Travel insurance carriers release position statements when current events affect coverage. The following is a position statement from Global Alert Administrators and Travelsafe on the volcanic eruption in Iceland.
If your policy was purchased April 13, 2010 or prior and your travel is affected by the volcanic eruption in Iceland, the following provides a brief summary of the coverage provided by your policy. All benefits are subject to the maximum limits listed in the schedule of coverages. Please refer to the certificate of coverage for full details regarding the policy’s benefits, limitations, and exclusions.
- Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption – The policy provides a benefit in the event a trip is canceled or you must interrupt your trip because your common carrier ceases operations for at least 12 consecutive hours due to inclement weather; your trip destination becomes uninhabitable due to a natural disaster; or your arrival on your trip is delayed and causes you to lose 50% or more of your scheduled trip duration due to a delay of a common carrier or natural disaster.
- Benefits for Trip Cancellation may include reimbursement of the non-refundable trip costs insured under the policy. Trip Interruption benefits may include reimbursement of the unused portion of the land or water arrangements plus additional transportation expenses incurred either to join, catch up to, or return from the trip.
- Missed Connection – The policy provides a benefit in the event your arrival on your trip is delayed 3 hours or more due to a delay of your common carrier or due to a natural disaster.
- Benefits may include reimbursement of the unused portion of your land or water arrangements and additional transportation costs to join your trip.
- Travel Delay – The policy provides reimbursement for reasonable accommodations, meal, and local transportation if during your trip your travel is delayed for 8 hours or more due to a delay of your common carrier or due to natural disaster.
- Medical and Medical Evacuation – If you are traveling in Iceland and have been injured, please contact the assistance company, One Call, for assistance by calling collect to 1-603-894-4710. The policy provides reimbursement on an excess basis for medical expenses incurred due to injury. It also provides evacuation to the nearest adequate medical facility for treatment and medically appropriate transportation home. For travelers in Iceland with an effective date on or after April 14, 2010, medical and medical evacuation benefits may still be available if your sickness or injury occurred after the date your coverage became effective.
- Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation – The policy provides reimbursement for reasonable transportation to the nearest place of safety or to your home in the event of a natural disaster. The evacuation must occur within 10 days of the event and the arrangements must be made by One Call. Please call 1-603-894-4710 collect for assistance.