ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. November 20, 2019 — This Thanksgiving travel season is predicted to be the busiest in 14 years, according to AAA Travel, with over 55 million U.S. travelers. Travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, reveals three surprising Thanksgiving travel trends for this busy holiday season.
Financial Matters are a Main Concern
While weather was the top concern last year, this year more Thanksgiving travelers want coverage to cancel a trip due to financial concerns or work reasons.
- After seeing multiple travel suppliers declare bankruptcy earlier this year, 280% more travelers are looking for protection if their travel supplier goes insolvent.
- Traveler interest in being able to cancel a trip if they are unexpectedly unable to take time off work or are laid off has increased by 50%.
Notable International Destination Spikes
International destinations are seeing more U.S. travelers visit over the Thanksgiving holiday compared to last year, with an average increase of 63% to top destinations.
- Holiday travel to Jamaica tripled since last year, making it the fourth most popular destination for Thanksgiving travelers.
- France has become more popular with 145% increase in visitors this Thanksgiving travel season.
- Italy is seeing a 105% increase in visitation, even though travelers are spending 73% more on their trips, making it the most expensive Thanksgiving destination this year.
U.S. Still Top Choice for Travelers
For the third year in a row, the United States is the most popular destination for U.S. travelers this Thanksgiving, increasing by over 12%.
- Travelers are choosing to spend less on their domestic trips this year, spending an average of $2,464.