Squaremouth’s travel insurance providers give their official position statements in response to Hurricane Michael, which became a named storm on October 7, 2018, and is approaching the Gulf Coast.
Local media sources have reported on Monday, October 8th, that Florida Governor Rick Scott has declared a state of emergency for northwestern Florida ahead of Tropical Storm Michael, which could potentially become a hurricane, before it makes landfall around the middle of the week commencing October 8th. Landfall is predicted to take place along the Florida or Alabama panhandle, although this cannot yet be confirmed. The tropical storm strengthened from a tropical depression on Sunday, October 7th, off the Gulf of Mexico, and is expected to bring flooding rain across the Yucatan Peninsula and western Cuba on its way north.
Members should monitor local media outlets for updates on the path and location of the storm. Heed any directives given by the authorities for the state of emergency to minimize exposure to the storm and other associated risks. Plan any journey well in advance and maintain extra vigilance in the face of debris, high winds and flash floods.
What you need to know about your plan:
As of October 8th, the event is no longer considered an unforeseen event. Coverage related to the tropical storm is not available for HTH TripProtector plans purchased after this date.
HTH TripProtector plans purchased on or prior to October 8th may provide coverage related to the event, including Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption and Trip Delay benefits.
Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage for Natural Disasters:
For an event related to a natural disaster to be covered under TripProtector Classic or TripProtector Preferred plans, the event must occur after a plan has been purchased and meet at least one of the following requirements. The TripProtector Economy plan does not provide coverage for natural disasters.
- Sickness, accidental injury or death of an insured person or an insured person’s family member or traveling companion.
- Your destination accommodations are rendered uninhabitable.
- Inclement weather resulting in the complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or destination for at least 48 consecutive hours.
- You or a traveling companion being hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury, subpoenaed, the victim of felonious assault during the trip; having residence made uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster; or burglary of your residence during the trip.
- Death or hospitalization of your host at your destination.
- You or a family member, who are military personnel, are called to emergency duty for a natural disaster; this does not include war.
Baggage & Personal Effects Coverage for Natural Disasters:
For an event to be covered under the Baggage & Personal Effects benefit within HTH TripProtector plans, it must meet all the following requirements. Coverage is secondary to any coverage provided by a Common Carrier. There will be a per article limit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.
- The baggage and personal effects must be owned by the insured person.
- The police or other authority must be notified within twenty-four (24) hours in the event of theft.
- You must file written proof of loss with the Company within 90 days from the date of loss, attaching copies of airline, cruise line or Common Carrier claims forms, original police reports, passport/visa reissuance receipts, an itemization and description of lost items and their estimated value, and all receipts, credit card statements, canceled checks, photos, or other appropriate documentation as may be required.
- The baggage and personal effects must not be items which are specifically excluded by your insurance contract with HTH Worldwide.
Travel Delay coverage for Natural Disasters:
For an event to be covered under the Trip Delay benefit within HTH TripProtector plans, it must meet the following requirements for minimum length of delay:
- TripProtector Economy plan: 8 consecutive hours
- TripProtector Classic plan: 6 consecutive hours
- TripProtector Preferred plan: 6 consecutive hours
In addition to Trip Cancellation, Interruption and Baggage & Personal Effects Coverage, other benefits, including Emergency Medical Evacuation, may also be available for coverage related to the Tropical Storm.
In the event of an emergency, please contact HTH Worldwide’s 24-Hour Emergency Assistance department as soon as reasonably possible at:
Emergency Assistance Inside U.S.: 888-243-2358 (Toll Free)
Emergency Assistance Outside U.S. (Collect Call): 610-254-8771
Emergency Assistance Email: email@example.com
In the event of a claim, please contact HTH Worldwide’s Claim department at 888-243-2358 or HTHclaims@hthworldwide.com
This information is meant to be a summarized overview of benefits in HTH TripProtector plans that can assist those in need due to this event. Please always refer to the plan documents for specific details. If you have any questions, please contact HTH Worldwide at 888-243-2358. Our agents are available 24 hours per day and are happy to help.
