Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is cancelled for illness, death or other specific unforeseen circumstances.
100% of the trip cost
Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is cancelled for illness, death or other specific unforeseen circumstances.
TRIP CANCELLATION / TRIP INTERRUPTION
Whenever You are prevented from taking or completing a Covered Trip as a result of any of the unforeseen events listed below, We will reimburse You up to the Maximum Benefit Amount for Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption, for the following expenses:
1. any unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for Travel Arrangements;
2. any Published Penalties You incur as a result of a trip cancellation;
3. one way Economy Transportation, less the value of any unused return travel ticket, to return to the Point of Origin or to continue on Your Covered Trip when an interruption in Your Covered Trip occurs;
4. accommodations and transportation expenses for up to $150/day for 10 additional days when:
a) Your Traveling Companion is hospitalized or an Injury or Sickness to You not requiring hospitalization prevents You from continuing travel; and
b) You must extend Your Covered Trip with additional hotel nights due to medically imposed restriction by a Physician; or
5. up to $150 for any reissue fee charged by the airline for Your airfare if Your Travel Supplier cancels Your Covered Trip or repositions the cruise ship or departure location. You must have covered the entire cost of the Covered Trip including the airfare.
Trip Cancellation must result from an unforeseen event that occurs after Your Effective Date and before Your Scheduled Departure Date. Trip Interruption must result from an unforeseen event that occurs after Your Scheduled Departure Date.
Single Supplement Upgrade
We will reimburse You for the single supplement upgrade cost when Your Traveling Companion cancels his or her travel plans with You, or interrupts Your Covered Trip as a result of one of the unforeseen events listed below, and You decide not to cancel or interrupt Your Covered Trip.
As used in this provision, unforeseen events are as follows:
1. Any serious Injury or any serious Sickness occurring to:
a) You, which results in medically imposed travel restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of loss;
b) Your Business Partner or a Traveling Companion, which is so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to delay, cancel, or interrupt his/her trip;
c) Your or Your Traveling Companion’s Family Member that is considered life threatening or requiring hospitalization; or
d) Your or Your Traveling Companion’s Family Member requiring Your or Your Traveling Companion’s immediate care.
2. Your death, the death of Your Family Member, Business Partner or Your Traveling Companion or Your Traveling Companion’s Family Member.
3. Bankruptcy or Default of a Travel Supplier, other than the travel agency or organization from whom You purchased the Travel Arrangements. Benefits are provided only for the expenses charged by the Travel Supplier whose Bankruptcy or Default results in loss covered by the Policy and which stops service:
a) more than 14 days following Your Policy Effective Date for Trip Cancellation; or
b) after Your Scheduled Departure Date for Trip Interruption;
provided You purchased this insurance within 21 days from the date You paid the initial deposit on Your Covered Trip.
No coverage is provided for the total cessation or complete suspension of operations by a Travel Supplier caused by fraud or negligent misrepresentation by such Travel Supplier.
4. A Terrorist Incident in Your city of departure or Destination occurring after Your Effective Date, if You are scheduled to arrive in or depart from that city within 30 days following the Terrorist Incident.
5. Documented theft of Your or Your Traveling Companion’s passports and/or visas required for the Covered Trip.
6. A traffic accident directly involving You or Your Traveling Companion, as documented by a police report, while enroute to the Point of Origin.
7. Your or Your Traveling Companion’s place of business being made unsuitable for the transaction of business by fire, vandalism, burglary or Natural Disaster.
8. Death, hospitalization, or quarantine of Your Host at Destination.
9. You or Your Traveling Companion are hijacked, quarantined, called for jury duty, or called for a court ordered appearance as a witness (except law enforcement officers) in a trial in which You or Your Traveling Companion are not a party.
10. You or Your Traveling Companion are transferred by the employer with whom You or Your Traveling Companion are employed as a full-time active employee at the time You enrolled for this insurance. Such transfer must result in You or Your Traveling Companion having to relocate 250 miles or more from Your or Your Traveling Companion’s original Primary Residence.
11. You or Your Traveling Companion being called to the emergency service of the government in response to a Natural Disaster.
