100% of the trip cost
Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is cancelled for illness, death or other specific unforeseen circumstances.
TRIP CANCELLATION / TRIP INTERRUPTION
We will pay a benefit, up to the maximum shown on the Schedule of Benefits, if You are prevented from taking Your Covered Trip due to any of the Unforeseen events listed below. We will pay You for the following:
a) The amount of forfeited, non-refundable, and unused Payments or Deposits that You paid for the Covered Trip.
b) Additional cost incurred if the Travel Supplier cancels Your Covered Trip for a covered reason and You elect to replace that Travel Supplier with a different Travel Supplier. In no event shall the amount We pay exceed the lesser of the amount You prepaid for the Covered Trip or the maximum benefit shown on the Schedule of Benefits.
We will pay You, up to the maximum shown on the Schedule of Benefits, for the additional cost incurred during the Covered Trip as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate for prepaid travel arrangements if a person booked to share accommodations with You has his or her Covered Trip delayed, canceled, or interrupted for a covered reason and You do not cancel Your Covered Trip.
You must advise the Travel Supplier and Us as soon as possible in the event of a claim. We will not pay benefits for any additional charges incurred that would not have been charged had You notified the Travel Supplier and Us as soon as reasonably possible.
We will pay a benefit, up to the maximum shown on the Schedule of Benefits, if You are prevented from continuing or resuming Your Covered Trip due to any of the Unforeseen events listed below. We will pay You for the following:
a) unused, non-refundable travel arrangements prepaid to the Travel Supplier(s); or
b) additional Transportation expenses incurred by You; or
c) return air travel up to the lesser of the cost of an economy flight or the amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, less the value of applied credit from an unused return travel ticket.
In no event shall the amount We pay exceed the lesser of the amount You prepaid for the Covered Trip or the maximum benefit shown on the Schedule of Benefits.
For Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption, Unforeseen Events Include:
a) Accidental Injury, Sickness or death of You, Your Traveling Companion, Your Family Member, or Your Business Partner; which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of loss preventing Your participation or continued participation in the Covered Trip. A Physician must advise cancellation of the Covered Trip on or before the Scheduled Departure Date.
b) Your normal pregnancy as long as the pregnancy occurs after Your Effective Date of coverage and can be verified by medical records.
c) The death or hospitalization of Your Host at Destination.
) Inclement Weather, Natural Disasters, Terrorist Attacks, or mechanical breakdown of the common carrier which results in the complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or destination for at least 48 consecutive hours.
e) Mandatory evacuation ordered by local authorities at Your destination due to hurricane or other Natural Disaster. You must have 50% or more of Your Trip remaining at the time the mandatory evacuation ends, in order for this benefit to be payable.
f) Natural Disaster or documented man-made disaster at the point of departure or Your destination which renders Your primary residence or the accommodations at Your destination uninhabitable.
g) Inclement weather or Natural Disaster resulting in the obstruction of public roadways, or curtailment of public Transportation, which prevents Your ability to arrive at Your Land/Sea Arrangements.
h) Hurricane warning causing cancellation of travel. Claims are not payable if a hurricane is foreseeable prior to Your Effective Date. A hurricane is foreseeable on the date it becomes a named storm. We will not pay any benefits 14 calendar days after the incidentoccurs. In order to cancel Your Covered Trip, You must have 50% or less of Your total Covered Trip length remaining. This benefit only applies if purchased within 7 days of the initial Trip payment.
i) Strike that causes complete cessation of travel services of Your Common Carrier for at least 48 consecutive hours.
j) Bankruptcy and/or Default of Your Travel Supplier which occurs more than 14 days following Your Effective Date. Your Scheduled Departure Date must be no more than 15 months beyond Your Effective Date. Benefits will be paid due to Bankruptcy or Default of an airline only if no alternate Transportation is available. If alternate Transportation is available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow You to transfer to another airline in order to get to Your intended destination. This coverage only applies if the Policy was purchased within 14 calendar days of the initial Trip payment.