Hurricane Michael was named a tropical storm on Sunday, October 7, 2018, and developed into a hurricane on Monday, October 8, 2018 in the Gulf of Mexico.
IMG members who purchased a travel protection plan may receive trip cancellation, trip interruption, missed connection or travel delay benefits if their travel plans are affected by this event.
Trip Cancellation can reimburse nonrefundable trip payments in the event of cancellation due to:
- Your or a travel companion’s home or destination being made uninhabitable by fire, flood, burglary or a natural disaster (additional terms apply);
- Your or a traveling companion’s place of employment is rendered unsuitable for business by fire, flood, burglary or a natural disaster and you or a traveling companion is required to work as a result;
- Inclement weather that causes complete cessation of services for at least 6 consecutive hours of the common carrier on which you are scheduled to travel;
- A government-mandated shutdown of an airport or air traffic control system due to a natural disaster;
- You or your traveling companion is in the military and called to emergency duty for a national disaster other than war;
- Up to 7 days mandatory evacuation ordered by local government authorities at your trip destination (or official public evacuation notices or recommendations without a mandatory evacuation order issued) due to adverse weather or natural disaster; or
- A cancellation of your trip within 24 hours of your scheduled departure date and time if your trip destination is under a hurricane warning issued by the NOAA National Hurricane Center, provided the cancellation of your trip occurs more than 14 days following your effective date of coverage for the trip cancellation benefits.
Other benefits may also be available depending on the type of coverage purchased and the specific circumstances of the loss. Please refer to the plan for complete terms and conditions of coverage. This is a brief description of coverage provided under form series TP-210 and TP-401and is subject to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions of the plan. Please see the plan for complete details. Coverage may vary or may not be available in all states.
In event of a claim please contact us at:
iTravelInsured Claims Department
P.O. Box 88503
Indianapolis, IN 46208-0500
Telephone: 1.866.243.7524 or 1.317.655.9798
For general inquiries please contact us at:
iTravelInsured Agency Services
P.O. Box 88509
Indianapolis, IN 46208-0509
Telephone: 1.866.347.6673 or 1.317.655.9796
Insurance policies described above are underwritten by the United States Fire Insurance
Company. C&F and Crum & Forster are registered trademarks of United State Fire
Insurance Company. The Crum & Forster group of companies is rated A (Excellent) by
AM Best Company 2017.
On October 7, 2018, Hurricane Michael was named as a tropical storm. The storm has developed into a hurricane as it heads toward the Gulf Coast.
What you need to know about your policy:
As of October 7, the storm is no longer considered an unforeseen event. Coverage related to the storm is not available for Tin Leg policies purchased after this date.
Tin Leg policies purchased on or prior to October 7 may provide coverage related to the event, including Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption and Trip Delay benefits.
Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage for Hurricanes:
In order for an event to be covered under Tin Leg policies, the event must occur after a policy has been purchased and meet at least one of the following requirements.
- Inclement weather resulting in the complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or destination for the following specified amounts of time:
- Tin Leg Economy policy: 24 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Standard policy: 24 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Luxury policy: any delay or cancellation of travel
- Accommodations at your destination are made uninhabitable or inaccessible
- Your or your traveling companion’s primary residence has been rendered uninhabitable
Travel Delay coverage for Hurricanes:
In order for a hurricane to be covered under the Trip Delay benefit within Tin Leg policies, it must meet the following requirements for minimum length of delay:
- Tin Leg Economy policy: 12 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Standard policy: 6 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Luxury policy: 6 consecutive hours
In addition to Trip Cancellation and Travel Delay coverage, other benefits, including Emergency Medical and Medical Evacuation, may also be available for coverage related to the storm.
In the event of an emergency, please contact Tin Leg’s 24 Hour Emergency Assistance department as soon as reasonably possible at:
Emergency Assistance Inside US: 844-927-9265 (Toll Free)
Emergency Assistance Outside US (Collect Call): 001-727-264-5657
Emergency Assistance Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the event of a claim, please contact Tin Leg’s Claim department at 844-240-1233 or email@example.com. Start your claim online: https://tinleg.com/claims/online
Please contact Tin Leg with any questions at 844-240-1233, we are delighted to answer any additional questions.