Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is interrupted for illness, death or other unforeseen circumstances.
125% of the trip cost
Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is interrupted for illness, death or other unforeseen circumstances.
Trip Cancellation provides benefits for unused, non- refundable payments made by You not to exceed the maximum amount indicated In Your Coverage Verification Letter for a cause or event, resulting in loss that occurs after the Coverage Effective Date, subject to any applicable terms, conditions or Exclusions, for a Covered Trip cancelled up to the time and date of departure. For all of the covered reasons outlined below, You must notify the appropriate Travel Supplier(s) of Your cancellation within 72 hours of the occurrence, unless the condition prevents it, then as soon as reasonably possible. Otherwise, covered benefits shall be limited to those that would have been paid had timely notice of cancellation been provided. A Maximum Benefit of up to the amount indicated in Your Coverage Verification Letter is provided to cover expenses which result from the cancellation of Your Covered Trip due to:
1. Any serious Injury or Emergency Illness:
a. Occurring to You or a Travel Companion, which is so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to delay or cancel their Covered Trip;
b. Occurring to a Family Member or Business Partner that is considered life threatening or requiring hospitalization; or
c. Occurring to a Family Member requiring Your care.
Treatment by a Physician must take place before the cancellation by You, a Family Member, a Travel Companion, a Travel Companion’s Family Member or a Business Partner. The treating Physician may not be a member of Your or Your Travel Companion’s immediate family or Yourself, or a Family Member of the person whose condition caused the cancellation.
2. Your death, the death of a Family Member, a Travel Companion, a Travel Companion’s Family Member or a Business Partner if the death occurs after the Coverage Effective Date and prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date. (For Trip Interruption, death must occur prior to the Coverage Termination Date.) Notice of cancellation must be provided to all Travel Suppliers within 5 days of the death that causes the cancellation. Otherwise, Covered Benefits shall be limited to those that would have been paid had timely notice of cancellation been provided.
3. Financial Default of a Travel Supplier which suspends or terminates service after the date Your coverage became effective; provided that:
a. We will not provide coverage for Financial Default of a Travel Supplier if You do not purchase coverage within 15 days after the date Your initial payment for the Covered Trip was paid to the Travel Supplier.
b. We will not provide coverage if Financial Default of a Travel Supplier occurs less than 30 days after the Effective Date of Your coverage.
c. We will not provide coverage for loss resulting in a Financial Default of a Travel Supplier if the Travel Supplier is the same party who referred You to the purchase of this Certificate.
4. A Terrorist Incident, if You are scheduled to arrive at a Destination within 15 days following the Terrorist Incident and the Travel Supplier is not offering a substitute itinerary. Travel to any Destination for which travel warnings have been issued by the U.S. State Department at the time this coverage is purchased is excluded. Travel to any Destination in which such a Terrorist Incident has occurred in the 90 days prior to the date this coverage was purchased is excluded.
5. An Organized Labor Strike.
6. A Natural Disaster resulting in the complete cessation of services by a Travel Supplier for at least 24 consecutive hours or more.
7. You or a Travel Companion is hijacked.
8. You or a Travel Companion is detained for 24 hours or more under a medical quarantine order by a national governmental health authority.
9. You or a Travel Companion are summoned to serve on a jury or served with a subpoena which mandates Your appearance in court during the time period of Your Covered Trip.
10. Your home or the home of a Travel Companion is made Uninhabitable by fire, vandalism or Natural Disaster.
11. An automobile Accident directly involving either You or a Travel Companion, substantiated by a police report, while en route to a scheduled departure point for the Covered Trip.
12. A documented theft of Your passport or visa that prevents You from going on Your Covered Trip.
13. You or a Travel Companion serving on active or reserve military duty in the United States Armed Forces, or serving as an active duty police officer or fire fighter, whose personal leave is revoked to provide aid or relief in the event of a natural disaster or a terrorist act.
14. Employer termination or layoff of You, Your Spouse, a Travel Companion or a Travel Companion’s Spouse. To be eligible for this benefit You, Your Spouse, a Travel Companion or a Travel Companion’s Spouse must have been employed with the same employer for at least one year, and You must have worked at least 30 hours per week, excluding time off for paid vacation and holidays, for the entire period of employment.
