ST. PETERSBURG, FL July 15, 2016 — The recent attack in Nice, France has raised concerns once again about safe travel to Europe. Squaremouth established the Nice Attack and Travel Insurance Information Center to answer travelers’ questions about coverage related to the July 14 attack at a Bastille Day celebration in Southern France.
Key Facts About Travel Insurance Coverage for the Attack in Nice, France
- Travelers can still buy policies with Terrorism coverage for future trips to France
- Coverage is no longer available for the July 14 attack
- Travelers may be eligible to cancel their trip due to the attack in Nice if the event meets their policy’s definition of terrorism (see provider position statements)
- 24-hour emergency assistance is available on all policies to help travelers affected by the attack
Travelers With Trips Planned to France
- Travelers with policies in place before July 14 may be eligible to cancel their upcoming trip if they meet their policy’s requirements for Terrorism coverage
- In general, travelers must be visiting Nice or a nearby city within the next 7-30 days to be covered to cancel
- Travelers who don’t meet the requirements can cancel without providing a reason if they have the Cancel For Any Reason upgrade, though they will only receive up to 75% reimbursement of their trip expenses
Travelers Currently in France
- Travelers currently in Nice or a nearby city should contact their travel insurance provider’s emergency assistance hotline
- Emergency Medical and Medical Evacuation benefits are available regardless of whether the event is considered a terrorist act
- If the event meets their policy’s definition of terrorism, travelers in Nice may be covered to return home early from their trip because of the attack
Visit the Nice Attack and Travel Insurance Information Center for updates on coverage related to the attack. This resource is regularly updated by Squaremouth’s travel insurance experts with new information, provider position statements, travel notices and frequently asked questions related to the attack in Nice, France.