ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. November 14, 2019 — Each year, travel insurance company, Squaremouth, insures thousands of travelers as they head to the Caribbean. While more travelers than ever are visiting these destinations, they are showing increased concern due to recent hurricanes. According to Squaremouth’s data, there has been a 13% increase in policies purchased that specifically include hurricane coverage for travelers headed to top Caribbean destinations.
With tourism continuing to rebound following Hurricanes Irma, Maria, and Dorian, Squaremouth analyzed customer data to explain the effect these hurricanes have had on popular Caribbean destinations.
Puerto Rico Gains Popularity
- Just two years after Hurricane Maria made landfall in Puerto Rico, traveler visitation to the island has spiked 39%, marking the highest increase since 2012.
Travel to U.S. Virgin Islands Spikes
- With a 44% growth, the U.S. Virgin Islands are rebounding after experiencing a steady decline in tourism during the two years following Hurricanes Maria and Irma.
- Squaremouth has seen the cost for trips to the U.S. Virgin Islands decrease by 7%, which could be a reason for the increase in visitation despite recent natural disasters.
Bahamas Is Still Top Choice for Caribbean Vacations
- While The Bahamas was impacted by Hurricane Dorian in September of this year, Squaremouth reports still show a 16% increase in trips to The Bahamas booked after September 1.
- This increase keeps The Bahamas as one of the 10 most popular destinations for U.S. travelers again this year.
Methodology: Data is based on travel insurance policies purchased through Squaremouth.com for travel between 1/1/2019-12/31/2019. Statistics reflect year-over-year changes unless otherwise noted.
Notes to editors
Available Topic Expert: Megan Moncrief, Chief Marketing Officer, is available for comment and interview. email@example.com (727) 378-0938
About Squaremouth: Squaremouth compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth's comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare travel insurance policies side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.