The maximum number of trips applies to annual insurance plans. This is the most trips eligible for coverage during the year.
There is no Maximum Number of Trips with this plan.
“Accident” means a sudden, unexpected, unusual, specific event which occurs at an identifiable time and place, but shall also include exposure resulting from a mishap to a conveyance in which You are traveling.
*This definition changes for residents of the following states: Tennessee. Please click here to refer to your certificate of coverage.
“Accidental Injury” means bodily injury caused by an Accident, directly and independently of all other causes and sustained on or after the Effective Date of this coverage and on or before the Scheduled Return Date. Benefits for Accidental Injury will not be paid for any loss caused by Sickness or other bodily diseases or infirmity.
“Bankruptcy” means the filing of a petition for voluntary or involuntary Bankruptcy in a court of competent jurisdiction under Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code 11 U.S.C. Subsection 101 et seq.
“Business Partner” means an individual who: (a) is involved in a legal partnership; and (b) is actively involved in the day to day management of the business.
“City” means an incorporated municipality having defined borders and does not include the high seas, uninhabited areas, or airspace.
“Common Carrier” means any regularly scheduled land, sea, and/or air conveyance operating under a valid license for the Transportation of passengers for hire.
“Complications of Pregnancy” means a condition whose diagnosis is distinct from pregnancy but is adversely affected or caused by pregnancy.
*This definition changes for residents of the following states: New York. Please click here to refer to your certificate of coverage.
“Covered Trip” means a trip for which You request insurance coverage and pay the required premium, and includes:
a) a period of travel away from home to a destination outside Your City of residence; and
b) the purpose of the trip is business or pleasure; and
c) the trip has defined Departure and Return dates.
“Default” means a material failure or inability to provide contracted services due to financial insolvency.
“Dependent Child(ren)” means Your children, including an unmarried child, stepchild, legally adopted child or foster child who is: less than age 19 and primarily dependent on You for support and maintenance; or who is at least age 19 but less than age 23 and who regularly attends an accredited school or college; and who is primarily dependent on You for support and maintenance.
*This definition changes for residents of the following states: Indiana, Missouri, Montana, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia. Please click here to refer to your certificate of coverage.
“Domestic Partner” means a person, at least 18 years of age, with whom You have been living in a spousal relationship with evidence of cohabitation for at least 6 continuous months prior to the Effective Date of coverage.
*This definition changes for residents of the following states: DC, Florida, Indiana, New York. Please click here to refer to your certificate of coverage.
“Effective Date” means the date and time Your coverage begins, as outlined in Section III. Eligibility and Period of Coverage of the Policy.
“Family Member” means You or Your Traveling Companion’s legal or common law spouse, Domestic Partner, Yours or Your Domestic Partner’s caregiver, parent, legal guardian, step-parent, grandparent, parents-in-law, grandchild, natural or adopted child, foster child, ward, step-child, children-in-law, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew.
*This definition changes for residents of the following states: Colorado. Please click here to refer to your certificate of coverage.
“Inclement Weather” means any severe weather condition which delays the scheduled arrival or departure of a Common Carrier.
“Insured” means a person who has enrolled for insurance under this Policy. You and Your also means the Insured.
“Natural Disaster” means flood, fire, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, tsunami, volcanic eruption, blizzard or avalanche that is due to natural causes.
“Payments or Deposits” means the cash, check, or credit card amounts actually paid for Your Covered Trip. Certificates; vouchers; frequent traveler rewards, miles or points; discounts and/or credits applied (in part or in full) towards the cost of Your Covered Trip are not Payments or Deposits as defined herein.
“Physician” means a licensed practitioner of medical, surgical or dental services acting within the scope of his or her license and shall include Christian Science Practitioners. The treating Physician may not be You, a Traveling Companion or a Family Member.
“Policy” shall mean this individual Policy document, the Schedule of Benefits, and any endorsements, riders or amendments that will attach during the period of coverage.
