ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. November 7, 2019 — Egypt is once again the fastest-growing international destination for U.S. travelers, but reports show new destinations are on the rise, according to travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth.
Squaremouth reveals new travel trends for the top 5 fastest-growing international destinations.
5 Fastest-Growing International Destinations for U.S. Travelers
- Egypt remains the fastest-growing international destination for the second year in a row with an 84% increase in travelers this year.
- Puerto Rico secures a top 5 spot with a 42% increase, just two years after the impact of Hurricane Maria.
- Portugal returns to the top 5 list after experiencing slow growth in 2018.
- U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Portugal, and Panama have surpassed Morocco, Tanzania, and Colombia as top 5 fastest-growing tourist destinations over last year.
|Country||Year Over Year Increase|
|U.S. Virgin Islands||+ 44.30%|
|Puerto Rico||+ 42.13%|
Average Trip Cost Increases Slightly
- Trip cost increased less than 2% on average for the top 5 destinations.
- Travelers heading to Egypt saw the highest increase and spent the most on their trips, with an average cost of $5,145.
- Travelers going to Panama spent the least at $3,023.
|Country||Average Trip Cost||Year Over Year Change|
|U.S. Virgin Islands||$3,744||- 7.04%|
|Puerto Rico||$3,086||+ 3.63%|
All Generations Enjoy Top Destinations
- Millennial travel saw the highest increase in tourism to Panama, more than doubling over last year.
- Egypt saw the highest increases from Gen Z, Baby Boomer, and Silent Generation travelers.
|Country||Gen Z||Millennial||Gen X||Baby Boomer||Silent Generation|
|Egypt||+ 149%||+ 62%||+ 64%||+ 99%||+ 100%|
|U.S. Virgin Islands||+ 26%||+ 37%||+ 38%||+ 40%||+ 59%|
|Puerto Rico||+ 51%||+ 51%||+ 51%||+ 33%||+ 16%|
|Portugal||+ 31%||+ 30%||+ 39%||+ 45%||+ 47%|
|Panama||+ 97%||+ 104%||+ 41%||+ 29%||+ 29%|
Surprising Decrease for Popular Destinations
- Iceland grew significantly in popularity in 2017 and 2018, however the closure of low cost carrier WOW Airline in March 2019 may have contributed to a 13.28% decline this past year.
- Russia and China also saw a slowdown in growth, decreasing by 4.74% and 4.40% respectively.
|Country||Year Over Year Decrease|
|Russian Federation||- 4.74%|
Methodology: Data is based on travel insurance policies purchased through Squaremouth.com for travel between 1/1/2019-12/31/2019. Statistics reflect year-over-year changes unless otherwise noted.
Notes to editors
Available Topic Expert: Megan Moncrief, Chief Marketing Officer, is available for comment and interview. firstname.lastname@example.org (727) 378-0938
About Squaremouth: Squaremouth.com has insured over 2 million travelers. Using Squaremouth’s intuitive quoting and comparison engine, award-winning support team, and verified customer reviews, travelers can save time and money to find the best travel insurance policy for their trip.