Rental Car Damage provides reimbursement for damage to, or theft of, a rental vehicle during a covered trip.
OPTIONAL RENTAL CAR DAMAGE
You are eligible for benefits up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, if You rent a car while on Your Trip, and the car is damaged due to collision, theft, vandalism, windstorm, fire, hail, flood or any cause not in Your control while in Your possession, or the car is stolen while in Your possession and is not recovered.
We will pay the lesser of:
a) the cost of repairs and rental charges imposed by the rental company while the car is being repaired;
b) the Actual Cash Value of the car; or
c) the amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits.
Coverage is provided to You, provided You are a licensed driver and are listed on the rental agreement.
Coverage is not provided for loss due to:
1. any obligation of You, a Traveling Companion or Family Member traveling with You assumed under any agreement (except insurance collision deductible);
2. rentals of trucks, campers, trailers, motor bikes, motorcycles, recreational vehicles or Exotic Vehicles;
3. any loss which occurs if You or anyone traveling with You are in violation of the rental agreement;
4. failure to report the loss to the proper local authorities and the rental car company;
5. damage to any other vehicle, structure or person as a result of a covered loss;
6. any loss as the result of or attributed to driving the rental vehicle: while under the influence of alcohol or any illegal substance or the abuse of a legal substance; while using any medication which recommends abstinence from driving; in a speed competition; for compensation for hire; for illegal trade purposes, or transporting contraband;
7. any loss as the result of physical damage or loss attributed to: mechanical failure or breakdown of the rental vehicle; wear and tear, gradual deterioration, corrosion, rust or freezing; any neglect or abuse of the vehicle; any dishonest act or conversion; any consequence of war (declared or otherwise); or contamination by a radioactive material.
“Exotic Vehicles” means Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Auburn, Avanti, Bentley, Bertone, BMC/Leyland, BMW M Series, Bradley, Bricklin, Clenet, Corvette, Cosworth, De Lorean, Excalibre, Ferrari, Iso, Jaguar, Jensen Healy, Lamborghini, Lancia, Lotus, Maserati, Mercedes Benz, MG, Morgan, Pantera, Panther, Pininfarina, Porsche, Rolls-Royce, Rover, Stutz, Sterling, Triumph, and TVR.
ADDITIONAL CLAIMS PROVISIONS SPECIFIC TO RENTAL CAR DAMAGE
The following outlines Your duties in the event of any damage to the vehicle. You must:
a) Take all necessary and reasonable steps to protect the vehicle and prevent further damage to it;
b) Report the loss to the appropriate local authorities and the rental company as soon as possible;
c) Obtain all information on any other party involved in the Accident, such as name, address, insurance information and driver’s license number;
d) Provide Us all documentation such as rental agreement, police report and damage estimate.