ST. PETERSBURG FL April 10, 2017 — More Americans are traveling out of the country than ever before, according to travel insurance comparison site, squaremouth.com. Using sales data for trips to its 10 most popular destinations, Squaremouth breaks down key travel trends over the past three years.
Top 10 Destinations for U.S. Travelers – 3-Year Growth Rate
2. Mexico (+63%)
3. Italy (+35%)
4. Canada (+117%)
5. United Kingdom (+35%)
7. Spain (+65%)
8. Bahamas (+17%)
9. Germany (+36%)
10. Israel (+40%)
International Travel Outpaces Domestic Travel
Travel to popular international destinations has grown at a faster rate than domestic travel over the past three years.
- The U.S. is the top overall destination, but it remains one of the slowest growing
- Canada was the only top destination to double its total number of visitors
Average Spending Plateaus for U.S. Travelers
Overall, the average spending for U.S. travelers has flattened over the past three years.
- The Bahamas (+30%) and the U.S. (+25%) saw the largest increases in average trip cost, while no other country on the list saw an increase above 10%
- Trips to Italy are the most expensive of the top 10 destinations, with an average trip cost of $4,654
- Trips to Mexico are the least expensive at $2,264
Concern Rising Over Terrorism, Inclement Weather
Terrorist attacks and inclement weather have become two of the most common concerns for U.S. travelers buying Trip Cancellation coverage.
- The number of travelers buying insurance with Terrorism coverage for trips to the top 10 destinations has quadrupled in the past three years
- Interest in Hurricane & Weather coverage has more than doubled in that span
Squaremouth compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth's comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare insurance products side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com
Available Topic Expert:
- Steven Benna
- (727) 619-7262