Squaremouth’s Natural Disaster Center explains travel insurance coverage related to tornadoes, earthquakes, and other natural disasters that may disrupt travel. This resource is regularly updated with provider position statements, press releases, and answers to FAQs.
Fact Sheets and Press Releases
Recent Volcanic Eruptions May Cause Travel Insurance QuestionsRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. January 16, 2020 — Recent volcanic eruptions in the Philippines and New Zealand highlight the impact that unexpected events can have on travelers.
Travel Alerts, Evacuation Orders and Arson Impact Travel Insurance for Australia
Travel to Puerto Rico Amidst Earthquakes and State of Emergency
What Travelers Heading to Australia Need to Know About Wildfires and Travel Insurance
3 Reasons Why New Zealand Volcano Won’t Trigger Travel Insurance Benefits, Says Squaremouth
Travel Insurance for When the Unthinkable Happens
Travel Insurance Coverage for California Wildfires ExplainedRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. November 13, 2018 — California’s catastrophic wildfires are threatening the homes of over 13 million residents and forcing evacuations in major metropolitan areas. With high winds expected to worsen the fires this week, travelers may be concerned about upcoming trips, especially with the Thanksgiving holiday just a week away. Travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, explains 3 ways travel insurance can help travelers impacted by the fires.
3 Things You Don’t Know About Travel Insurance Coverage for Wildfires But ShouldRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. August 9, 2018 - This summer, wildfires have burned out of control in California and Greece. Leading travel insurance comparison website, Squaremouth, says whether your home or travel destination is in the fire’s path, travel insurance may be able to help. But before buying a policy, here are 3 things travelers don’t know about coverage for wildfires, but should.
- See all 10 articles
Traveling to Greece this Summer? Travel Insurance Amidst Deadly Wildfires ExplainedRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. July 24, 2018 – Deadly wildfires outside of Athens, Greece have forced thousands of residents and tourists to evacuate the popular destination. According to travel insurance comparison site, squaremouth.com, Greece is the 10th most popular international destination this summer among U.S. travelers, with a 51% year-over-year increase. As the fires continue to burn, Squaremouth explains how travel insurance can help travelers impacted by these events.
Amid Uncertain Conditions, It’s Too Late to Buy Travel Insurance for Hawaii’s Kilauea VolcanoRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. May 15, 2018 — Nearly two weeks after its initial eruption, Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano is still active, causing more local evacuations and health warnings. Despite the uncertainty surrounding the volcano, leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, advises why travelers with upcoming trips to the destination should not buy a new policy.
- Can I cancel my upcoming trip because of a flood?
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover a flood?
- Does travel insurance cover planned power outages during a wildfire?
- What types of natural disasters are covered by travel insurance?
- Can I cancel my upcoming trip because of a wildfire?
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover a wildfire?
- Am I covered if I have to evacuate because of a wildfire?
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover an earthquake?
- See all 25 FAQs
- What types of current events are covered by travel insurance?
- What if my flight is delayed because of the earthquake?
- Am I covered if my trip is delayed because of the earthquake?
- Can I cancel my upcoming trip because of an earthquake?
- Can I still buy travel insurance after an earthquake happens at my destination?
- What coverage do I have if an earthquake strikes while I’m at my destination?
- Does my travel insurance cover me to come home early because of the earthquake?
- Can I cancel due to the earthquake if I have Cancel For Any Reason?
- What if I’m afraid to travel due to the earthquake?
- Is non-medical evacuation coverage available if the Icelandic volcano erupts while I'm traveling?
- What coverage is available if the Icelandic volcano erupts while I'm traveling?
- Can I cancel my trip if my airline stops traveling to my destination due to the Icelandic volcano?
- Will my coverage extend if I am unable to leave my destination due to the volcano eruption?
- When do I need to purchase a policy to have coverage for the Icelandic volcano?
- Is an eruption of the volcano a covered reason to cancel my trip?
- Can I purchase a travel insurance policy after the Icelandic volcano has erupted?
- Does the travel delay benefit cover an eruption of the Icelandic volcano?
Natural Disaster Event Center External Resources
Natural disasters, such as volcanoes, earthquakes, and tornadoes, can leave large areas uninhabitable and significantly impact travel. Check with local authorities at your destination, and use these resources to determine if your destination has been evacuated or deemed uninhabitable: