Provides reimbursement for clothing, toiletries and other essential items if luggage is delayed for a specified period of time.
There is no Baggage Delay coverage with this plan.
GENERAL DEFINITIONS – Throughout this document, when capitalized, certain words and phrases are defined as follows:
Accident means a sudden, unexpected, unintended, specific event that occurs at an identifiable time and place, but shall also include exposure resulting from a mishap to a conveyance in which You are traveling.
Accidental Injury means Bodily Injury caused by an Accident (of external origin) being the direct and independent cause in the Loss and that 1) requires a physical examination and medical treatment by a Physician and 2) commences while Your coverage is in effect.
Actual Cash Value means the lesser of the replacement cost and the purchase price less depreciation.
Bodily Contact Sports means any sport where the objective is to physically render an opponent unable to continue with the competition such as boxing and full contact karate.
Bodily Injury means identifiable physical injury that is caused by an Accident and is independent of disease or bodily infirmity.
Certificate of Insurance means this document, and any endorsements, riders or amendments that will attach during the period of coverage.
Company means Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.
Confirmation of Benefits means the document that outlines Your benefits and Maximum Benefit amounts.
Covered Expenses means expenses incurred by You that are for Medically Necessary care or treatment; due to Sickness or Bodily Injury; prescribed, performed or ordered by a Physician; Reasonable and Customary Charges incurred while insured under this Certificate; and that do not exceed the Maximum Benefit limits shown in the Confirmation of Benefits, under each stated benefit.
Deductible means the amount of expenses for covered services and supplies that must be incurred by You before specified benefits become payable.
Domestic Partner means a person with whom You reside and can show evidence of cohabitation (including the shared responsibility for basic living expenses) for at least the previous six (6) months and has an affidavit of domestic partnership, if recognized by the jurisdiction within which You reside.
Effective Date means 12:01 A.M. local time, at Your location, on the day after the required premium for such coverage is received by the Company or its authorized representative.
Extreme Sports means an athletic pursuit that involves a high degree of danger or risk.
Family Member means Your legal or common law spouse, parent, legal guardian, step-parent, grandparent, parents-in-law, grandchild, natural or adopted child, step-child, children-in-law, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew, Domestic Partner who reside in the United States, Canada or Mexico.
Home Country means the country where You have Your true, fixed and permanent home and principal establishment.
Hospital means a facility that:
a) holds a valid license if it is required by the law;
b) operates primarily for the care and treatment of sick or injured persons as in-patients;
c) has a staff of one or more Physicians available at all times;
d) provides twenty-four (24) hour nursing service and has at least one registered professional nurse on duty or call;
e) has organized diagnostic and surgical facilities, either on the premises or in facilities available to the hospital on a pre-arranged basis; and
f) is not, except incidentally, a clinic, nursing home, rest home, drug or physical rehabilitation facility or convalescent home for the aged, or similar institution.
Insured means the person who enrolled for coverage and whose premium was paid under the Policy.
Loss means Bodily Injury, Sickness or damage sustained by You, while coverage is in effect, in consequence of happening of one or more of the occurrences against which the Company has undertaken to indemnify You.
Maximum Benefit means the largest total amount that the Company will pay under any one benefit for You, as shown on the Confirmation of Benefits.
Medically Necessary means a service or supply that: a) is recommended by the attending Physician; b) is appropriate and consistent with the diagnosis in accord with accepted standards of community practice; c) could not have been omitted without adversely affecting Your condition or quality of medical care; d) is delivered at the most appropriate level of care and not primarily for the sake of convenience; and e) is not considered experimental unless coverage for experimental services or supplies is required by law.
Mountaineering means the sport, hobby or profession of walking, hiking and climbing up mountains either: 1) utilizing harnesses, ropes, crampons, or ice axes; or 2) ascending 4,500 meters or above.
Parachuting means an activity involving the breaking of a free fall from an airplane using a parachute.
Physician means a licensed practitioner of medical, surgical or dental services, acting within the scope of his/her license. The treating Physician may not be You, a Traveling Companion or a Family Member.
Policy means the Group Master Policy including the application and any endorsements, riders or amendments that will attach during the period of coverage.
Reasonable and Customary Charges means charges commonly used by Physicians in the locality in which care is furnished.
Scheduled Departure Date means the date on which You are originally scheduled to leave on the Trip.
Scheduled Return Date means the date on which You are originally scheduled to return to the point of origin or to a different final destination.
Sickness means an illness or disease of the body that: 1) requires a physical examination and medical treatment by a Physician and 2) commences while Your coverage is in effect. An illness or disease of the body that begins prior to the Effective Date of coverage is not a Sickness as defined herein and is not covered by this Certificate unless it suddenly worsens or becomes acute after the Effective Date.
Sound Natural Teeth means teeth that are whole or properly restored and are without impairment, periodontal or other conditions and are not in need of the treatment provided for any reason other than an Accidental Injury. For purposes of this Certificate, teeth previously restored with a crown, inlay, onlay, or porcelain restoration or treated by endodontics, except amalgam or composite resin fillings, are not considered Sound Natural Teeth.
Trip means a trip outside Your Home Country not to exceed seventy (70) days.
You or Your refers to the Insured.
LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS
The following exclusions apply to Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Accident Medical Expense and Sickness Medical Expense:
Loss caused by or resulting from:
1. suicide, attempted suicide or any intentionally self-inflicted injury while sane or insane, unless results in the death of a non-traveling Family Member;
2. intentionally self-inflicted injuries;
3. war, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities between nations (whether declared or not), civil war;
4. participation in any military maneuver or training exercise;
5. piloting or learning to pilot or acting as a member of the crew of any aircraft;
6. participation as a professional in athletics;
7. being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed and used in accordance with the instructions provided by a Physician;
8. commission or the attempt to commit a dishonest, fraudulent or criminal act;
9. participating in Bodily Contact Sports; skydiving; hang-gliding; Parachuting; Mountaineering; any race; bungee cord jumping; speed contest (speed contest shall not include any of the regatta races;); spelunking or caving; heliskiing; extreme skiing; Extreme Sports;
10. dental treatment except as a result of an injury to Sound Natural Teeth within twelve (12) months of the injury;
11. pregnancy and childbirth (except for complications of pregnancy);
12. curtailment or delayed return for other than covered reasons;
13. traveling for the purpose of securing medical treatment;
14. services not shown as covered;
15. directly or indirectly, the actual, alleged or threatened discharge, dispersal, seepage, migration, escape, release or ￼exposure to any hazardous biological, chemical, nuclear radioactive material, gas, matter or contamination;
16. care or treatment that is not Medically Necessary;
17. care or treatment for which compensation is payable under Worker’s Compensation Law, any Occupational Disease law; the 4800 Time Benefit plan or similar legislation;
18. care or treatment that is payable under any other Insurance policy;
19. Accidental Injury or Sickness when traveling against the advice of a Physician;
20. cosmetic surgery except for: reconstructive surgery incidental to or following surgery for trauma, or infection or other covered disease of the part of the body reconstructed, or to treat a congenital malformation of a child.
21. canyoning or canyoneering (traveling in canyons using a variety of techniques that may include walking, scrambling, climbing, jumping, abseiling and/or swimming);
22. any expenses incurred in the Home Country.