ST. PETERSBURG FL August 11, 2017 — With U.S. residents spending more on their trips, more travelers are looking to travel insurance for financial protection. Leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, breaks down travel insurance spending for U.S. residents.
U.S. Residents Spend Nearly $4,000 Per Trip
For the first time since 2013, the average amount U.S. residents spent per trip increased year-over-year.
- The most expensive trip insured on squaremouth.com in the past year was $146,496
- The overall average trip cost for U.S. residents in the past year is up to $3,779
- With an average of $5,011, South Carolina residents spent the most per trip, while Arkansas residents spent the least with an average of $2,351
Spending on Travel Insurance Increases Nationwide
Residents from 46 states and D.C. increased the total amount they spent on travel insurance over the past year.
- 9 states saw year-over-year increases of more than 30%
- Alaskan residents spent 50% more on travel insurance in the past year, the largest increase of any state
- Compared to last year, residents of Oklahoma spent the least on travel insurance with a decrease of 10%
Mexico Remains the Top Destination for Most States
Mexico has been the most popular international destination for U.S. travelers every year for the past six years.
- Mexico is the top international destination for travelers from 37 states
- Italy is the second most popular international destination overall