Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is cancelled for illness, death or other specific unforeseen circumstances.
100% of the trip cost
Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is cancelled for illness, death or other specific unforeseen circumstances.
TRIP CANCELLATION BENEFIT
Benefits will be paid, up to the amount in the Schedule, for the forfeited, prepaid, non-refundable, non-refunded and unused published Payments that you paid for your Trip, if you are prevented from taking your Trip due to one of the following unforeseeable Covered Events that occur before departure on your Trip to you or your Traveling Companion, while your coverage is in effect under this Policy.
In the event you used frequent flyer miles to arrange air transportation for this Trip, and you cancel due to a Covered Event, we will reimburse you for the cost to reinstate your miles to your account, up to the amount in the Schedule.
Should you elect to reschedule your Trip arrangements instead of cancelling due to a Covered Event, in lieu of providing benefits for the forfeited, prepaid, non-refundable, non-refunded and unused published Payments, we will pay for change fees charged by your supplier(s), up to the amount in the Schedule.
In the event there is a change in the per person occupancy rate for your pre-paid arrangements as a result of a Traveling Companion canceling his or her Trip due to an unforeseeable Covered Event when you do not cancel, we will reimburse you for additional costs above the original invoiced and pre-paid charge for your booking, up to the amount in the Schedule, for Accommodations during the Trip as a result of the change.
1. The Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member, your Traveling Companion or your Service Animal. The Sickness or Injury must first commence while your coverage is in effect under the Policy, must require the in-person treatment by a Physician, and must be so disabling in the written opinion of a Physician as to prevent you from taking your Trip (either because your condition prevents your travel, or because your Family Member, Traveling Companion or your Service Animal requires your care);
2. Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations resulting from adverse weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship, boat or motor coach that you were scheduled to travel on, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation;
3. Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations resulting from Financial Insolvency, provided you purchased this coverage prior to or within 24 hours of your final Payment for your Trip;
4. Being directly involved in a documented traffic accident while en route to departure on your Trip;
5. Being hijacked or Quarantined;
6. Being required to serve on a jury, or required by a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action provided you, a Family Member or a Traveling Companion is not a party to the legal action or appearing as a law enforcement officer;
7. Your Home made Uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster;
8. Your Accommodations at your destination made Uninhabitable due to fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the event renders the destination Uninhabitable. For the purpose of this coverage, Uninhabitable means: (i) the building itself is unstable and there is a risk of collapse in whole or in part; (ii) there is exterior or structural damage allowing elemental intrusion, such as rain, wind, hail or flood; or (iii) immediate safety hazards have yet to be cleared, such as debris on roofs or downed electrical lines. In order to cancel your trip, you must have 4 days or 50% of your total Trip length or less remaining at the time the destination is restored for use. Benefits are not payable if the event occurs or if a hurricane is named prior to or on your Trip Cancellation Coverage Effective Date;
9. A documented theft of your passports or visas;
10. A mandatory evacuation (or public official evacuation advisement in geographic areas where no mandatory evacuation orders are issued by government authorities) at your destination due to adverse weather or natural disasters. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the evacuation order is issued. In order to cancel your Trip, you must have 4 days or 50% of your total Trip length or less remaining at the time the mandatory evacuation ends;
11. Being called into active military service to provide aid or relief in the event of a natural disaster;
12. Your previously granted military leave being revoked. The leave must be approved prior to your coverage becoming effective, and official written revocation notice from your commanding officer will be required;
13. Your involuntary termination of employment or layoff (or the involuntary termination or layoff of your parent or guardian if you are a minor traveling alone), after continuous employment with the same employer for 1 year or more, provided the termination or layoff occurs 14 days or more after your coverage has taken effect. This benefit is not available to temporary employees, independent contractors, or self-employed persons;
14. A Terrorist Act which occurs in your Scheduled Trip Departure City or in a city to which you are scheduled to travel while on your Trip, and which occurs within 30 days of your Scheduled Departure Date, provided the city has not experienced a Terrorist Act in the past 30 days prior to the effective date of your coverage;
15. Your Host being unable to provide Accommodations due to a life-threatening Sickness or Injury, or due to death. Official documentation of the event will be required;
16. The school where you attend must extend its operating session beyond its predefined school year due to unforeseeable events commencing during the coverage effective period. The school year extension dates must fall in your Trip dates in order for this coverage to be available. Extensions due to extracurricular or athletic events are not covered;
17. Being required to take an academic examination on a date that has been fixed after your coverage was purchased, and the examination date falls within your Trip dates;
18. Being unable to undergo a vaccination or inoculation, due to a medical reason, that is announced and published as required for entry into a country of destination after the effective date of your coverage. The vaccination or inoculation must be unannounced and unpublished to the public at the time your coverage is purchased;
19. Receiving official notification of an organ match available for immediate transplant, provided the transplant is considered medically necessary, the notification is received while coverage is in effect, and in the written opinion of the Physician the transplant surgery and/or recovery is so disabling as to prevent you from taking the Trip;
20. Receiving a court-issued notice to attend an Adoption Proceeding, provided you are not attending as a condition of your employment and provided the person being adopted is not you, your Traveling Companion or your Family Member. The date of the scheduled Adoption Proceeding must be announced while your coverage is in effect and must be during your Trip dates;
21. Receiving notice that your Adoption Proceeding or adoption arrangements have been cancelled or terminated, provided your Trip was for the purpose of executing the adoption and provided the Adoption Proceeding or adoption arrangement was confirmed prior to your effective date.
