ST. PETERSBURG, FL March 21, 2016 — Following the March 19 suicide bombing in Istanbul, travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth explains travel insurance coverage related to the terrorist event.
Key Facts About Travel Insurance for the Istanbul Terrorist Bombing
Travelers May Be Covered to Cancel Trips Due to Terrorist Bombing
Travelers may be covered to cancel an upcoming trip to Istanbul or return home early from their current trip if their travel insurance policy includes terrorism coverage.
- Those who purchased a travel insurance policy prior to the day of the bombing, March 19, may be covered to cancel an upcoming trip to Istanbul, depending on their policy’s coverage
- Their travel insurance policy must include terrorism coverage under the Trip Cancellation benefit – Read the terrorism coverage for every policy on Squaremouth
Common Travel Insurance Requirements for Terrorism Coverage
In order for a traveler to be covered to cancel their trip and receive a refund, travel insurance policies typically require some or all of the following criteria be met:
- The act is declared terrorism by the U.S. Department of State
- The terrorist attack occurs in or near a city on their itinerary
- The terrorist attack occurs within 7-30 days of their departure date
- A few policies will not provide cancellation coverage for terrorism if a previous terrorist attack has occurred in the same city within the past 90 days
- Note: This means the January 12 suicide bombing in Istanbul could affect the availability of coverage on some policies
Option for Travelers Who Do Not Meet Cancellation Criteria
Travelers whose trips do not meet the criteria for terrorism coverage must have the Cancel For Any Reason upgrade to be able to cancel out of fear of traveling due to the Istanbul terrorist attack. The Cancel For Any Reason upgrade significantly increases the premium and includes the following stipulations:
- Only available within 14-30 days of the initial trip deposit
- Only reimburses up to 75% of the trip cost
- Travelers must insure 100% of their trip cost
- Travelers must cancel at least 2-3 days before their departure date
Istanbul Terrorist Attack and Travel Insurance Information Center
Squaremouth launched the Istanbul Terrorist Attack and Travel Insurance Information Center to keep travelers up-to-date with travel insurance coverage related to the March 19 Istanbul suicide bombing. This online resource is updated with official provider position statements, answers to frequently asked questions, and current government travel alerts and notices related to the terrorist attack in Istanbul.