Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is interrupted for illness, death or other unforeseen circumstances.
150% of the trip cost
Provides reimbursement for non-refundable trip payments and deposits if a trip is interrupted for illness, death or other unforeseen circumstances.
We will pay a benefit, up to the maximum shown on the Schedule of Benefits, if You are prevented from continuing or resuming Your Covered Trip due to any of the Unforeseen events listed below.
We will pay You for the following:
a) The unused, non-refundable travel arrangements prepaid to the Travel Supplier(s).
b) Additional Transportation expenses incurred by You.
c) Return air travel up to the lesser of the cost of an economy flight or the amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits.
d) Up to the maximum shown in the Schedule of Benefits for the airfare paid, less the value of applied credit from an unused return travel ticket to reach the original destination if You are delayed and leave after the Scheduled Departure Date, or return You to the return destination of the Covered Trip as specified in the original travel documents, from the point where You interrupted the Covered Trip, or rejoin the Covered Trip from the point where You interrupted the Covered Trip.
e) If You used frequent traveler awards (frequent flyer miles or Hotel rewards) for any part of a Covered Trip, We will pay the fees incurred by You for re-depositing those awards in Your account if the Covered Trip is interrupted for any of the reasons described below. In no event shall the amount We pay exceed the lesser of the amount You prepaid for the Covered Trip or the maximum benefit shown on the Schedule of Benefits.
For Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption, Unforeseen Events Include:
(a) Accidental Injury, Sickness or death of You, Your Traveling Companion, Your Family Member, or Your Business Partner; which results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a Physician at the time of loss preventing Your participation or continued participation in the Covered Trip. A Physician must advise cancellation of the Covered Trip on or before the Scheduled Departure Date.
(b) The death or hospitalization of Your Host at Destination.
c) Inclement weather, Natural Disasters, Terrorist Attacks, or mechanical breakdown of the common carrier which results in the complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or destination for at least 24 consecutive hours.
(d) Adverse weather or Natural Disasters resulting in the complete cessation of travel services.
(e) Natural Disaster or documented man-made disaster at the point of departure or Your destination which renders Your primary residence or the accommodations at Your destination uninhabitable.
(f) Strike that causes complete cessation of services of Your Common Carrier for at least 24 consecutive hours.
(g) Your transfer by the employer with whom You are employed on the Effective Date of insurance which requires Your principal residence to be relocated.
(h) You or Your Traveling Companion are terminated, or laid off from employment, from a place of employment for which You have been employed for the past 3 consecutive years.
(i) Your business operations are interrupted by fire, flood, burglary, vandalism, product recall, Bankruptcy, Natural Disaster, or financial Default.
(j) If within 30 days of Your departure, a politically motivated Terrorist Attack occurs within a 100 mile radius of the territorial City limits of the City to be visited as shown in Your itinerary and the United States government issues a travel advisory indicating that Americans should not travel to a City named on the itinerary.
(k) Bankruptcy and/or Default of Your Travel Supplier which occurs more than 14 days following Your Effective Date. Your Scheduled Departure Date must be no more than 12 months beyond Your Effective Date. Benefits will be paid due to Bankruptcy or Default of an airline only if no alternate Transportation is available. If alternate Transportation is available, benefits will be limited to the change fee charged to allow You to transfer to another airline in order to get to Your intended destination. This coverage only applies if the Policy
was purchased within 14 calendar days of the initial Trip payment.
(l) A documented theft of passports or visas. Documented means that You have reported the theft to the local authorities.
(m) You and/or Your Traveling Companion are hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury, subpoenaed, required to appear as a witness in a legal action, provided You are or Your Traveling Companion are not a party to the legal action or appearing as a law enforcement officer.
(n) You and/or Your Traveling Companion are the victim of felonious assault; have Your principal place of residence made uninhabitable by fire, flood or other Natural Disaster; or burglary of Your principal place of residence within 10 days of departure.
(o) You or Your Traveling Companion being directly involved in or delayed due to a traffic Accident substantiated by a police report, while en route to departure.
(p) You or Your Traveling Companion who are military personnel, are called to emergency duty for a disaster other than war or are called to active military duty, have their leave revoked or are reassigned for reasons other than War.
(q) A cancellation of Your Covered Trip if Your arrival on the Covered Trip is delayed and causes You to lose 51% or more of the scheduled Covered Trip duration due to the reasons covered under the Trip Delay benefit.
“Accident” means a sudden, unexpected, unusual, specific event which occurs at an identifiable time and place, but shall also include exposure resulting from a mishap to a conveyance in which You are traveling.
“Accidental Injury” means bodily injury caused by an Accident, directly and independently of all other causes and sustained on or after the Effective Date of this coverage and on or before the Scheduled Return Date. Benefits for Accidental Injury will not be paid for any loss caused by Sickness or other bodily diseases or infirmity.