This coverage is subject to the General Exclusions.
“you”, “your” and “yours” refer to the Insured. “we”, “us” and “our” refer to the company providing this coverage. In addition, certain words and phrases are defined as follows:
ACCIDENT means a sudden, unexpected, unintended and external event, which causes Injury.
ACCOMMODATION means any establishment used for the purpose of temporary overnight lodging for which a fee is paid and reservations are required.
ACTUAL CASH VALUE means purchase price less depreciation.
ADOPTION PROCEEDING means any mandatory meeting as a condition of law requiring the attendance of the prospective adoptive parent(s) with the intent to create a legal parent-child relationship.
AIR FLIGHT ACCIDENT means an Accident that occurs while a passenger in or on, boarding or alighting from an aircraft of a regularly scheduled airline or an air charter company that is licensed to carry passengers for hire.
BAGGAGE means luggage, personal possessions and travel documents taken by you on your Trip.
BUSINESS EQUIPMENT means physical property owned by you used in trade, business, or for the production of income, taken by you for use on your Trip, excluding software, data, and any items defined as Baggage within this Policy.
COMMON CARRIER means any land, water or air conveyance, with scheduled and published departure and arrival times, operated under a license for the transportation of passengers for hire, not including taxicabs or rented, leased or privately owned motor vehicles.
DOMESTIC PARTNER means a person who is at least eighteen years of age and you can show: (1) evidence of financial interdependence, such as joint bank accounts or credit cards, jointly owned property, and mutual life insurance or pension beneficiary designations; (2) evidence of cohabitation for at least the previous 6 months; and (3) an affidavit of domestic partnership if recognized by the jurisdiction within which you reside.
ELECTIVE TREATMENT AND PROCEDURES means any medical treatment or surgical procedure that is not medically necessary including any service, treatment, or supplies that are deemed by the federal, or a state or local government authority, or by us to be research or experimental or that is not recognized as a generally accepted medical practice.
FAMILY MEMBER means
•Insured’s or Traveling Companion’s Spouse
•Insured’s, Traveling Companion’s or Spouse’s:
• grandparent, great-grandparent, grandchild or great grandchild;
• step-parent, step-child or step-sibling;
• son-in-law or daughter-in-law;
• brother-in-law or sister-in-law;
• aunt or uncle;
• niece or nephew;
• legal guardian;
• foster child or legal ward.
FINANCIAL INSOLVENCY means the total cessation or complete suspension of operations due to insolvency, with or without the filing of a bankruptcy petition, whether voluntary or involuntary, by a tour operator, cruise line, airline, rental car company, hotel, condominium, railroad, motor coach company, or other supplier of travel services which is duly licensed in the jurisdiction of operation other than the entity or the person, organization, agency or firm from whom you directly purchased or paid for your Trip, provided the Financial Insolvency occurs more than 14 days following your effective date for the Trip Cancellation Benefits. There is no coverage for the total cessation or complete suspension of operations for losses caused by fraud or negligent misrepresentation by the supplier of travel services.
HOME means your primary or secondary residence.
