Official position statements from Squaremouth’s travel insurance providers on Winter Storm Orson.
Berkshire Hathaway Travel Protection is closely monitoring the progress of Winter Storm Orson as it prepares to strike the Northeast. Through our proactive messaging, we have been able to contact our AirCare travelers whose flights have been affected by the storm, and we are prepared to assist all of our customers impacted by the storm.
Depending on the BHTP policy purchased, travelers may be eligible for coverage that interrupts travel plans. Our customers can contact BHTP at 844-411-BHTP to review the specific benefits of their policy.
On February 10, 2017, Winter Storm Orson became a named storm.
What you need to know about your policy:
On February 10, 2017, Winter Storm Orson was named. Coverage related to the winter storm is no longer available for Tin Leg policies purchased after this date. Tin Leg policies purchased prior to February 10, 2017, may provide coverage related to the event, including Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption and Trip Delay benefits.
Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage for Hurricane and Weather:
In order for an event to be covered under Tin Leg policies, the event must occur after the policy has been purchased and meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Result in the complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or destination for the following specified amounts of time:
- Tin Leg Economy policy: 48 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Standard policy: 24 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Luxury policy: 12 consecutive hours
- Accommodations at your destination are made uninhabitable
- Your or your traveling companion’s principal place of residence has been rendered uninhabitable
- A mandatory evacuation is ordered by local authorities at your destination. You must have 50% or less of your trip remaining when the evacuation ends to be eligible for this benefit.
Travel Delay coverage for Hurricane and Weather:
In order for a winter storm to be covered under the Trip Delay benefit within Tin Leg policies, it must meet the following requirements for minimum length of delay:
- Tin Leg Economy policy: 12 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Standard policy: 12 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Luxury policy: 6 consecutive hours
In addition to Trip Cancellation and Travel Delay coverage, other benefits, including Emergency Medical and Medical Evacuation, may also be available for coverage related to the winter storm.
In the event of an emergency, please contact Tin Leg’s 24 Hour Emergency Assistance department as soon as reasonably possible at:
- Emergency Assistance Inside US: 844-927-9265 (Toll Free)
- Emergency Assistance Outside US (Collect Call): 001-727-264-5657
- Emergency Assistance Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the event of a claim, please contact Tin Leg’s Claim department at 844-240-1233 or email@example.com.
Start your claim online: https://tinleg.com/claims/online
Please contact Tin Leg with any questions at 844-240-1233, we are delighted to answer any additional questions.
Trawick Members who have a Safe Travels USA Trip Protection policy that was purchased before the Winter Storm was named, may be eligible for Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Travel Delay and or Emergency Assistance if they are directly affected by the storm. Please see the policy wording for more details or contact Trawick International at 888-301-9289. Please contact GBG Assist 877-916-7920 to find a provider in the area or ask questions about what coverage you may have that can be used for an Emergency or to cancel your trip. The Winter Storm is no longer considered an unforeseen event for new purchases of Trip Cancellation protection.