“Actual Cash Value” means purchase price less depreciation.
“Adventure Sports” means leisure and non-professional sports activities in: bungee cord jumping; rock climbing; mountain climbing up to 4,572 meters (15,000 feet), scuba diving for Qualified Divers up to a maximum depth of 40 meters (131 feet) and for Unqualified Divers up to a maximum depth of 30 meters (98 feet), white or black water rafting (Grades 1-4), back country or off-trail skiing or snowboarding (except as designated unsafe by the resort management), parachuting or skydiving, helicopter skiing, extreme skiing or snowboarding; spelunking or caving.
“Assistance Company” means the service provider with whom We have contracted to coordinate and deliver emergency travel assistance, medical evacuation and repatriation.
“Baggage” means luggage and personal effects and possessions whether owned, borrowed, or rented, and taken by You on the Covered Trip.
“Bankruptcy” means the filing of a petition for voluntary or involuntary Bankruptcy in a court of competent jurisdiction under Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code 11 U.S.C. Subsection 101 et seq. “Business Equipment” means property used in trade, business, or for the production of income; or offered for sale or trade or components of goods offered for sale or trade.
“Business Partner" means an individual who: (a) is involved in a legal partnership; and (b) is actively involved in the day to day management of the business.
“City” means an incorporated municipality having defined borders and does not include the high seas, uninhabited areas, or airspace.
“Common Carrier” means any regularly scheduled land, sea, and/or air conveyance operating under a valid license for the Transportation of passengers for hire.
“Complications of Pregnancy” means a condition whose diagnosis is distinct from pregnancy but is adversely affected or caused by pregnancy.
“Covered Expenses” shall mean expenses incurred by You which are: for Medically Necessary services, supplies, care, or treatment; due to Sickness or Accidental Injury; prescribed, performed or ordered by a Physician; Reasonable and Customary charges; incurred while insured under the Policy; and which do not exceed the maximum limits shown in the Schedule of benefits, under each stated benefit.
“Covered Trip” means a trip for which You request insurance coverage and pay the required premium, and includes:
a) a period of travel away from home to a destination outside Your City of residence;
b) the purpose of the trip is business or pleasure; and
c) the trip has defined Departure and Return dates.
“Deductible” means the dollar amount You must contribute to the loss.
“Default” means a material failure or inability to provide contracted services due to financial insolvency.
“Dependent Child(ren)” means Your children, including an unmarried child, stepchild, legally adopted child or foster child who is: less than age 19 and primarily dependent on You for support and maintenance; or who is at least age 19 but less than age 23 and who regularly attends an accredited school or college; and who is primarily dependent on You for support and maintenance.
“Domestic Partner” means a person, at least 18 years of age, with whom You have been living in a spousal relationship with evidence of cohabitation for at least 6 continuous months prior to the Effective Date of coverage.
“Effective Date” means the date and time Your coverage begins, as outlined in Section III. Eligibility and Period of Coverage of the Policy.
”Emergency Medical Evacuation” means Your medical condition warrants immediate Transportation from the place where You are injured or sick to Your Hospital of choice because Your medical condition warrants such evacuation.
”Emergency Sickness” means an illness or disease, diagnosed by a legally licensed Physician, which meets all of the following criteria: (1) there is a present severe or acute symptom requiring immediate care and the failure to obtain such care could reasonably result in serious deterioration of Your condition or place Your life in jeopardy; (2) the severe or acute symptom occurs suddenly and unexpectedly; and (3) the severe or acute symptom occurs while Your coverage is in force and during Your Covered Trip.
“Exotic Vehicles” includes Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Auburn, Avanti, Bentley, Bertone, BMC/Leyland, BMW M Series, Bradley, Bricklin, Corvette, Cosworth, Citroen, Clenet, De Lorean, Excalibre, Ferrari, Fiat, Hummer, Iso, Jaguar, Jensen, Jensen Healy, Lamborghini, Lancia, Lotus, Maserati, MG, Morgan, Pantera, Panther, Pininfarina, Rolls Royce, Rover, Stutz, Sterling, Triumph, or TVR. Antique cars meaning cars that are over 20 years old or have not been manufactured for 10 or more years. Any vehicle with an original manufacturer’s suggested retail price greater than $50,000. This is not a comprehensive list, please contact Us or Our Administrator for eligibility.
“Family Member” means You or Your Traveling Companion’s legal or common law spouse, Domestic Partner, Your Dependent Child(ren), Yours or Your Domestic Partner’s caregiver, parent, legal guardian, step-parent, grandparent, parents-in-law, grandchild, natural or adopted child, foster child, ward, step-child, children-in-law, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew.
