$500 per person
Provides reimbursement for lost, stolen or damaged baggage or personal items. This coverage is usually for your entire trip, not just your flight. If you have items valued over $1000 it is best to have these items “scheduled” on your home-owners policy.
We will reimburse you, less any amount paid or payable from any other valid and collectible insurance or indemnity, up to the amount shown in the Schedule, for direct loss, theft, damage or destruction of your Baggage, passports or visas during your Covered Trip. We will also pay for loss due to unauthorized use of your credit cards, if you have complied with all of the credit card conditions imposed by the credit card companies.
Valuation and Payment of Loss
Payment of loss under the Baggage and Personal Effects Benefit will be calculated based upon an Actual Cash Value basis. For items without receipts, payment of loss will be calculated based upon 75% of the Actual Cash Value at the time of loss. At our option, we may elect to repair or replace your Baggage. We will notify you within 30 days after we receive your Proof of Loss.
We may take all or part of damaged Baggage as a condition for payment of loss. In the event of a loss to a pair or set of items, we will: 1) repair or replace any part to restore the pair or set to its value before the loss; or 2) pay the difference between the value of the property before and after the loss.
Continuation of Coverage
If the covered Baggage, passports or visas are in the custody of a Common Carrier, and delivery is delayed, this coverage will continue until the property is delivered to you. This continuation of coverage does not include loss caused by or resulting from the delay.
Items Not Covered
We will not pay for damage to or loss of:
1. animals; or
2. property used in trade, business or for the production of income, household furniture, musical instruments, brittle or fragile articles, or sporting equipment if the loss results from the use thereof; or
3. boats, motors, motorcycles, motor vehicles, aircraft, and other conveyances or equipment, or parts for such conveyances; or
4. artificial limbs or other prosthetic devices, artificial teeth, dental bridges, dentures, dental braces, retainers or other orthodontic devices, hearing aids, any type of eyeglasses, sunglasses or contact lenses; or
5. documents or tickets, except for administrative fees required to reissue tickets; or
6. money, stamps, stocks and bonds, postal or money orders, securities, accounts, bills, deeds, food stamps or credit cards, except as noted above; or
7. property shipped as freight or shipped prior to the Scheduled Departure Date; or
Losses Not Covered
We will not pay for loss arising from:
1. defective materials or craftsmanship; or
2. normal wear and tear, gradual deterioration, inherent vice; or
3. rodents, animals, insects or vermin; or
4. mysterious disappearance; or
5. electrical current, including electric arcing that damages or destroys electrical devices or appliances.
Your Duties in the Event of a Loss
In case of loss, theft or damage to Baggage and Personal Effects, you should: 1) immediately report the incident to the hotel manager, tour guide or representative, transportation official, local police or other local authorities and obtain their written report of your loss; and 2) take reasonable steps to protect your Baggage from further damage, and make necessary, reasonable and temporary repairs. We will reimburse you for these expenses. We will not pay for further damage if you fail to protect your Baggage.
ACCIDENT means a sudden, unexpected, unintended and external event, which causes Injury.
ACCOMMODATION means any establishment used for the purpose of temporary, overnight lodging for which a fee is paid and reservations are required.
BAGGAGE means luggage, personal possessions and travel documents taken by you on the Covered Trip.
COVERED TRIP (or TRIP) means a period of round-trip travel away from Home to a destination outside your city of residence; the purpose of the trip is business or pleasure and is not to obtain health care or treatment of any kind; the trip has defined departure and return dates specified when the Insured enrolls; the trip does not exceed 365 days.
FAMILY MEMBER includes your or your Traveling Companion’s dependent, spouse, child, spouse’s child, son/daughterin-law, parent(s), sibling(s), grandparent(s), grandchild, step-brother/sister, step-parent(s), parent(s)-in-law, brother/sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, guardian, Domestic Partner, foster child, or ward.
FINANCIAL INSOLVENCY means the total cessation or complete suspension of operations due to insolvency, with or without the filing of a bankruptcy petition, whether voluntary or involuntary.
INJURY means bodily harm caused by an Accident which: 1) occurs while your coverage is in effect under the plan; and 2) requires examination and treatment by a Physician.