HOSPITAL means an institution that meets all of the following requirements: (1) it must be operated according to law; (2) it must give 24-hour medical care, diagnosis and treatment to the sick or injured on an inpatient basis; (3) it must provide diagnostic and surgical facilities supervised by Physicians; (4) registered nurses must be on 24-hour call or duty; and (5) the care must be given either on the hospital’s premises or in facilities available to the hospital on a prearranged basis. A Hospital is not: a rest, convalescent, extended care, rehabilitation or other nursing facility; a facility which primarily treats mental illness, alcoholism, or drug addiction (or any ward, wing or other section of the hospital used for such purposes); or a facility which provides hospice care (or wing, ward or other section of a hospital used for such purposes).
HOST means the person with whom you are scheduled to share pre-arranged overnight accommodations in his/her principal place of residence.
INJURY means bodily harm caused by an Accident which requires the in-person examination and treatment by a Physician. The Injury must be the direct cause of loss and must be independent of all other causes and must not be caused by, or result from, Sickness.
INSURED means the person named on the application form, for whom the required premium payment is received and a Trip is scheduled.
INSURER means Generali US Branch. Generali US Branch operates under the following names:
In California: Generali Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A. (U.S. Branch)
In Virginia: The General Insurance Company of Trieste and Venice – U.S. Branch
OTHER VALID AND COLLECTIBLE HEALTH INSURANCE means any policy or contract which provides for payment of medical expenses incurred because of Physician, nurse, dental or Hospital care or treatment; or the performance of surgery or administration of anesthesia. The policy or contract providing such benefits includes, but is not limited to, group or blanket insurance policies; service plan contracts; employee benefit plans; or any plan arranged through an employer, labor union, employee benefit association or trustee; or any group plan created or administered by the federal or a state or local government or its agencies. In the event any other group plan provides for benefits in the form of services in lieu of monetary payment, the usual and customary value of each service rendered will be considered a covered expense.
PAYMENTS means the cash, check, credit card amounts paid for your Trip, including but not limited to reservation costs, timeshare exchange fees, ownership dues (not including the cost of your vacation ownership) and maintenance fees. Payments also include the units of currency purchased from a travel or vacation club to be used as valuation in payment for arrangements and to access travel arrangements (including but not limited to points, credits or other values). Such currency units must be used in accordance with travel or vacation club rules and must be for travel under a membership or for a deeded real estate product. In the case of currency units, we reserve the right to replace, restore or replenish your currency units in lieu of reimbursement.
PHYSICIAN means a person licensed as a medical doctor by the jurisdiction in which he/she is resident to practice the healing arts. He/she must be practicing within the scope of his/her license for the service or treatment given and may not be you, a Traveling Companion, or a Family Member of yours.
PORT OF CALL means a city or town on a waterway with facilities for loading and unloading cargo where a ship is scheduled to dock, not including the ports of embarkation and disembarkation.
PRE-EXISTING CONDITION means a Sickness or Injury during the 180-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion: (1) received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic test, examination, or medical treatment; or (2) took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine. Item 2 of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 180-day period before coverage is effective under this Policy.
PROGRAM ADMINISTRATOR means CSA Travel Protection
QUARANTINE means the enforced isolation of you or your Traveling Companion, for the purpose of preventing the spread of illness, disease or pests.
SCHEDULED DEPARTURE DATE means the date on which you are originally scheduled to leave on your Trip.
SCHEDULED RETURN DATE means the date on which you are originally scheduled to return to the point where the Trip started or to a different final destination.
SCHEDULED TRIP DEPARTURE CITY means the city where the scheduled Trip on which you are to participate originates.
SERVICE ANIMAL means any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including, but not limited to, guiding persons with impaired vision, alerting persons with impaired hearing to intruders or sounds, providing animal protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items.
SICKNESS means an illness or disease of the body that requires in-person examination and treatment by a Physician.
SPOUSE means your legally wed husband/wife or Domestic Partner as defined by this Policy.
TERRORIST ACT means an act of violence, other than civil disorder or riot, (that is not an act of war, declared or undeclared) that results in loss of life or major damage to property, by any person acting on behalf of or in connection with any organization which is generally recognized as having the intent to overthrow or influence the control of any government.
TRAVELING COMPANION means a person who, during the Trip, will accompany you in the same accommodations.