12. Your arrival at Your Destination is delayed and causes You to lose 50% or more of the scheduled Covered Trip duration due to any the unforeseen events covered under Trip Delay.
13. Involuntary termination or layoff affecting You or Your Traveling Companion. Employment must have been on an active full-time basis and with the same employer for at least 3 continuous years immediately preceding the termination or layoff.
14. An Organized Labor Strike that causes complete cessation of travel services delaying the departure of Your Covered Trip for at least 24 consecutive hours.
15. Inclement Weather which causes Your Common Carrier to delay the departure of Your Covered Trip for at least 24 hours.
16. Your or Your Traveling Companion’s Primary Residence or Destination accommodations being made uninhabitable during Your Covered Trip by fire, vandalism, burglary or Natural Disaster.
17. Burglary of Your or Your Traveling Companion’s residence within 10 days of Your Scheduled Departure Date or during Your Covered Trip.
18. Injuries sustained during a felonious assault committed against You or Your Traveling Companion which occurs within 10 days of Your Scheduled Departure Date or during Your Covered Trip.
OPTIONAL TRIP CANCELLATION / TRIP INTERRUPTION ALL EVENTS UPGRADE
If You or Your Traveling Companion are prevented from taking or completing Your Covered Trip for any reason:
a) that occurs after the Effective Date of the Policy and this upgrade;
b) not otherwise covered under the Policy; and
c) not specifically excluded under “EXCLUSIONS APPLICABLE TO THE OPTIONAL ALL EVENTS UPGRADE”
We will reimburse You up to 95% of the Maximum Benefi t Amount for Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption. Coverage under the Policy and this upgrade must have been purchased within 21 days of the initial Covered Trip payment.
Coverage under this provision provides reimbursement for the following expenses:
1. 95% of any unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for travel arrangements;
2. 95% of any Published Penalties You incur as a result of a trip cancellation;
3. 95% one way Economy Transportation to return to the Point of Origin or to continue on Your Covered Trip when an interruption in Your Covered Trip occurs; or
4. 95% of any additional reasonable expenses incurred for an unplanned overnight stay resulting from an interruption in Your Covered Trip.
For this upgrade, the “Exclusions Applicable to the Optional All Events Upgrade” replaces the “General Exclusions and Limitations”. All other Policy provisions apply unless specifi cally amended.
Exclusions Applicable to the Optional All Events Upgrade
No coverage is provided for any loss caused by or resulting from:
1. any event that would reasonably be expected to interfere with travel plans at the time this coverage was purchased;
2. cancellation or interruption of Your Covered Trip for any discretionary reason including fear of travel or loss of enjoyment;
3. Your or Your Traveling Companion’s participation in a felony, riot or insurrection; or
4. a governmental regulation or prohibition.
Your Duties in the event of Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption
All cancellations or interruptions must be reported to the Travel Supplier within 72 hours of the unforeseen event causing the need to cancel or interrupt Your Covered Trip, unless the event prevents it, and then as soon as is reasonably possible. If the cancellation or interruption is not reported within the specified 72-hour period, We will not pay for additional expenses or charges which would not have been incurred had You notified the Travel Supplier in the specified period. If the unforeseen event prevents You from reporting the cancellation or interruption, the 72-hour notice requirement does not apply.
However, You must, if requested, provide proof that the unforeseen event prevented You from reporting the cancellation or interruption within the specified period. In order to qualify for reimbursement under this provision, You must submit to Us with Your claim:
1. the date Your Covered Trip was canceled or interrupted;
2. copies of Your travel invoices;
3. the original, unused travel tickets or vouchers;
4. Your Travel Supplier’s cancellation clause with regard to non-refundable costs, charges or expenses;
5. receipts or other proofs of payment;
6. detailed medical documentation if the trip cancellation or trip interruption was caused by or resulted from a serious Injury or serious Sickness; and
7. any other information We deem necessary to properly adjudicate Your claim.
Accident means a sudden, unexpected, unusual, specific and abrupt event. Such event must occur by chance at an identifiable time and place while coverage is in force. Any loss caused by, or resulting from a sickness or disease is not an Accident.
Actual Cash Value means the original cost of Your Baggage and Personal Effects less any depreciation as determined by Us.
