy after being diagnosed with the Zika virus?Read More
If you are already infected with the Zika virus, you may purchase a travel insurance policy, however some benefits may be limited.
- Can I cancel my trip to the 2016 Olympics due to the Zika virus?Read More
If a traveler wants the option to cancel a trip for the 2016 Olympics due to the Zika virus, if the outbreak worsens, or if a traveler is scared to travel due to the Zika virus, we recommend purchasing a policy with the Cancel For Any Reason benefit.