k) Your transfer by the employer with whom You are employed on the Effective Date of insurance which requires Your principal residence to be relocated more than 200 miles.
l) You or Your Traveling Companion are terminated, or laid off from employment, from a place of employment for which You have been employed for the past 5 consecutive years.
m) You or Your Traveling Companion who are military personnel, are called to emergency duty for a disaster other than war or are called to active military duty, have their leave revoked or are reassigned for reasons other than War.
n) If within 30 days of Your departure, a politically motivated Terrorist Attack occurs within 50 miles of a City listed on Your itinerary. The Terrorist Attack must occur on or after the Effective Date of Your Trip Cancellation Coverage.
o) A documented theft of passports or visas. Documented means that You have reported the theft to the local authorities.
p) You or Your Traveling Companion being directly involved in or delayed due to a traffic Accident substantiated by a police report, while en route to departure.
q) You and/or Your Traveling Companion are hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury, subpoenaed, required to appear as a witness in a legal action, provided You are or Your Traveling Companion are not a party to the legal action or appearing as a law enforcement officer; the victim of felonious assault within 15 days of departure; having Your principal place of residence made uninhabitable by fire, flood or other Natural Disaster; or burglary of Your principal place of residence within 10 days of departure.
r) A cancellation of Your Covered Trip if Your arrival on the Covered Trip is delayed and causes You to lose 51% or more of the scheduled Covered Trip duration.
“Accident” means a sudden, unexpected, unusual, specific event which occurs at an identifiable time and place, but shall also include exposure resulting from a mishap to a conveyance in which You are traveling.
“Accidental Injury” means bodily injury caused by an Accident, directly and independently of all other causes and sustained on or after the Effective Date of this coverage and on or before the Scheduled Return Date. Benefits for Accidental Injury will not be paid for any loss caused by Sickness or other bodily diseases or infirmity. “Actual Cash Value” means purchase price less depreciation.
“Additional Expense” means any reasonable expenses for meals and lodging which were necessarily incurred as the result of a covered loss and which were not provided by the Common Carrier or any other party free of charge.
“Assistance Company” means the service provider with whom We have contracted to coordinate and deliver emergency travel assistance, medical evacuation and repatriation.
“Baggage” means luggage and personal effects and possessions whether owned, borrowed, or rented, and taken by You on the Covered Trip.
“Bankruptcy” means the filing of a petition for voluntary or involuntary Bankruptcy in a court of competent jurisdiction under Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code 11 U.S.C. Subsection 101 et seq.
“Business Equipment” means property used in trade, business, or for the production of income; or offered for sale or trade or components of goods offered for sale or trade.
“Business Partner” means an individual who: (a) is involved in a legal partnership; and (b) is actively involved in the day to day management of the business.
“Carry On Baggage” means a piece of Baggage that is not Checked Baggage and is owned by and accompanies You while traveling on a Common Carrier.
“Checked Baggage” means a piece of Baggage for which a claim check has been issued to You by a Common Carrier.
“Check(ed)-In” means the moment You register at the Hotel or Motel.
“Check(ed)-Out” means the moment You vacate the Hotel or Motel room and pay the itemized total costs incurred for Your stay.
“City” means an incorporated municipality having defined borders and does not include the high seas, uninhabited areas, or airspace.
“Common Carrier” means any regularly scheduled land, sea, and/or air conveyance operating under a valid license for the Transportation of passengers for hire.
“Complications of Pregnancy” means a condition whose diagnosis is distinct from pregnancy but is adversely affected or caused by pregnancy.
“Covered Expenses” shall mean expenses incurred by You which are: for Medically Necessary services, supplies, care, or treatment; due to Sickness or Accidental Injury; prescribed, performed or ordered by a Physician; Reasonable and Customary charges; incurred while insured under the Policy; and which do not exceed the maximum limits shown in the Schedule of Benefits, under each stated benefit.
