Coverage Alert – Swine Flu Outbreak
Update 4:00 pm, April 29, 2009
Mondial Assistance (in the United States, Mexico and around the world) continues to closely monitor the outbreak of Swine Flu and the potential impact to our customers. We have prepared answers to many of the questions we have been receiving from our customers. They can be found below along with some general information on the swine flu. If you have a question that is not addressed below, please call us at 1-800-284-8300.
Can I still purchase insurance for this outbreak of swine flu?*
Yes. If you or other covered individuals contract swine flu before or while traveling, we will extend benefits to you as outlined in your Letter of Confirmation and Certificate of Insurance/Policy.
Am I covered for swine flu?*
You may have several benefits available to you including:
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption
- Emergency Medical and Dental
- Emergency Medical Transportation
- Travel Delay
- Trip Inconvenience
- Cancel Anytime customers can cancel their trip for unforeseen circumstances. For example customers who purchased the policy prior to the issuance of the travel advisory to Mexico would be able to cancel due to this event and receive reimbursement as described in your Letter of Confirmation and Certificate of Insurance/Policy. For other policies such as Basic, Classic or Deluxe, there are four covered reasons that may apply for cancellations/interruptions related to swine flu: Illness/Injury, Death, Quarantine, and Loss of Accommodations. Please refer to your Letter of Confirmation and Certificate of Insurance/Policy to verify the coverage you purchased.
Emergency Medical and Dental
- Swine flu would be considered an emergency medical condition if you contract it while traveling. Coverage may be primary or secondary depending on the policy purchased.
Emergency Medical Transportation
- If you contract swine flu and require evacuation, as determined by our consulting physician and the local attending physician, we will take you to the nearest appropriate medical facility. All evacuations must be coordinated by our staff.
- If you are quarantined because of swine flu, most of our policies will pay up to $150 per day per person up to the coverage limit for unexpected meals, accommodations and transportation that result from your delay.
- If you are admitted to the hospital as an inpatient due to swine flu, your policy may provide coverage for a one-time inconvenience payment. Please refer to your Letter of Confirmation and Certificate of Insurance/Policy to verify the coverage you purchased.
* Please note that all of our products have an exclusion for epidemic and pandemic. If the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) identifies this situation as an epidemic or pandemic, then as of the date of the determination it will not be covered under our coverage. PLEASE NOTE: The epidemic/pandemic exclusion does not apply to Connecticut, Minnesota, and New York residents for Emergency Medical benefits and does not apply to Washington state residents at all. Always refer to the Certificate of Insurance/Policy if you have any questions.
How can I find out if my travel supplier will allow me to change the dates of my trip?
SmartMoney’s website does a nice job of summarizing this information for several major airlines, cruise lines and tour operators. http://www.smartmoney.com/Spending/Travel/Swine-Flu-and-Your-Travel-Plans-Key-Facts/. It’s always best to contact the supplier directly for the most up to date information or work with your travel agent.
Can I change the travel dates on my policy if my supplier is allowing me to rebook?
Yes. We are happy to adjust the travel dates on your policy as long as you have not filed a claim and as long as you have not departed on your trip already. If your supplier will charge you a change fee, we will not be able to cover that unless you file a claim on your existing policy. Should you choose to file a claim, you will need to purchase a new policy for the new trip.
Can I cancel if I’m afraid to travel?
Most of our policies do not allow you to receive benefits if you cancel due to change of mind. However, purchasers of our Cancel Anytime plan can cancel for most unforeseen reasons and receive reimbursement of their non-refundable trip costs.
Does my policy cover medical care if I become ill while traveling in Mexico?
Yes. Access America will cover emergency medical treatment for swine flu as long as the insured bought the policy before they contracted the illness. Your Letter of Confirmation will state whether you have this coverage and what the benefit maximum is.
What should I do if I become sick while traveling?
We recommend you seek immediate medical care. If you need assistance locating a doctor, contact us and we can assist you. Also, your policy contains important information about what to do if you become sick while traveling. We urge you to read your policy and keep our phone number (1-800-654-1908) and your policy identification number in a safe place where it can be quickly retrieved.