Thousands of travelers are impacted by severe weather each hurricane season. Squaremouth’s Hurricane Center explains travel insurance coverage specific to hurricanes. This resource is regularly updated with provider position statements, press releases, and answers to FAQs.
Trending Fact Sheets and Press Releases
- How Travel Insurance Can Cover an Extended School Year After Record-Breaking Hurricane Season, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL October 25, 2017 — Damage from hurricanes Harvey and Irma temporarily shut down schools in Texas and throughout the Southeast, causing some schools to extend the school year into the upcoming holiday break.
- After Record-Setting Hurricane Month, Squaremouth Explains Travel Insurance CoverageRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL September 29, 2017 — In the past month, hurricanes Harvey and Irma halted travel in the U.S., and Maria ripped through the Caribbean as a Category 5 storm. With two months left in hurricane season, leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, explains the key travel insurance takeaways travelers should know now.
- What to Know About Travel Insurance if Hurricane Maria Halts Your Caribbean Travel PlansRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL September 21, 2017 — Hurricane Irma ripped through the Caribbean as a Category 5 storm, leaving many areas uninhabitable. With Hurricane Maria now hitting the same region, travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, explains travel insurance coverage for those whose Caribbean vacations are impacted by the storm.
- The Travel Insurance Coverage You May Not Know You Have for Hurricane IrmaRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL September 8, 2017 — Florida residents are the second most frequent travelers in the U.S., according to sales data from leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth. With Hurricane Irma halting travel and threatening Florida, residents may be unaware of the coverage they have.
- Travel Insurance Claims Advice if Hurricane Irma Ruins Your TripRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL September 5, 2017 — Hurricane Harvey forced more travelers to cancel their trips than any other single event this year, according to claims data from travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth. With powerful Hurricane Irma approaching the Caribbean, Squaremouth expects even more claims for trip cancellations.
- Hurricane Harvey: Travel Insurance Coverage For Labor Day Weekend Travel ComplicationsRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL August 30, 2017 — Hurricane Harvey’s torrential rain is expected to continue this week, jeopardizing Labor Day Weekend travel plans. Leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, explains when travel insurance can refund travelers if the storm ruins their travel plans.
- Hurricane Harvey: 3 Ways Travel Insurance Can Cover the Dangerous StormRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL August 25, 2017 - Residents of Texas are some of the most frequent travelers in the United States, according to travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth. With Hurricane Harvey expected to bring widespread flooding and winds to the state, Squaremouth explains 3 ways travel insurance can cover those impacted by the historic storm.
- What Happens When a Storm Hits? Squaremouth Explains Travel Insurance for Hurricane SeasonRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL May 31, 2017 — With 15 named storms in 2016, last hurricane season’s impact on travel was higher than usual. Entering what could be an even more destructive hurricane season, leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, explains how travel insurance can help when a hurricane hits.
- See all 13 articles
- Fact Sheet: Squaremouth Explains Travel Insurance Coverage for HurricanesRead More
Leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth explains travel insurance coverage for hurricanes.
- Hurricane Matthew: Travel Insurance No Longer Available, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL October 3, 2016 — Hurricane Matthew serves as an unfortunate reminder that late-season hurricanes can still affect travel, but it is now too late for travelers to get coverage for the storm, says leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth.
- Hurricane Newton: Can I Cancel My Trip? Squaremouth Explains Travel Insurance CoverageRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL September 6, 2016 — As Hurricane Newton makes landfall in Mexico and impacts popular tourist destinations, Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison site, explains travel insurance coverage for affected travelers.
- Hurricane Season: 3 Things You Thought You Knew About Travel Insurance That Are Wrong, Says SquaremouthRead More
The worst time to find out you’re wrong about your travel insurance coverage is when a hurricane is threatening to ruin your trip. Leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth reveals the three biggest misconceptions travelers have about travel insurance for hurricanes.
- Insurance May Not Cover Strongest Hurricane on RecordRead More
ST PETERSBURG, FL October 23, 2015 -- Virtually overnight, Hurricane Patricia intensified to the strongest storm on record, with Puerto Vallarta in its path. While residents prepare for the worst, travelers with upcoming trips to the popular destination are left with few options. According to Squaremouth, one of the nation’s leading travel insurance comparison sites, it is now too late to buy a travel insurance policy for the storm.
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover a tropical storm or hurricane?Read More
You can buy travel insurance with coverage for a tropical storm or hurricane up until the day before your departure date, as long as the storm has not been named.
- Does a storm have to become a hurricane to be covered by travel insurance?Read More
No, a storm does not need to develop into a hurricane to be covered by the Hurricane & Weather benefit.
- Does the Hurricane & Weather benefit cover tropical storms?Read More
Yes, losses related to tropical storms can be covered by the Hurricane & Weather benefit.
- What types of current events are covered by travel insurance?
- Can I still buy travel insurance after a tropical storm or hurricane is named?Read More
While you can still buy a travel insurance policy after a storm is named, the policy will not include coverage for the storm.
- See all 14 FAQs
- What if my flight or cruise is delayed because of a hurricane?Read More
If your flight or cruise is delayed due to a hurricane, travel insurance can cover additional costs and lost expenses under the Travel Delay and Missed Connection benefits.
- Can I still buy a travel insurance policy for hurricane season?Read More
Yes, you can still buy a policy with coverage for hurricane season. However, you cannot buy a policy with coverage for a specific storm once it is named.
- Can I still buy travel insurance for Hurricane Matthew?Read More
No, travel insurance is no longer available with coverage for Hurricane Matthew.
- What if my flight or cruise is delayed or canceled due to a hurricane?Read More
Travel insurance can cover many of your lost or additional expenses due to a cruise or flight delay or cancellation because of a hurricane.
- What if I want to cancel my vacation because of a hurricane?Read More
You may be covered to cancel or interrupt your trip if your policy includes hurricane coverage and you meet the policy’s requirements.