15. Cancel due to work reasons if You are a Key Employee and;
a. You are required to work which prevents You from departing on Your Covered Trip. You must provide proof of requirement to work, such as a notarized statement signed by an officer of Your company. In the situation of self- employment, proof of self-employment and a notarized statement confirming that You are unable to travel due to Your job obligations will be required;
b. You are directly involved through Your company in a merger, acquisition, government required product recall, or bankruptcy proceeding that prevents You from going on Your Covered Trip;
c. You are part of Your company’s disaster recovery team to restore Your company because it has been rendered unsuitable for business due to fire, vandalism, burglary, theft or Natural Disaster that prevents You from going on Your Covered Trip.
For a Covered Trip that is interrupted after Your departure, and before such coverage terminates, by one of the covered reasons described above under Trip Cancellation We will reimburse You for:
1. Unused, non-refundable payments made by You, up to the maximum amount of the Trip Cancellation Benefit, shown in Your Coverage Verification Letter.
2. Reasonable additional transportation expenses incurred by You, not to exceed the cost of the same class fare as Your original transportation expense, less any refunds paid or payable, for Your transportation by the most direct route to;
a. Your original Return Destination; or
b. The place where You may rejoin the Covered Trip; or
c. The original Covered Trip Destination if You are delayed for a Covered Reason, and leave after the original Departure Date but before the original Return Date.
“Accidental or Accident” means an unexpected and unforeseen event or incident, including a Terrorist Incident.
“Amateur Athletics” means any amateur or non- professional sporting, recreation, or athletic activity that is organized, sponsored and/or sanctioned, and/or involves regular or scheduled practices, games and/or competitions (collectively “organized athletic activities”). This definition does not include non-organized athletic activities that are engaged in by You solely for recreational, entertainment or fitness purposes.
“Baggage”means luggage and personal possessions, whether owned, borrowed or rented, that is taken or purchased by You on the Covered Trip.
“Business Partner” means an individual who: (i) is actively involved with You in a legal partnership; and (ii) is actively involved in the day-to-day management of that business.
“Certificate” means this document issued by Us. As the underwriting insurance carrier, We are solely liable and responsible for the coverage and benefits provided under the Certificate.
“Checked Baggage” means Baggage that is in the care, custody, or control of a Common Carrier for which it has issued a receipt to You.
“Civil Disorder or Civil Unrest” means a symptom of, and a form of protest against, political or major socio-political problems. Civil Disorder or Civil Unrest includes, but is not limited to illegal parades, sit-ins and other forms of obstructions, riots, sabotage and other forms of crime which is intended to be a demonstration to the public and the government, but can escalate into general chaos.
“Common Carrier” means any land, water, or air conveyance operated under a license for the transportation of passengers for hire.
“Coverage Verification Letter” means the letter that accompanies the Certificate of Coverage from Our program manager.
“Covered Trip” means any travel and sojourn to a Destination more than 120 miles from the starting point of the Covered Trip and not exceeding the maximum Covered Trip Duration shown in Your Coverage Verification Letter.
“Departure Date” means the scheduled date to begin the Covered Trip as referenced in Your Coverage Verification Letter for this Certificate.
“Destination” means one or more cities to which You are scheduled to travel on a Covered Trip.
“Emergency” means a sudden, unexpected, unforeseen occurrence demanding immediate action.
“Family Member” means Your spouse, children (including step children and those adopted and placed for adoption), brothers or sisters (including in-laws and steps), parents (including in-laws and steps), grandparents (including in-laws), grandchildren, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, legal guardians and legal wards.
“Financial Default”means the complete suspension of operations due to financial circumstances whether or not a bankruptcy petition is filed, or a partial suspension of operation following a filing of a bankruptcy petition in a court of competent jurisdiction under Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
“Hospital” means an institution or medical facility that meets all of the following requirements:
1. Properly accredited and where required by law, holds a license as a Hospital;
2. Operates mainly for the care and Treatment of sick or injured persons as inpatients;
3. Provides twenty-four hours a day nursing care by registered nurses;
4. Has a staff of one or more Physicians available at all times;
5. Provides organized facilities for diagnosis and surgical procedures or has them available on a pre-arranged basis;
6. Not primarily a clinic, nursing home or convalescent home or similar place of business; and
7. Not mainly a place for treating alcoholics or drug addicts.
With respect to outpatient surgery or diagnostic testing, an ambulatory surgical center or a clinic will be considered a Hospital. Such facility must be properly accredited and, where required by law, hold a license allowing the facility to operate as such.
“Illness” means an Emergency sickness, impairment or physical condition that involves inpatient care in a Hospital, or requires Emergency Treatment by a qualified Physician.
