After Buying a Policy

What if my name changes during my trip?

Last Updated:

Short Answer

A name change will not invalidate a policy, however, in the event of a claim you may need to provide proof that your new name and your originally listed name are the same person.

More Detail

You can prove your identity by supplying your insurance provider with documents such as a marriage certificate, record of divorce, certified court order, or valid unexpired US Passport.

While a name change will not invalidate a policy, it may cause confusion in the claims process, resulting in a longer process and/or the insurance provider asking you to prove that the claim is being made by the originally insured traveler.

If your name changes prior to your scheduled trip departure, please contact your provider directly to update your policy.

This information can vary based on the travel insurance policy. Please review the policy certificate to verify coverage. If you have questions about a specific policy, please contact us directly at 800-240-0369. Our customer service representatives are available from 8am to 10pm ET seven days a week and are delighted to help!