TRIP means: A period of round-trip travel at least 100 miles away from Home to your designated vacation destination associated with the purchase of this insurance, excluding regular commuting and local travel; the purpose of the Trip is business or pleasure and is not to obtain health care or treatment of any kind; the Trip has defined departure and return dates specified when you purchase the coverage; the Trip does not exceed 365 days in length; or
A period of one-way travel that starts in the U.S. or Canada (except U.S. citizens may begin their Trip outside the U.S., if returning to the U.S.); the purpose of the Trip is business or pleasure and is not to obtain health care or treatment of any kind; the Trip has defined departure and arrival dates and defined departure and arrival places specified when you apply; and the Trip does not exceed 31 days in length.
UNINHABITABLE means the dwelling is not suitable for human occupancy in accordance with local public safety guidelines.
USUAL AND CUSTOMARY CHARGE means those charges: (1) for necessary treatment and services that are reasonable for the treatment of cases of comparable severity and nature; (2) that do not exceed the usual level of charges for similar treatment, supplies or medical services in the locality where the expense is incurred; and (3) does not include charges that would not have been made if no insurance existed. In no event will Usual and Customary Charges exceed the actual amount charged.
1. We will not pay for any loss under this Policy, caused by, or resulting from:
a) your or your Traveling Companion’s suicide, attempted suicide, or intentionally self-inflicted injury;
b) mental, nervous, or psychological disorders of you or your Traveling Companion;
c) you or your Traveling Companion being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;
d) normal pregnancy or resulting childbirth, elective abortion or fertility treatment of you or your Traveling Companion;
e) your or your Traveling Companion’s participation as a professional in athletics;
f) your or your Traveling Companion’s participation in organized amateur and interscholastic athletic or sports competition or events;
g) you or your Traveling Companion riding or driving in any motor competition;
h) you or your Traveling Companion operating or learning to operate any aircraft, as pilot or crew;
i) you or your Traveling Companion mountain climbing, bungee cord jumping, skydiving, parachuting, hang gliding, parasailing, caving, extreme skiing, heli-skiing, skiing outside marked trails, boxing, full contact martial arts, scuba diving below 120 feet (40 meters) or without a dive master, or travel on any air-supported device, other than on a regularly scheduled airline or air charter company;
j) your or your Traveling Companion’s Elective Treatment and Procedures;
k) your or your Traveling Companion’s medical treatment during or arising from a Trip undertaken for the purpose or intent of securing medical treatment;
l) declared or undeclared war, or any act of war;
m) nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination;
n) any unlawful acts, committed by you or your Traveling Companion;
o) any amount paid or payable under any Worker’s Compensation, disability benefit or similar law;
p) a loss or damage caused by detention, confiscation or destruction by customs or any governmental authority, regulation or prohibition;
q) travel restrictions imposed for a certain area by governmental authority;
r) Financial Insolvency of the person, organization or firm from whom you directly purchased or paid for your Trip, Financial Insolvency which occurred, or for which a petition for bankruptcy was filed by a travel supplier, before your effective date for the Trip Cancellation Benefits, or Financial Insolvency which occurs within 14 days following your effective date for the Trip Cancellation Benefits;
s) a loss that results from an illness, disease, or other condition, event or circumstance which occurs at a time when coverage is not in effect for you;
t) any issue or event that could have been reasonably foreseen or expected when you purchased the coverage.
The following exclusion applies to the Medical and Dental Coverage and Emergency Assistance and Transportation coverages:
We will not pay for loss caused by or resulting from service in the armed forces of any country.
The following exclusion applies to the Medical and Dental, Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, and Travel Delay coverages:
We will not pay for loss or expense caused by or incurred resulting from a Pre-Existing Condition, as defined in the Definitions section, including death that results there from.
This Exclusion does not apply provided you meet the following requirements:
a) coverage is purchased prior to or within 24 hours of your final Trip Payment and
b) you are medically able to travel at the time the coverage is purchased; and
c) you insure 100% of your prepaid Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions.
The following exclusion applies to the Emergency Assistance and Transportation, Medical and Dental, Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, and Rental Car Damage coverages:
a) civil disorder
The following exclusion applies to the Emergency Assistance and Transportation, Medical and Dental, Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Missed Connection, Travel Delay, and Rental Car Damage coverages:
a) failure of any tour operator, Common Carrier, or other travel supplier, person or agency to provide the bargained-for travel arrangements other than Financial Insolvency.