“Inclement Weather” means physically severe weather that causes the suspension of common carrier transportation and/or the suspension of travel on public roadways by order of a local governmental authority.
“Injury” means trauma or damage to any part of the body caused solely by Accident, independent of disease or bodily infirmity.
“Insured” means the Member who arranged to take the Covered Trip, completed the application, paid the premium in full, and whose coverage under the Certificate has become effective and has not terminated.
“Insured” includes any other Member listed in the Coverage Verification Letter whose coverage has become effective and has not terminated.
“Key Employee” means an employee of an employer who is responsible for policy and decision making.
“Locality” means an area large enough to represent a reasonable cross section of providers giving the type of service or supplies for which the charge was made.
“Medically Able To Travel” means that You are 100% able to travel on the day You purchased Your Certificate.
“100% able to travel” means that You have no medical condition that requires Treatment, or prevents You from traveling, or will cause You to return home early from Your Covered Trip.
“Member” means any person who belongs to the Policyholder’s association.
“Mental, Nervous or Psychological Disorder” means a mental or nervous health condition including, but not limited to; anxiety, depression, neurosis, phobia, psychosis; or any related physical manifestation as defined in the most current edition of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders as published by the American Psychiatric Association.
“Natural Disaster” means a flood, mudslide, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, volcanic eruption, wildfire or blizzard that is due to natural causes.
“Necessary” means medical Treatment that is vital and required for the Treatment of a covered Injury or Illness.
“Organized Labor Strike” means any stoppage of work: (a) as a result of a combined effort of workers which was unannounced and unpublished at the time a Covered Trip was purchased; and (b) which interferes with the normal departure and arrival of a Common Carrier. An Organized Labor Strike is no longer unannounced and unpublished beginning with the first day of an announced “cooling off period.”
“Physician” means a person, other than You, a Travel Companion or a Family Member, who is licensed as a medical doctor in the healing arts, and acting within the scope of his or her license for the service or Treatment given.
“Policy” means the Group Travel Insurance Policy issued to the Policyholder by Us. As the underwriting insurance carrier, We are solely liable and responsible for the coverage and benefits provided under the Policy.
“Policyholder” means the National Small Business Travel & Health Association.
“Pre-Existing Condition” means an Injury or Illness or condition during the 60 days immediately before and including the date Your coverage became effective which:
1. Manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused a reasonably prudent person to seek diagnosis, care or Treatment; or
2. Required taking prescription drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is being taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or
3. Was diagnosed, or required Treatment or Treatment was recommended by a Physician.
“Professional Athletics” means an athletic or sporting activity, including practice, preparation, and actual sporting events for any individual of an organized team that is a member of a recognized professional sports organization, is directly supported or sponsored by a professional team or professional sports organization, is a member of a playing league that is directly supported or sponsored by a professional team or professional sports organization; or has any athlete receiving for his or her participation any kind of payment or compensation, directly or indirectly, from a professional team or professional sports organization.
“Reasonable Expenses” means the normal and customary charge of the provider, incurred by You for a service or supply, but not more than the prevailing charge in the Locality for a like service by a provider with similar training or experience; or for a supply which is identical or substantially equivalent.
“Return Date” means the scheduled date on which You are to arrive at Your Return Destination as shown in the Coverage Verification Letter for the Certificate.
“Return Destination” means the place to which You are scheduled to return from a Covered Trip.
“Scheduled Airline” (including scheduled charters) means an airline with a license for civil scheduled air transport issued by the country in which its aircraft are registered. Such airline must file and publish schedules and fares for regular passenger service between cities.
“Spouse” is a person who is a legal husband or a legal wife as defined under the applicable laws that govern Your primary residence.
“Terrorist Incident” means any violent act or an act that is dangerous to human life, property, or infrastructure that is committed within 120 miles of a Destination, by any person or persons who appear to be part of an effort to coerce a civilian population or affect the conduct of any government by coercion.
“Travel Companion” means a person who accompanies and shares a room or cabin with You on a Covered Trip, and a physical cross-reference entry exists within a computerized reservation system, a global distribution system or Travel Supplier reservation system that references Travel Companions to each other.
“Travel Companion’s Family Member” means a Travel Companion’s spouse, children, parents or grandparents.
“Travel Supplier” means a travel agent, Scheduled Airline, cruise line, tour operator, bus line or other licensed provider of travel.