Additional Transportation Cost means the actual cost incurred for one-way, Economy Transportation as charged by a Common Carrier, reduced by the value of an unused travel ticket.
Baggage and Personal Effects means any luggage or goods being used by You during a Covered Trip.
Bankruptcy means the filing of a petition for voluntary or involuntary bankruptcy in a court of competent jurisdiction under Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code 11 U.S.C. Subsection 101 et seq.
Business Partner means an individual who has at least a 20% ownership interest in a commercial enterprise in which You also have at least a 20% ownership interest; and You are both actively engaged in the daily management of the business.
Common Carrier means any public land, water, or air conveyance operated under a license for the transportation of passengers for hire.
Confirmation of Coverage means the coverage confirmation provided to You following enrollment and payment of the applicable premium as calculated on the enrollment form. The Confirmation of Coverage is attached to and made a part of this certificate.
Covered Trip means scheduled trips, tours or cruises for which: 1) coverage is requested; 2) the required premium is paid prior to Your Effective Date of coverage; and 3) the trip exceeds 150 miles from Your Primary Residence.
Default means the inability to provide contracted services due to total cessation or complete suspension of operations due to financial insolvency, with or without the filing of a Bankruptcy petition, whether voluntary or involuntary, by a tour operator, cruise line, airline, or other Travel Supplier which is duly licensed in the states of operation other than the person, organization, agency or firm from whom You directly purchased or to whom You paid for Your Covered Trip.
Destination means the place to which You expect to travel on Your Covered Trip.
Economy Transportation means transportation at the lowest published available rate for a ticket on a Common Carrier matching the original class of transportation that You purchased for the Covered Trip.
Emergency means an unforeseen Sickness or Injury that requires immediate Medical Treatment to prevent or alleviate existing danger to life or health. An Emergency no longer exists when medical evidence indicates that You are able to return to Your Point of Origin or to continue with the Covered Trip without endangering Your life or physical health.
Emergency Medical Expenses means expense incurred during Your Covered Trip for Emergency services and supplies listed below and ordered or prescribed by a Physician as Medically Necessary for diagnosis or treatment. Such Expenses are limited to:
1. the services of a Physician;
2. Hospital or ambulatory medical-surgical center services (this will also include expenses for a cruise ship cabin or hotel room, not already included in the cost of Your Covered Trip, if recommended as a substitute for a hospital room for recovery of an Injury or Sickness); and
3. transportation furnished by a professional ambulance company to and from a Hospital; and
4. prescribed drugs, prosthetics and therapeutic services and supplies.
Family Member means: legal spouse or common-law spouse (where legal), legal guardian, legal ward, son or daughter (adopted, foster, step or in-law), brother or sister (includes step or in-law), parent (includes step or in-law), grandparent (includes inlaw), great-grandparent, grandchild, great-grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or Key Person provided such Family Member resides in the United States, Canada or Mexico.
Hospital means an institution established according to law which:
1. holds a license as a Hospital (if required in the state);
2. operates primarily for the reception, care and treatment of sick or injured persons as in-patients;
3. provides 24-hour nursing service;
4. has a staff of one or more Physicians available at all times;
5. provides organized facilities for diagnosis and surgery;
6. is not primarily a clinic, nursing, rest or convalescent home or a skilled nursing facility or similar establishment; and
7. is not, other than incidentally, a place for treatment of alcoholism, drug addiction or mental or nervous disorders. The nursing service must be by registered or graduate nurses on duty or call. Confinement in a special unit of a Hospital used primarily as a nursing, rest or convalescent home or skilled nursing facility will not be deemed to be a confinement in a Hospital.
Host at Destination means the person, at his or her usual place of residence, with whom You have arranged overnight accommodation for the majority of Your Covered Trip. A Host at Destination does not include any commercial facilities.
Inclement Weather means any weather condition that delays the scheduled arrival or departure of a Common Carrier.
Injury means bodily injury caused by an Accident. The injury must:
1. occur while Your coverage is in force;
2. result, directly and independently of all other causes; and
3. be certified by a local attending Physician.
Insured means the eligible person whose insurance is in force under terms of the Policy.
