The maximum trip length applies to annual insurance plans. This is the longest time allowed for any one trip during the year in order to be eligible for coverage. A trip starts when you leave your home and ends when you return to your home regardless of the number of destinations in between.
There is no Maximum Trip Length with this plan.
ACCIDENT means a sudden, unexpected, unintended and external event, which causes Injury.
ACCOMMODATION means any establishment used for the purpose of temporary, overnight lodging for which a fee is paid and reservations are required.
BAGGAGE means luggage, personal possessions and travel documents taken by you on the Covered Trip.
COVERED TRIP (or TRIP) means a period of round-trip travel away from Home to a destination outside your city of residence; the purpose of the trip is business or pleasure and is not to obtain health care or treatment of any kind; the trip has defined departure and return dates specified when the Insured enrolls; the trip does not exceed 365 days.
FAMILY MEMBER includes your or your Traveling Companion’s dependent, spouse, child, spouse’s child, son/daughterin-law, parent(s), sibling(s), grandparent(s), grandchild, step-brother/sister, step-parent(s), parent(s)-in-law, brother/sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, guardian, Domestic Partner, foster child, or ward.
FINANCIAL INSOLVENCY means the total cessation or complete suspension of operations due to insolvency, with or without the filing of a bankruptcy petition, whether voluntary or involuntary.
INJURY means bodily harm caused by an Accident which: 1) occurs while your coverage is in effect under the plan; and 2) requires examination and treatment by a Physician.
OTHER VALID AND COLLECTIBLE GROUP INSURANCE means any group policy or contract which provides for payment of medical expenses incurred because of Physician, nurse, dental or Hospital care or treatment; or the performance of surgery or administration of anesthesia. The policy or contract providing such benefits includes group or blanket insurance policies; service plan contracts; employee benefit plans; or any plan arranged through an employer, labor union, employee benefit association or trustee; or any group plan created or administered by the federal or a state or local government or its agencies. In the event any other group plan provides for benefits in the form of services in lieu of monetary payment, the usual and customary value of each service rendered will be considered a Covered Expense.
PHYSICIAN means a person licensed as a medical doctor by the jurisdiction in which he/she is resident to practice the healing arts. He/she must be practicing within the scope of his/her license for the service or treatment given and may not be you, a Traveling Companion, or a Family Member.
SCHEDULED DEPARTURE DATE means the date on which you are originally scheduled to leave on your Covered Trip.
SCHEDULED RETURN DATE means the date on which you are originally scheduled to return to the point where the Covered Trip started or to a different final destination.
SICKNESS means an illness or disease of the body, which requires examination and treatment by a Physician.
TRAVELING COMPANION means a person whose name(s) appear(s) with you on the same Covered Trip arrangement and who, during the Covered Trip, will accompany you.
USUAL AND CUSTOMARY CHARGE means those charges for necessary treatment and services that are reasonable for the treatment of cases of comparable severity and nature.
This will be derived from the mean charge based on the experience in a related area of the service delivered and the MDR (Medical Data Research) schedule of fees valued at the 100th percentile and the Anesthesia Relative Value Guide.
The following exclusion applies to the Air Flight Accident coverage:
We will not pay for a loss caused by or resulting from Sickness of any kind.
The following exclusion applies to all coverages except Baggage and Personal Effects:
We will not pay for loss or expense caused by or incurred resulting from a Pre-Existing Condition, including death that results therefrom. This Exclusion does not apply to benefits under Covered Expenses item 1, 2 or 6 of the Emergency Assistance Benefits coverage.
Pre-Existing Condition means an illness, disease, or other condition during the 180-day period immediately prior to your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion or Family Member who is scheduled or booked to travel with you: 1) received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic test, examination or medical treatment; or 2) took or received prescription drugs or medicine.
Item 2 of this definition does not apply to a condition which is treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 180-day period before coverage is in effect under the Policy.
The following exclusions apply to all coverages:
We will not pay for any loss under the plan caused by, or resulting from:
1. your, your Traveling Companion’s, or Family Member’s suicide, attempted suicide, or intentionally self-inflicted injury, while sane or insane (while sane in CO & MO);
2. mental, nervous, or psychological disorders;
3. being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;
4. normal pregnancy or resulting childbirth or elective abortion;
5. participation as a professional in athletics;
6. participation in organized amateur and interscholastic athletic or sports competition or events;
7. riding or driving in any motor competition;
8. declared or undeclared war, or any act of war;
9. civil disorder (does not apply to Travel Delay);
10. service in the armed forces of any country;
11. nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination;
12. operating or learning to operate any aircraft, as pilot or crew;
13. mountain climbing, bungee cord jumping, skydiving, parachuting, hang gliding, parasailing or travel on any air supported device, other than on a regularly scheduled airline or air charter company;
14. any unlawful acts, committed by you, a Traveling Companion or Family Member traveling with you (whether insured or not);
15. any amount paid or payable under any Worker’s Compensation, disability benefit or similar law;
16. a loss or damage caused by detention, confiscation or destruction by customs;
17. Elective Treatment and Procedures;
18. pandemic and/or epidemic;
19. medical treatment during or arising from a Trip undertaken for the purpose or intent of securing medical treatment;
20. Financial Insolvency of the person, organization or firm from whom you directly purchased or paid for your Covered Trip, Financial Insolvency which occurred, or for which a petition for bankruptcy was filed by a travel supplier;
21. business, contractual, or educational obligations of you, a Family Member, or Traveling Companion;
22. failure of any tour operator, Common Carrier, or other travel supplier, person or agency to provide the bargained for travel arrangements;
23. a loss that results from an illness, disease, or other condition, event or circumstance which occurs at a time when the plan is not in effect for you.