“Treatment” means any and all undertakings, services and/or procedures rendered or employed with respect to the management and/or care of You for the purpose of identifying, testing for, analyzing, diagnosing, treating, curing, resolving, preventing, monitoring, attending to, caring for, controlling and/ or combating any Illness or Injury or the symptoms or manifestations thereof, including without limitation: verbal or written advice, consultation, examination, discussion, diagnostic or laboratory testing or evaluation of any kind, pharmacotherapy or other medication and/or surgery.
“Uninhabitable” means (i) the building structure itself is unstable and there is a risk of collapse in whole or in part; (ii) there is exterior or structural damage allowing elemental intrusion such as rain, wind, hail or flood; (iii) immediate safety hazards have yet to be cleared, such as debris on roofs or downed electrical lines; or (iv) the property upon which the building sits is without electricity or water.
“We, Us, Our” means Sirius America Insurance Company.
“You or Your” means the Insured.
These exclusions apply to all program benefits and services. In addition to any exclusion that applies to a particular benefit, no coverage is provided for any loss arising directly or indirectly out of, related to or as a result of the following:
1. Intentionally self-inflicted harm, suicide or attempted suicide, by You, a Family Member, a Travel Companion or a Travel Companion’s Family Member;
2. Pregnancy, fertility Treatments, childbirth or elective abortion, other than unforeseen complications of pregnancy, of You, a Family Member, a Travel Companion or a Travel Companion’s Family Member;
3. Any Mental, Nervous or Psychological disorders or physical complications related thereto, of You, a Family Member, a Travel Companion or a Travel Companion’s Family Member;
4. You being under the influence of intoxicating liquor (as determined by the jurisdiction where the loss occurred) or drugs other than drugs taken in accordance with Treatment prescribed and directed by a Physician;
5. War (whether declared or undeclared), acts of war, military duty (unless specifically covered), or voluntary participation in a Civil Disorder or unrest;
6. Participation in Professional or Amateur Athletics (including training);
7. Participation in any sporting, recreational, or adventure activity where such activity is undertaken against the advice or direction of any local authorities or any qualified instructor or contrary to the rules, regulations, recommendations and procedures of the recognized governing body of the area where such activity takes place;
8. All extreme, high risk sports including but not limited to: bodily contact sports, skydiving, hang gliding, bungee jumping, parachuting, mountain climbing or other high altitude activities, caving, heli-skiing, extreme skiing, or any skiing outside marked trails;
9. Scuba diving (unless accompanied by a dive master and not deeper than 130 feet);
10. Operating or learning to operate any aircraft as pilot or crew;
11. Nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination;
12. Natural Disasters (unless specifically covered);
14. Pollution or threat of pollutant release;
15. Commission of a violation of law by You, a Family Member, a Travel Companion or a Travel Companion’s Family Member, whether they are Insured or not, including without limitation, the engaging in an illegal occupation or act, but excluding minor traffic violations;
16. Any known, expected or reasonably foreseeable events or conditions that would cause a loss or claim under this Certificate; or
17. Financial Default (except as specifically covered herein).
This program does not cover You:
1. If the purpose of the travel is to receive medical care, medication or Treatment;
2. If the Travel Supplier’s tickets do not indicate the travel dates;
3. If You give incorrect data or facts; or
4. If the loss is not submitted to Us within 90 days from the date of loss, except as otherwise prohibited by law.
PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS EXCLUSION
This exclusion applies to Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption and Emergency Medical/Dental and Emergency Medical Evacuation/Repatriation and Emergency Reunion benefits. This program does not cover losses or expenses if they result from:
1. Any Injury occurring to You, a Family Member, a Travel Companion or a Travel Companion’s Family Member prior to and including the Effective Date of insurance.
2. Any Illness occurring to You, a Family Member, a Travel Companion or a Travel Companion’s Family Member who resides in Your household during the 60 days prior to and including the Effective Date of Your insurance for which: a) medical diagnosis or Treatment by a Physician has been sought or recommended or for which symptoms exist which would cause a reasonably prudent person to seek diagnosis, care or Treatment; or b) require taking prescription drugs or medicine unless the Illness remains controlled without any change in the required prescription.
For the purposes of determining any Pre-existing Condition, the Effective Date of Your insurance will be the date You purchased this coverage.
We cover these Pre-existing Conditions provided:
1. The insurance was purchased within 15 calendar days of initial Covered Trip payment; and
2. On the date of purchase of insurance, You were Medically Able to Travel.
If You do not meet the above criteria, You may still be covered for Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption cause by reasons other than those related to the Pre- existing Condition.