Key Person means 1) an employed caregiver of Your legal dependent; or 2) a person to whom You are not married and with whom You have cohabited for 12 continuous months.
Maximum Benefit Amount means the maximum amount payable for each coverage as shown in Your Confirmation of Coverage.
Maximum Waiver Amount means the maximum limit of benefi ts for Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption and Emergency Medical Expenses, as stated on Your Confirmation of Coverage, where the Pre-existing Conditions Exclusion is not applied.
Medical Treatment means treatment, advice or consultation by a Physician or care provided under a Physician’s supervision or direction.
Medically Necessary means an Emergency treatment, service or supply that is:
1. recommended by the local attending Physician;
2. performed under the Physician’s care, or supervision; and
3. determined by Us to be:
a) consistent with generally accepted medical practice for the Injury or Sickness;
b) could not have been omitted without adversely affecting Your condition or quality of medical care;
c) is delivered at the most appropriate level of care, and not primarily for the sake of convenience; and
d) is not considered experimental unless coverage for experimental service or supply is required by law.
Natural Disaster means a disaster resulting from natural causes including flood, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, volcanic eruption or blizzard.
Organized Labor Strike means any stoppage of work:
1. as a result of the combined effect of workers which was unannounced and unpublished at the time coverage under the Policy was purchased; and
2. that interferes with the normal departure and arrival of a Common Carrier. It does not include a general strike whereby all or most of the workers of a country, province, state, city or town cease work.
Physician means a medical doctor or a Christian Science practitioner who is:
1) practicing within the scope of his or her license; and
2) recognized as a physician in the place where medical services are rendered. Physician does not include You, a Traveling Companion or a Family Member.
Point of Origin means Your original place of departure for Your Covered Trip.
Pre-existing Condition means a condition occurring during the 60 day period immediately prior to Your Effective Date:
1. for which medical advice, care or treatment was received or recommended by a Physician regardless of whether or not a diagnosis was made and;
2. which produced symptoms or whose onset or manifestation occurred during such 60 day period. Such symptoms must have been significant enough to establish manifestation or onset which would have: a) caused an ordinarily prudent person to seek diagnosis or treatment; or b) enabled a Physician to diagnose such illness, disease, injury or other condition. A Pre-existing Condition does not include any condition which is solely controlled through the taking of prescription medication and which has remained stable or controlled without any adjustment or change in the required prescription throughout the 60 day period immediately prior to Your Effective Date. TADEF-22BA Primary Residence means Your principal domicile.
Published Penalties means any published cancellation penalties issued by Your travel agency or Travel Supplier that apply to all clients of the travel agency or Travel Supplier and can be documented at time of the Covered Trip sale. Published Penalties includes any penalties imposed by the travel agency or Travel Supplier of up to 10% of the Covered Trip Cost (excluding taxes and other non-commissionable items); or 10% of the amount You have paid towards the Covered Trip, whichever is less.
Scheduled Departure Date means the date on which You are originally scheduled to leave Your Point of Origin.
Scheduled Return Date means the date You are originally scheduled to return to the Point of Origin as shown in Your Confirmation of Coverage.
Sickness means an illness or disease which is diagnosed or treated by a Physician after Your Effective Date and while You are covered under the Policy.
Terrorist Incident means the unsanctioned and illegal use of violence (excluding general civil disturbance, rioting, an act of war whether declared or undeclared or the intentional release of a biological material), which caused destruction of property, injury, or death by an individual or group for the express or implied purpose of achieving a political, ethnic, or religious goal or result.
Transportation Expense means: 1) the cost of the conveyance of You and any medical personnel (if Medically Necessary); and 2) Medically Necessary services and supplies provided during Your conveyance.
Travel Arrangements means: 1) transportation; 2) travel accommodations; and 3) other specifi ed services arranged by the Travel Supplier for the Covered Trip.
Traveling Companion means a person with whom You: 1) have coordinated Travel Arrangements; and 2) intend to travel with during Your Covered Trip (up to a maximum of 4 persons including You). Note: a group or tour leader is not considered a Traveling Companion unless You are sharing room accommodations with the group or tour leader.
Travel Supplier means any entity or organization that coordinates or supplies travel services for You.