“Covered Trip” means a trip for which You request insurance coverage and pay the required premium, and includes: (a) a period of travel away from home to a destination outside Your City of residence; and (b) the purpose of the trip is business or pleasure; and © the trip has defined Departure and Return dates.
“Cruise” means any prepaid sea/ocean and/or inland waterway arrangements made by the Travel Supplier.
“Deductible” means the dollar amount You must contribute to the loss.
“Default” means a material failure or inability to provide contracted services due to financial insolvency.
“Dependent Child(ren)” means Your children, including an unmarried child, stepchild, legally adopted child or foster child who is: less than age 19 and primarily dependent on You for support and maintenance; or who is at least age 19 but less than age 23 and who regularly attends an accredited school or college; and who is primarily dependent on You for support and maintenance.
“Domestic Partner” means a person, at least 18 years of age, with whom You have been living in a spousal relationship with evidence of cohabitation for at least 6 continuous months prior to the Effective Date of coverage.
“Effective Date” means the date and time Your coverage begins, as outlined in Section III. Eligibility and Period of Coverage of the Policy.
”Emergency Medical Evacuation” means Your medical condition warrants immediate Transportation from the place where You are injured or sick to the nearest Hospital where appropriate medical treatment can be obtained.
”Emergency Sickness” means an illness or disease, diagnosed by a legally licensed Physician, which meets all of the following criteria: (1) there is a present severe or acute symptom requiring immediate care and the failure to obtain such care could reasonably result in serious deterioration of Your condition or place Your life in jeopardy; (2) the severe or acute symptom occurs suddenly and unexpectedly; and (3) the severe or acute symptom occurs while Your coverage is in force and during Your Covered Trip.
“Exotic Vehicles” includes Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Auburn, Avanti, Bentley, Bertone, BMC/Leyland, BMW M Series, Bradley, Bricklin, Corvette, Cosworth, Citroen, Clenet, De Lorean, Excalibre, Ferrari, Fiat, Hummer, Iso, Jaguar, Jensen, Jensen Healy, Lamborghini, Lancia, Lotus, Maserati, MG, Morgan, Pantera, Panther, Pininfarina, Rolls Royce, Rover, Stutz, Sterling, Triumph, or TVR. Antique cars meaning cars that are over 20 years old or have not been manufactured for 10 or more years. Any vehicle with an original manufacturer’s suggested retail price greater than $50,000. This is not a comprehensive list, please contact Us or Our Administrator for eligibility.
“Emergency Treatment” means necessary medical treatment, including services and supplies, which must be performed during the Covered Trip due to the serious and acute nature of the Accidental Injury or Sickness.
“Family Member” means You or Your Traveling Companion’s legal or common law spouse, Domestic Partner, Yours or Your Domestic Partner’s caregiver, parent, legal guardian, step-parent, grandparent, parents-in-law, grandchild, natural or adopted child, foster child, ward, step-child, children-in-law, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew.
“Forceful Entry” means that someone illegally accessed Your Hotel or Motel room by breaking in a door, window or surrounding walls.
“Hospital” means a facility that: (a) holds a valid license if it is required by the law; (b) operates primarily for the care and treatment of sick or injured persons as in-patients; © has a staff of 1 or more Physicians available at all times; (d) provides 24 hour nursing service and has at least 1 registered professional nurse on duty or call; (e) has organized diagnostic and surgical facilities, either on the premises or in facilities available to the Hospital on a pre-arranged basis; and (f) is not, except incidentally, a clinic, nursing home, rest home, or convalescent home for the aged or similar institution.
“Inclement Weather” means any severe weather condition which delays the scheduled arrival or departure of a Common Carrier.
“Insured” means a person who has enrolled for insurance under this Policy. You and Your also means the Insured.
“Medically Necessary” means that a treatment, service, or supply is: essential for diagnosis, treatment or care of the Accidental Injury or Sickness for which it is prescribed or performed, meets generally accepted standards of medical practice and is ordered by a Physician and performed under his or her care, supervision or order.