OTHER VALID AND COLLECTIBLE GROUP INSURANCE means any group policy or contract which provides for payment of medical expenses incurred because of Physician, nurse, dental or Hospital care or treatment; or the performance of surgery or administration of anesthesia. The policy or contract providing such benefits includes group or blanket insurance policies; service plan contracts; employee benefit plans; or any plan arranged through an employer, labor union, employee benefit association or trustee; or any group plan created or administered by the federal or a state or local government or its agencies. In the event any other group plan provides for benefits in the form of services in lieu of monetary payment, the usual and customary value of each service rendered will be considered a Covered Expense.
PHYSICIAN means a person licensed as a medical doctor by the jurisdiction in which he/she is resident to practice the healing arts. He/she must be practicing within the scope of his/her license for the service or treatment given and may not be you, a Traveling Companion, or a Family Member.
SCHEDULED DEPARTURE DATE means the date on which you are originally scheduled to leave on your Covered Trip.
SCHEDULED RETURN DATE means the date on which you are originally scheduled to return to the point where the Covered Trip started or to a different final destination.
SICKNESS means an illness or disease of the body, which requires examination and treatment by a Physician.
TRAVELING COMPANION means a person whose name(s) appear(s) with you on the same Covered Trip arrangement and who, during the Covered Trip, will accompany you.
USUAL AND CUSTOMARY CHARGE means those charges for necessary treatment and services that are reasonable for the treatment of cases of comparable severity and nature.
This will be derived from the mean charge based on the experience in a related area of the service delivered and the MDR (Medical Data Research) schedule of fees valued at the 100th percentile and the Anesthesia Relative Value Guide.
The following exclusion applies to the Air Flight Accident coverage:
We will not pay for a loss caused by or resulting from Sickness of any kind.
The following exclusion applies to all coverages except Baggage and Personal Effects:
We will not pay for loss or expense caused by or incurred resulting from a Pre-Existing Condition, including death that results therefrom. This Exclusion does not apply to benefits under Covered Expenses item 1, 2 or 6 of the Emergency Assistance Benefits coverage.
Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 180-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion or Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you: 1) received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic test, examination or medical treatment; or 2) took or received prescription drugs or medicine.
Item 2 of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 180-day period before coverage is in effect under the Policy.
The following exclusions apply to all coverages:
We will not pay for any loss under the plan caused by, or resulting from:
1. your, your Traveling Companion’s, or Family Member’s suicide, attempted suicide, or intentionally self-inflicted injury, while sane or insane (while sane in CO & MO);
2. mental, nervous, or psychological disorders;
3. being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;
4. normal pregnancy or resulting childbirth or elective abortion;
5. participation as a professional in athletics;
6. participation in organized amateur and interscholastic athletic or sports competition or events;
7. riding or driving in any motor competition;
8. declared or undeclared war, or any act of war;
9. civil disorder (does not apply to Travel Delay);
10. service in the armed forces of any country;
11. nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination;
12. operating or learning to operate any aircraft, as pilot or crew;
13. mountain climbing, bungee cord jumping, skydiving, parachuting, hang gliding, parasailing or travel on any air supported device, other than on a regularly scheduled airline or air charter company;
14. any unlawful acts, committed by you, a Traveling Companion or Family Member traveling with you (whether insured or not);
15. any amount paid or payable under any Worker’s Compensation, disability benefit or similar law;
16. a loss or damage caused by detention, confiscation or destruction by customs;
17. Elective Treatment and Procedures;
18. pandemic and/or epidemic;
19. medical treatment during or arising from a Trip undertaken for the purpose or intent of securing medical treatment;
20. Financial Insolvency of the person, organization or firm from whom you directly purchased or paid for your Covered Trip, Financial Insolvency which occurred, or for which a petition for bankruptcy was filed by a travel supplier;
21. business, contractual, or educational obligations of you, a Family Member, or Traveling Companion;
22. failure of any tour operator, Common Carrier, or other travel supplier, person or agency to provide the bargained for travel arrangements;
23. a loss that results from an illness, disease, or other condition, event or circumstance which occurs at a time when the plan is not in effect for you.