Depending on your destination, you may be covered under the Trip Cancellation benefit if your flight is canceled due to the terrorist attacks in Brussels.
In order for the Trip Cancellation benefit to be triggered, your travel insurance policy must include Terrorism coverage, and the recent bombings in Brussels must meet your policy’s Terrorism requirements. Most policies include some or all of the following requirements:
- Attack must be deemed as “terrorism” by the U.S. Department of State
- Attack must occur after you have purchased a policy
- Attack must occur in a city on your itinerary, or within a specified number of miles from a city on your itinerary (typically 50)
- Attack must occur within a specified number of days from your scheduled departure date (typically 7-30 days)
- Some policies require there have been no recent terrorist attacks in that destination
Most of the policies available on squaremouth.com include coverage for Terrorism. However, if your flight is canceled, but your policy does not include Terrorism coverage or the Terrorism benefit isn’t triggered, you may be able to receive reimbursement or a credit toward a future trip through your airline.
If the recent attacks in Belgium meet your policy’s Terrorism requirements, and your trip is canceled, you may be covered for 100% of the trip cost you insured.
Contact your travel insurance provider to understand your coverage and, if necessary, begin the claims process. Contact information for each provider can be found on your certificate, as well as in our Claims information center.
This information is time sensitive and may change as events unfold. Please check back for updated FAQs and provider position statements. Information may vary based on the travel insurance policy. If you have questions about a specific policy, please contact us directly at 800-240-0369. Our customer service representatives are available 24/7.