150% of the trip cost
Trip Interruption provides reimbursement for prepaid and non-refundable trip payments if a portion of a trip is missed, or the traveler must return home early due to unforeseen circumstances, including illness, injury, or death.
TRIP INTERRUPTION BENEFIT
If your arrival on your Trip is delayed beyond your Scheduled Departure Date, or if you are unable to continue the Trip due to one of the unforeseeable Covered Events listed below that occur during your Trip dates to you or your Traveling Companion, we will reimburse you for the unused, non-refundable land or water arrangements prepaid to the Travel Supplier prior to departing on your Trip, less any refunds paid or payable, plus one of the following:
a) Additional transportation expenses incurred to reach your scheduled destination if your departure is delayed and you leave after the Scheduled Departure Date and time; or
b) Additional transportation expenses incurred for you to reach the final return destination of your Trip; or
c) Additional transportation expenses incurred to rejoin the Trip in progress from the point where you interrupted your Trip.
We will also provide reimbursement for unused air arrangements, less any refunds paid or payable, provided that these are not flights scheduled to travel to your Trip destination or flights scheduled to your origin of departure on your Trip, and provided that these are not flights within 24 hours of your Scheduled Departure Date or Scheduled Return Date.
1. The Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member, your Traveling Companion or your Service Animal. The Sickness or Injury must first commence while your coverage is in effect under the Policy, must require the in-person treatment by a Physician, and must be so disabling in the written opinion of a Physician as to prevent you from taking your Trip (either because your condition prevents your travel, or because your Family Member, Traveling Companion or your Service Animal requires your care);
2. Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations resulting from adverse weather, mechanical breakdown of the aircraft, ship, boat or motor coach that you were scheduled to travel on, or organized labor strikes that affect public transportation;
3. Common Carrier delays and/or cancellations resulting from Financial Insolvency, provided you purchased this coverage prior to or within 24 hours of your final Payment for your Trip;
4. Being directly involved in a documented traffic accident while en route to departure on your Trip;
5. Being hijacked or Quarantined;
6. Being required to serve on a jury, or required by a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action provided you, a Family Member or a Traveling Companion is not a party to the legal action or appearing as a law enforcement officer;
7. Your Home made Uninhabitable by fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster;
8. Your Accommodations at your destination made Uninhabitable due to fire, flood, volcano, earthquake, hurricane or other natural disaster. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the event renders the destination Uninhabitable. For the purpose of this coverage, Uninhabitable means: i) the building itself is unstable and there is a risk of collapse in whole or in part; ii) there is exterior or structural damage allowing elemental intrusion, such as rain, wind, hail or flood; or iii) immediate safety hazards have yet to be cleared, such as debris on roofs or downed electrical lines. In order to cancel your trip, you must have 4 days or 50% of your total Trip length or less remaining at the time the destination is restored for use. Benefits are not payable if the event occurs or if a hurricane is named prior to or on your Trip Cancellation Coverage Effective Date;
9. A documented theft of your passports or visas;
10. A mandatory evacuation (or public official evacuation advisement in geographic areas where no mandatory evacuation orders are issued by government authorities) at your destination due to adverse weather or natural disasters. We will only pay benefits for losses occurring within 30 calendar days after the evacuation order is issued. In order to cancel your Trip, you must have 4 days or 50% of your total Trip length or less remaining at the time the mandatory evacuation ends;
11. Being called into active military service to provide aid or relief in the event of a natural disaster;
12. Your previously granted military leave being revoked. The leave must be approved prior to your coverage becoming effective, and official written revocation notice from your commanding officer will be required;
13. Your involuntary termination of employment or layoff (or the involuntary termination or layoff of your parent or guardian if you are a minor traveling alone), after continuous employment with the same employer for 1 year or more, provided the termination or layoff occurs 14 days or more after your coverage has taken effect. This benefit is not available to temporary employees, independent contractors, or self-employed persons;
14. A Terrorist Act which occurs in your Scheduled Trip Departure City or in a city to which you are scheduled to travel while on your Trip, and which occurs within 30 days of your Scheduled Departure Date, provided the city has not experienced a Terrorist Act in the past 30 days prior to the effective date of your coverage;
15. Your Host being unable to provide Accommodations due to a life-threatening Sickness or Injury, or due to death. Official documentation of the event will be required;
16. The school where you attend must extend its operating session beyond its predefined school year due to unforeseeable events commencing during the coverage effective period. The school year extension dates must fall in your Trip dates in order for this coverage to be available. Extensions due to extra- curricular or athletic events are not covered;
17. Being required to take an academic examination on a date that has been fixed after your coverage was purchased, and the examination date falls within your Trip dates;
18. Being unable to undergo a vaccination or inoculation, due to a medical reason, that is announced and published as required for entry into a country of destination after the effective date of your coverage. The vaccination or inoculation must be unannounced and unpublished to the public at the time your coverage is purchased;
19. Receiving official notification of an organ match available for immediate transplant, provided the transplant is considered medically necessary, the notification is received while coverage is in effect, and in the written opinion of the Physician the transplant surgery and/or recovery is so disabling as to prevent you from taking the Trip;
20. Receiving a court-issued notice to attend an Adoption Proceeding, provided you are not attending as a condition of your employment and provided the person being adopted is not you, your Traveling Companion or your Family Member. The date of the scheduled Adoption Proceeding must be announced while your coverage is in effect and must be during your Trip dates;
21. Receiving notice that your Adoption Proceeding or adoption arrangements have been cancelled or terminated, provided your Trip was for the purpose of executing the adoption and provided the Adoption Proceeding or adoption arrangement was confirmed prior to your effective date.
Benefits payable for additional transportation expenses will not exceed the cost of airfare (the same class airfare on which you were originally booked) by the most direct route, less any refunds paid or payable.
This coverage is subject to the General Exclusions.