“Natural Disaster” means flood, fire, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, tsunami, volcanic eruption, blizzard or avalanche that is due to natural causes.
“Payments or Deposits” means the cash, check, or credit card amounts actually paid for Your Covered Trip. Certificates; vouchers; frequent traveler rewards, miles or points; discounts and/or credits applied (in part or in full) towards the cost of Your Covered Trip are not Payments or Deposits as defined herein.
“Physician” means a licensed practitioner of medical, surgical or dental services acting within the scope of his or her license and shall include Christian Science Practitioners. The treating Physician may not be You, a Traveling Companion or a Family Member.
“Policy” shall mean this individual Policy document, the Schedule of Benefits, and any endorsements, riders or amendments that will attach during the period of coverage.
“Pre-Existing Condition” means any Accidental Injury, Sickness or condition of You, Your Traveling Companion, or Your Family Member booked to travel with You for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 90 day period ending on the Effective Date. Sicknesses or conditions are not considered pre-existing if the Sickness or condition for which prescribed drugs or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription.
“Reasonable and Customary / Reasonable and Customary Charges” means an expense which: (a) is charged for treatment, supplies, or medical services Medically Necessary to treat Your condition; (b) does not exceed the usual level of charges for similar treatment, supplies or medical services in the locality where the expense is incurred; and © does not include charges that would not have been made if no insurance existed. In no event will the Reasonable and Customary charges exceed the actual amount charged.
“Scheduled Departure Date” means the date on which You are originally scheduled to leave on the Covered Trip.
“Scheduled Return Date” means the date on which You are originally scheduled to return to the point of origin or to a different final destination or to Your primary residence from a Covered Trip.
“Sickness” means an illness or disease which is diagnosed or treated by a Physician on or after the Effective Date of insurance and while You are covered under the Policy.
“Strike” means a stoppage of work (a) announced, organized and sanctioned by a labor union and (b) which interferes with the normal departure and arrival of a Common Carrier. Included in the definition of Strikes are work slowdowns and sickouts.
“Terrorist Attack” means an incident deemed an act of terrorism by the U.S. Department of State.
“Transportation” means any land, sea or air conveyance required to transport You during an Emergency Medical Evacuation. Transportation includes, but is not limited to, Common Carrier, air ambulances, land ambulances and private motor vehicles.
“Traveling Companion” means person(s) booked to accompany You on Your Covered Trip. Note: A group or tour leader is not considered a Traveling Companion unless You are sharing room accommodations with the group or tour leader.
“Travel Supplier” means any entity involved in providing travel services or travel arrangements.
“Unforeseen” means not anticipated or expected, and occurring on or after the Effective Date of the Policy. ￼
The following exclusions apply to Trip Cancellation (and if applicable, Trip Cancellation for Any Reason), Trip Interruption, Missed Connection, Trip Delay, Airline Ticket Change Fee, Itinerary Change, Missed Connection, Trip Inconvenience, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Accidental Death and Dismemberment – Common Carrier, Emergency Accident and Sickness Medical Expense, Emergency Medical Evacuation and Medically Necessary Repatriation, Emergency Non-Medical Evacuation due to Catastrophe and Repatriation of Remains. Loss caused by or resulting from:
1. Pre-Existing Conditions, unless: a) the Policy is purchased within 14 days of Your initial Trip deposit; b) the booking for the Covered Trip must be the first and only booking for this travel period and destination; and c) You are not disabled from travel at the time You pay the premium;
2. Commission or the attempt to commit a criminal act by You, Your Traveling Companion, or Your Family Member, whether insured or not;
3. Dental treatment except as a result of an Accidental Injury to sound natural teeth;
4. Expenses incurred as a result of being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;
5. Mental or emotional disorders, unless hospitalized;
6. Any non-emergency treatment or surgery, routine physical examinations, hearing aids, eye glasses or contact lenses;