“Hospital” means a facility that:
a) holds a valid license if it is required by the law;
b) operates primarily for the care and treatment of sick or injured persons as in-patients;
c) has a staff of 1 or more Physicians available at all times;
d) provides 24 hour nursing service and has at least 1 registered professional nurse on duty or call;
e) has organized diagnostic and surgical facilities, either on the premises or in facilities available to the Hospital on a pre-arranged basis; and
f) is not, except incidentally, a clinic, nursing home, rest home, or convalescent home for the aged or similar institution.
“Inclement Weather” means any severe weather condition which delays the scheduled arrival or departure of a Common Carrier.
“Insured” means a person who has enrolled for insurance under this Policy. You and Your also means the Insured.
“Medically Necessary” means that a treatment, service, or supply is: essential for diagnosis, treatment or care of the Accidental Injury or Sickness for which it is prescribed or performed, meets generally accepted standards of medical practice and is ordered by a Physician and performed under his or her care, supervision or order. “Natural Disaster” means flood, fire, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, tsunami, volcanic eruption, blizzard or avalanche that is due to natural causes.
“Payments or Deposits” means the cash, check, or credit card amounts actually paid for Your Covered Trip. Certificates; vouchers; frequent traveler rewards, miles or points; discounts and/or credits applied (in part or in full) towards the cost of Your Covered Trip are not Payments or Deposits as defined herein.
“Physician” means a licensed practitioner of medical, surgical or dental services acting within the scope of his or her license and shall include Christian Science Practitioners. The treating Physician may not be You, a Traveling Companion or a Family Member.
“Policy” shall mean this individual Policy document, the Confirmation of Benefits, the Schedule of Benefits, and any endorsements, riders or amendments that will attach during the period of coverage.
“Pre-Existing Condition” means any Accidental Injury, Sickness or condition of You, Your Traveling Companion, or Your Family Member booked to travel with You for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 60 day period ending on the Effective Date. Sicknesses or conditions are not considered pre-existing if the Sickness or condition for which prescribed drugs or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription.
“Qualified Diver” means a diver that is certified by a recognized scuba diving authority such as the Professional Association of Diving Instructors.
“Reasonable and Customary / Reasonable and Customary Charges” means an expense which:
a) is charged for treatment, supplies, or medical services Medically Necessary to treat Your condition;
b) does not exceed the usual level of charges for similar treatment, supplies or medical services in the locality where the expense is incurred; and
c) does not include charges that would not have been made if no insurance existed. In no event will the Reasonable and Customary charges exceed the actual amount charged.
“Scheduled Departure Date” means the date on which You are originally scheduled to leave on the Covered Trip.
“Scheduled Return Date” means the date on which You are originally scheduled to return to the point of origin or to a different final destination or to Your primary residence from a Covered Trip.
“Sickness" means an illness or disease which is diagnosed or treated by a Physician on or after the Effective Date of insurance and while You are covered under the Policy.
“Strike” means a stoppage of work (a) announced, organized and sanctioned by a labor union and (b) which interferes with the normal departure and arrival of a Common Carrier. Included in the definition of Strikes are work slowdowns and sickouts.
“Terrorist Attack” means an incident deemed an act of terrorism by the U.S. Department of State.
“Transportation” means any land, sea or air conveyance required to transport You during an Emergency Medical Evacuation. Transportation includes, but is not limited to, Common Carrier, air ambulances, land ambulances and private motor vehicles.
“Traveling Companion” means person(s) named and traveling under the same reservation as You, person(s) booked to accompany You on Your Covered Trip, person(s) sharing travel arrangements with You, or a person or persons with whom You have coordinated travel arrangements and intend to travel with You during the Covered Trip. Note: A group or tour leader is not considered a Traveling Companion unless You are sharing room accommodations with the group or tour leader.
“Travel Supplier” means any entity involved in providing travel services or travel arrangements.
“Unforeseen” means not anticipated or expected, and occurring on or after the Effective Date of the Policy.
“Unqualified Diver” means a diver who is not certified by a recognized scuba diving authority such as the Professional Association of Diving Instructors.
The following exclusions apply to Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, Single Occupancy, Itinerary Change, Missed Connection, Trip Delay, Accident or Sickness Medical Expense, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Accidental Death and Dismemberment – Common Carrier, Accidental Death and Dismemberment – Common Carrier (Air Only, if applicable), Emergency Medical Evacuation, Repatriation of Remains, Baggage Delay, Baggage / Personal Effects, and Renters Collision Insurance (if applicable).
