ST. PETERSBURG FL December 19, 2017 — A record-breaking 107 million U.S. residents are expected to travel this Christmas, according to data from AAA Travel. Leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, breaks down the key travel trends this holiday season.
U.S. Residents Choose to Stay Closer to Home
Holiday trips within North America are outpacing overseas trips for U.S. residents this year.
- The United States has surpassed Mexico as the most popular destination this holiday season
- 90% more U.S. travelers are traveling to Canada, the fastest-growing of the 10 most popular destinations
Top Traveler Concerns Reflect Recent Events
Following recent news-breaking events in popular destinations, such as the wildfires in California and the terrorist attacks in New York, travelers are showing increased concern over cancelling their trips.
- 22% more travelers are buying policies specifically for Terrorism coverage this holiday season
- 17% more travelers are buying policies with Hurricane & Weather for coverage against inclement weather or natural disasters
Domestic Trips Cost More for U.S. Residents in 2017
The overall average trip cost for U.S. residents this holiday season remained flat, increasing by less than 1% over last year.
- While overall trip costs were consistent, the average cost of a domestic trip increased by more than 15% over last year
- International trip costs fell by nearly 1%