7. Participating in bodily contact sports; skydiving; mountaineering where ropes or guides are normally used; hang gliding; parachuting; any race by horse, motor vehicle, or motorcycle; bungee cord jumping; spelunking or caving; or rock climbing; or helicopter skiing or extreme skiing;
8. Participation in any military maneuver or training exercise, police service, or any loss while You are in the service of the armed forces of any country;
9. Participation as a professional athlete; participation in non-professional, organized amateur or interscholastic athletics or sports competitions or events;
10. Piloting or learning to pilot or acting as a member of the crew of any aircraft;
11. Services not shown as covered;
12. Cosmetic surgery except for: reconstructive surgery incidental to or following surgery for trauma, or infection or other covered disease of the part of the body reconstructed, or to treat a congenital malformation of a child;
13. Suicide, attempted suicide or any intentionally self-inflicted injury while sane or insane (in Colorado and Missouri, sane only) committed by You, Your Traveling Companion or Your Family Member, whether or not insured;
14. Traveling for the purpose of securing medical treatment;
15. War, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities between nations (whether declared or not), civil war; or Your participation in any military maneuver or training exercise;
16. Your participation in civil disorder, riot or a felony;
17. Accidental Injury or Sickness when traveling against the advice of a Physician;
18. Care or treatment which is not Medically Necessary;
19. Services not shown as covered; and expenses not approved by the Assistance Company in advance;
20. Care or treatment for which compensation is payable under Worker’s Compensation Law, any Occupational Disease law; the 4800 Time Benefit plan or similar legislation; or
21. Directly or indirectly, the actual, alleged or threatened discharge, dispersal, seepage, migration, escape, release or exposure to any hazardous biological, chemical, nuclear radioactive material, gas, matter or contamination.
The following exclusions apply to Baggage / Personal Effects and Baggage Delay & Delivery:
We will not provide benefits for any loss or damage to:
2. automobiles and automobile equipment;
3. boats or other vehicles or conveyances;
8. bicycles (except when checked as Baggage with a Common Carrier);
9. eye glasses, sunglasses or contact lenses;
10. artificial teeth and dental bridges;
11. hearing aids;
12. prosthetic limbs;
13. keys, money, stamps, securities and documents;
15. art objects and musical instruments;
16. consumables including medicines, perfumes, cosmetics, and perishables;
17. professional or occupational equipment or property, whether or not electronic Business Equipment (not applicable when Option I – Baggage, Pets, Golf & Ski, is purchased);
18. telephones; or
19. property illegally acquired, kept, stored or transported.
Any loss caused by or resulting from the following is excluded:
1. wear and tear or gradual deterioration;
2. breakage of brittle or fragile articles;
3. insects or vermin;
4. inherent vice or damage while the article is actually being worked upon or processed;
5. confiscation or expropriation by order of any government; 6. radioactive contamination;
7. war or any act of war whether declared or not;
8. property shipped as freight or shipped prior to the Scheduled Departure Date.
9. delay or loss of market value;
10. indirect or consequential loss or damage of any kind;
11. theft or pilferage while left unattended in any vehicle if the vehicle is not property secured;
12. electrical current including electric arching that damages or destroys electrical devises or appliances;
13. mysterious disappearance;
14. confiscation or expropriation by order of any government.
The following exclusions apply to Renters Collision Insurance, if applicable:
1. Any obligation You assume under any agreement (except insurance collision Deductible);
2. Rentals of trucks, campers, trailers, off-road vehicles, motor bikes, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, limousines or other commercial or Exotic Vehicles;
3. Any Loss which occurs if You are in violation of the rental agreement;
4. Failure to report the loss to the proper local authorities and the rental company;
5. Damage to any other vehicle, structure or person as a result of a covered Loss;
6. Glass damage;
7. Overhead damage;
8. Tire damage;
9. Antique motor vehicles;
10. Any contents in the rental car;
11. Any Loss as the result of physical damage or loss attributable to mechanical breakdown or failure, wear and tear, gradual deterioration, corrosion, rust or freezing or any neglect or abuse of the vehicle by You.