Loss caused by or resulting from:
1. Pre-Existing Conditions, as defined in the Definitions section, unless: a) the Policy is purchased within 14 days of Your initial Trip deposit; b) the booking for the Covered Trip must be the first and only booking for this travel period and destination; and c) You are not disabled from travel at the time You pay the premium;
2. Commission or the attempt to commit a criminal act by You, Your Traveling Companion, or Your Family Member, whether insured or not;
3. Dental treatment except as a result of an Accidental Injury to sound natural teeth;
4. Pregnancy and childbirth (except for Complications of Pregnancy) except if hospitalized;
5. Expenses incurred as a result of being under the influence of drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;
6. Mental or emotional disorders, unless hospitalized;
7. Participating in bodily contact sports; hang gliding; any race by horse, motor vehicle, or motorcycle;
8. Participation as a professional athlete;
9. Participation in any military maneuver or training exercise, police service, or any loss while You are in the
service of the armed forces of any country. Orders to active military service for training purposes of 2 months or less will not constitute service in the armed forces. Upon notice to Us of entering the armed forces, We will return to You pro-rata any premium paid, less any benefits paid, for any period during which You are in such service;
10. Participation in non-professional, organized amateur or interscholastic athletics or sports competitions or events;
11. Adventure Sports, as defined, unless the required premium has been paid;
12. Piloting or learning to pilot or acting as a member of the crew of any aircraft;
13. Services not shown as covered;
14. Curtailment or delayed return for other than covered Unforeseen reasons;
15. Any failure of a provider of travel related services (including any Travel Supplier) to provide the bargained-for travel services or to refund money due You;
16. Suicide, attempted suicide or any intentionally self-inflicted injury while sane or insane (in Colorado and Missouri, sane only) committed by You, Your Traveling Companion or Your Family Member, whether or not insured;
17. Traveling for the purpose of securing medical treatment;
18. Expenses for Custodial Care, whether recommended by a Physician or not;
19. Cosmetic surgery except for: reconstructive surgery incidental to or following surgery for trauma, or infection or other covered disease of the part of the body reconstructed, or to treat a congenital malformation of a child;
20. Accidental Injury or Sickness when traveling against the advice of a Physician;
21. Venereal disease or syphilis or other sexually transmitted disease;
22. Tuberculosis, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome or other chronic airborne pathogen;
23. War, invasion, acts of foreign enemies, hostilities between nations (whether declared or not), civil war; or Your participation in any military maneuver or training exercise;
24. Your participation in civil disorder, riot or a felony;
25. Care or treatment which is not Medically Necessary; or
26. Any non-emergency treatment or surgery, routine physical examinations, hearing aids, eye glasses or contact lenses;
27. Care or treatment for which compensation is payable under Worker’s Compensation Law, any Occupational Disease law; the 4800 Time Benefit plan or similar legislation.
The following exclusions apply to Baggage Delay, and Baggage / Personal Effects. We will not provide benefits for any loss or damage to:
2. automobiles and automobile equipment; trailers; motors; motorcycles;
3. boats or other vehicles or conveyances;
5. bicycles (except when checked as Baggage with a Common Carrier);
6. eye glasses, sunglasses or contact lenses;
7. artificial teeth and dental bridges; hearing aids;
8. prosthetic limbs;
9. keys, money, stamps, securities and documents;
11. art objects and musical instruments;
12. consumables including medicines, perfumes, cosmetics, and perishables;
13. professional or occupational equipment or property, whether or not electronic Business Equipment; 14. telephones, computer hardware or software; or
15. property illegally acquired, kept, stored or transported.
The following exclusions apply to Baggage Delay, and Baggage / Personal Effects. Any loss caused by or resulting from the following is excluded:
1. wear and tear or gradual deterioration;
2. insects or vermin;
3. inherent vice or damage while the article is actually being worked upon or processed; 4. confiscation or expropriation by order of any government;
5. radioactive contamination;
6. war or any act of war whether declared or not;
7. property shipped as freight or shipped prior to the Scheduled Departure Date.
8. delay or loss of market value;
9. indirect or consequential loss or damage of any kind;
10. theft or pilferage while left unattended in any vehicle if the vehicle is not property secured;
11. electrical current including electric arching that damages or destroys electrical devises or appliances;
12. mysterious disappearance;
13. confiscation or expropriation by order of any government.
The following exclusions apply to Renters Collision Insurance, if applicable:
1. Any obligation You assume under any agreement (except insurance collision Deductible);
2. Rentals of trucks, campers, trailers, off-road vehicles, motor bikes, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, limousines or other commercial or Exotic Vehicles;
3. Any Loss which occurs if You are in violation of the rental agreement;
4. Failure to report the loss to the proper local authorities and the rental company;
5. Damage to any other vehicle, structure or person as a result of a covered Loss;
6. Glass damage;
7. Overhead damage;
8. Tire damage;
9. Antique motor vehicles;
10. Any contents in the rental car;
11. Any Loss as the result of physical damage or loss attributable to mechanical breakdown or failure, wear and tear, gradual deterioration, corrosion, rust or freezing or any neglect or abuse of the vehicle by You.