Trip Cost means all prepaid Covered Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions including the cost of any subsequent arrangements added to Your Covered Trip.
Usual and Customary Charges means the amount charged for similar or comparable treatment, services and supplies in the geographic area where treatment is performed.
We, Our and Us mean Old Republic Insurance Company.
You, Your and Yours mean the Insured to whom this certificate is issued.
Exclusions may vary based on State of residence. Please refer to the state specific certificate for details.
Property and Casualty Benefits are Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Trip Delay, Missed Connection, Itinerary Change, Baggage and Personal Effects and Baggage Delay.
Accident and Health Benefits are Accidental Death and Dismemberment and Emergency Medical Benefits.
The Policy does not cover any loss caused by or resulting from:
1. suicide, attempted suicide, or any intentionally self-inflicted Injury;
2. war or act of war (whether declared or undeclared);
3. service in the Armed Forces or units auxiliary thereto;
4. aviation, other than as a fare-paying passenger on a scheduled or charter flight operated by a scheduled airline;
5. intoxication or under the influence of any medication or drugs, unless taken as prescribed by a Physician. Intoxication means that which is defined and determined by the laws of the jurisdiction where the loss or cause of loss occurred;
6. participation in a felony;
7. participation in a riot or insurrection;
8. mental or emotional disorders unless hospitalized for 3 or more consecutive days after Your Effective Date;
9. a condition for which You have received advice from a Physician advising against travel 90 days prior to Your Effective Date;
10. any elective Medical Treatment;
11. pregnancy except complications of pregnancy;
12. travel to or through a city or country of Destination, as reflected in Your travel itinerary, which is under a travel warning issued by the United States Department of State at the time this insurance is purchased and the loss or delay was a direct result of the incidents surrounding the travel warning, unless You are in the United States, its possessions or the countries of Canada and Mexico.
13. riding, driving or participating in races, or speed or endurance contests;
14. mountaineering (engaging in the sport of scaling mountains generally requiring the use of picks, ropes or other special equipment);
15. participating as a member of a team in an organized sporting competition or as a professional in athletics;
16. participating in skydiving, hang gliding, bungee cord jumping, deep sea diving or scuba diving (unless You hold an open water diving certificate or You are accompanied by a dive master and not diving deeper than 130 feet);
17. a governmental regulation or prohibition (applies to Property and Casualty Benefits only);
18. a diagnosed sickness from which no recovery is expected and for which only palliative treatment is provided and which carries a prognosis of death within 12 months of Your Effective Date;
19. any sub-orbital or orbital space flights; or
20. travel for the purpose of receiving medical care, medication or treatment (applies to Property and Casualty Benefi ts only).
MAXIMUM LIMIT OF LIABILITY
(For Other Than Emergency Medical Evacuation/Repatriation)
All limits are applied per trip. Our maximum limit of liability resulting from the same occurrence will be $10,000,000. If the loss for all Insureds from such an occurrence exceeds $10,000,000, We will pay each Insured that proportion of the benefits stated which $10,000,000 bears to the total loss of all persons insured under all travel insurance in force with Us. We will pay no more than $1,000,000 per occurrence to or on account of any person insured.
PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS EXCLUSION
The Policy does not cover Trip Cancellation/Interruption and Emergency Medical Benefits losses or expenses if they result from a Pre-existing Condition.
PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS LIMITATION
If You have purchased a program where the Pre-existing Conditions Exclusion is waived, We cover these Pre-existing Conditions up to the Maximum Waiver Amount provided:
1. Your insurance was purchased within 21 days of the initial Covered Trip payment;
2. You had not filed a claim with any insurer for Trip Cancellation/Interruption due to a sickness or injury within 90 days prior to the purchase of the Policy; and
3. The condition is not excluded by the
GENERAL EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS.
The Pre-Existing Conditions Exclusion applies to all amounts over the Maximum Waiver Amount shown on the Confirmation of Coverage except for Medical Evacuation/Repatriation benefi ts which are not subject to the Maximum Waiver Amount. If You do not meet the above criteria, You will still be covered for Trip Cancellation/Interruption and Emergency Medical Benefits caused by reasons other than those related to the Pre-existing Condition.