No, a storm does not need to develop into a hurricane to be covered by the Hurricane & Weather benefit.
The Hurricane & Weather benefit is included in most policies under Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption. This benefit can reimburse your prepaid and non-refundable trip expenses if you purchased your policy before the storm was named and you meet one of the policy’s specific covered reasons.
Typically, covered reasons include the following:
- Your flight or cruise is delayed due to inclement weather
- Your hotel or other accommodations are rendered uninhabitable by the storm
- Your own home is rendered uninhabitable by the storm
- A hurricane warning for your destination within 24-48 hours of your departure
- A mandatory evacuation at your destination
This information is time-sensitive and may vary by policy. If you have questions about a specific policy, please contact us directly at 800-240-0369. Our customer service representatives are available 24/7 and are delighted to help.