“Pre-Existing Condition” means any Accidental Injury, Sickness or condition of You, Your Traveling Companion, or Your Family Member booked to travel with You for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 90 day period ending on the Effective Date. Sicknesses or conditions are not considered pre-existing if the Sickness or condition for which prescribed drugs or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription.
*This definition changes for residents of the following states: Indiana, Nevada, New York. Please click here to refer to your certificate of coverage.
“Scheduled Departure Date” means the date on which You are originally scheduled to leave on the Covered Trip.
“Scheduled Return Date” means the date on which You are originally scheduled to return to the point of origin or to a different final destination or to Your primary residence from a Covered Trip.
“Sickness” means an illness or disease which is diagnosed or treated by a Physician on or after the Effective Date of insurance and while You are covered under the Policy.
“Strike” means a stoppage of work (a) announced, organized and sanctioned by a labor union and (b) which interferes with the normal departure and arrival of a Common Carrier. Included in the definition of Strikes are work slowdowns and sickouts.
“Terrorist Attack” means an incident deemed an act of terrorism by the U.S. Department of State.
*This definition changes for residents of the following states: Florida, New York. Please click here to refer to your certificate of coverage.
“Transportation” means any land, sea or air conveyance required to transport You during an Emergency Medical Evacuation. Transportation includes, but is not limited to, Common Carrier, air ambulances, land ambulances and private motor vehicles.
“Traveling Companion” means person(s) booked to accompany You on Your Covered Trip. Note: A group or tour leader is not considered a Traveling Companion unless You are sharing room accommodations with the group or tour leader.
“Travel Supplier” means any entity involved in providing travel services or travel arrangements.
“Unforeseen” means not anticipated or expected, and occurring on or after the Effective Date of the Policy.
*This definition changes for residents of the following states: Indiana. Please click here to refer to your certificate of coverage.
*Additional definitions apply to the following states: Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Maine, Montana, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Tennessee, Texas. Please click here to refer to your certificate of coverage.
The following exclusions apply to Trip Cancellation, and Trip Cancellation for Any Reason, if applicable.
Loss caused by or resulting from:
1. Pre-Existing Conditions, unless: a) the Policy is purchased within 14 days of your initial Trip deposit; b) the booking for the Covered Trip must be the first and only booking for this travel period and destination; and c) you are not disabled from travel at the time you pay the premium;
2. Commission or the attempt to commit a criminal act by you, your Traveling Companion, or your Family Member, whether insured or not;
3. Being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;
4. Mental or emotional disorders, unless hospitalized;
5. Participating in bodily contact sports; skydiving; mountaineering where ropes or guides are normally used; hang gliding; parachuting; any race by horse, motor vehicle, or motorcycle; bungee cord jumping; spelunking or caving; or rock climbing; or helicopter skiing or extreme skiing;
6. Participation in any military maneuver or training exercise, police service, or any loss while you are in the service of the armed forces of any country;
7. Participation as a professional athlete; participation in non-professional, organized amateur or interscholastic athletics or sports competitions or events;
8. Piloting or learning to pilot or acting as a member of the crew of any aircraft;
9. Pregnancy and childbirth (except for Complications of Pregnancy) except if hospitalized;
10. Suicide, attempted suicide or any intentionally self-inflicted injury while sane or insane (in Colorado and Missouri, sane only) committed by you, your Traveling Companion or your Family Member, whether or not insured;
11. Traveling for the purpose of securing medical treatment;
12. War, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities between nations (whether declared or not), civil war; or your participation in any military maneuver or training exercise;
13. Your participation in civil disorder, riot or a felony;
14. Care or treatment for which compensation is payable under Worker’s Compensation Law, any Occupational disease law; the 4800 Time benefit plan or similar legislation; or
15. Directly or indirectly, the actual, alleged or threatened discharge, dispersal, seepage, migration, escape, release or exposure to any hazardous biological, chemical, nuclear radioactive material, gas, matter or contamination.
*These exclusions change for the following states: Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Kansas, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Virginia, Washington. Please click here to refer to your certificate of coverage.