Many travelers who buy travel insurance are primarily interested in Trip Cancellation, to protect their trip expenses if they are forced to cancel their trip. If they cancel for a reason specifically listed in their policy, they can be refunded 100% of their prepaid and non-refundable trip payments.
Unfortunately, for travelers with pets, the Trip Cancellation benefit does not provide reimbursement for you to cancel your trip due to the death of a pet. However, some policies can cover your for an illness, injury, or death of your service animal.
How Can I Get Cancellation Coverage for a Pet?
The only way to be covered by travel insurance for the death of a pet is with the Cancel For Any Reason benefit. This is an optional upgrade that can be added to some policies for the first 14-21 days after you make your first trip booking.
Under the Cancel For Any Reason, you can be reimbursed for 75% of your prepaid and non-refundable trip expenses if you cancel for a reason not otherwise covered by your policy, such as the death of a pet. In order for coverage to be available under this benefit, you must:
- Purchase your policy within 14-21 days of making your first trip booking
- Insure 100% of your prepaid and non-refundable trip expenses
- Cancel your trip in its entirety at least 2-3 days before your scheduled departure date
What Does Trip Cancellation Cover?
Although the death of a pet is not covered by standard Trip Cancellation policies, many of the top concerns of most travelers can be. Some of these covered reasons include:
- An illness, injury, or death of you, your traveling companion, or your family member
- A hurricane, natural disaster, or other severe weather preventing you from traveling
- A terrorist attack at your destination
- A strike of a common carrier preventing you from travel
- An involuntary termination of employment
Squaremouth helps travelers find the best travel insurance for their trip for the lowest possible price. We are available from 8am to 10pm ET, seven days a week, and will be happy to answer any questions to help you find the right coverage for your trip.