“Actual Cash Value” means purchase price less depreciation.
“Baggage” means luggage, travel documents, and personal possessions whether owned, borrowed, or rented, taken by the Insured on the Trip.
“Business Partner” means a person who:
(1) is involved with the Insured or the Insured’s Traveling Companion in a legal partnership; and
(2) is actively involved in the daily management of the business.
“Caregiver” means an individual employed for the purpose of providing assistance with activities of daily living to the Insured or to the Insured’s Family Member who has a physical or mental impairment. The Caregiver must be employed by the Insured or the Insured’s Family Member. A Caregiver is not a babysitter; childcare service, facility or provider; or persons employed by any service, provider or facility to supply assisted living.
“Children”/“Child” means, with respect to the Medical Expense and Emergency Evacuation Benefits, unmarried children of the Insured, including natural children from the moment of birth, and step, foster or adopted children from the moment of placement in the Insured’s home, under age 25 and primarily dependent on the Insured for support and maintenance. However, the age limit does not apply to a child who:
(1) otherwise meets the definition of Children; and
(2) is incapable of self-sustaining employment by reason of mental or physical incapacity.
“City” means an incorporated municipality having defined borders and does not include the high seas, uninhabited areas or airspace.
“Common Carrier” means an air, land, or sea conveyance operated under a license for the transportation of passengers for hire.
“Complications of Pregnancy” means conditions whose diagnoses are distinct from pregnancy but are adversely affected by pregnancy or are caused by pregnancy. These conditions include acute nephritis, nephrosis, cardiac decompensation, missed abortion and similar medical and surgical conditions of comparable severity. Complications of Pregnancy also include nonelective cesarean section, ectopic pregnancy which is terminated and spontaneous termination of pregnancy, which occurs during a period of gestation in which a viable birth is not possible.
Complications of Pregnancy do not include false labor, occasional spotting, Physician-prescribed rest during the period of pregnancy, morning sickness, hyperemesis gravidarum, preeclampsia and similar conditions associated with the management of a difficult pregnancy not constituting a nosologically distinct complication of pregnancy.
“Deductible” means the amount of charges that must be incurred by an Insured before benefits become payable. The amount of the Deductible is shown in the Schedule for each coverage to which a Deductible applies.
“Departure Date” means the date on which the Insured is originally scheduled to leave on his/her Trip. This date is specified in the travel documents.
“Destination” means any place where the Insured expects to travel to on his/her Trip other than Return Destination as shown on the travel documents.
“Domestic Partner” means an opposite or a same-sex partner who is at least 18 years of age and has met all of the following requirements for at least 6 months:
(1) resides with the Insured;
(2) shares financial assets and obligations with the Insured; The Insurer may require proof of the Domestic Partner relationship in the form of a signed and completed Affidavit of Domestic Partnership.
“Eligible Person” means a person who is a member of an eligible class of persons as described in the Description of Eligible Persons section of the Master Application.
“Exotic Vehicle” means Antique cars, any vehicle with an original manufacturer’s suggested retail price greater than $50,000. Antique cars means cars that are over 20 years old or have not been manufactured for 10 or more years.
“Experimental or Investigative” means treatment, a device or prescription medication which is recommended by a Physician, but is not considered by the medical community as a whole to be safe and effective for the condition for which the treatment, device or prescription medication is being used. This includes any treatment, procedure, facility, equipment, drugs, drug usage, devices, or supplies not recognized as accepted medical practice, and any of those items requiring federal or other governmental agency approval not received at the time services are rendered.
“Family Member” means the Insured’s or Traveling Companion’s spouse, Domestic Partner, Child, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, brother, sister, mother, father, grandparents, grandchild, step-child, step-brother, step-sister, step-parents, parents-in-law, brother-inlaw, sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, legal guardian, Caregiver, foster Child, ward, or legal ward, or spouse or Domestic Partner of any of the above.
“Felonious Assault” means an act of violence against the Insured or a Traveling Companion requiring medical treatment in a Hospital.
“Financial Default” means the total cessation of operations due to insolvency, with or without the filing of a bankruptcy petition by a tour operator, cruise line, or airline.
“Hospital” means a facility that:
(1) is operated according to law for the care and treatment of sick or Injured people;
(2) has organized facilities for diagnosis and surgery on its premises or in facilities available to it on a prearranged basis;
(3) has 24 hour nursing service by registered nurses (R.N.’s); and
(4) is supervised by one or more Physicians available at all times.
A Hospital does not include:
(1) a nursing, convalescent or geriatric unit of a hospital when a patient is confined mainly to receive nursing care;
(2) a facility that is, other than incidentally, a clinic, a rest home, nursing home, convalescent home, home health care, or home for the aged; nor does it include any ward, room, wing, or other section of the hospital that is used for such purposes; or
(3) any military or veterans hospital or soldiers home or any hospital contracted for or operated by any national government or government agency for the treatment of members or ex-members of the armed forces.
“Host At Destination” means the person with whom the Insured is sharing prearranged overnight accommodations in the host’s home.
“Inclement Weather” means any severe weather condition which delays the scheduled arrival or departure of a Common Carrier or prevents the Insured from reaching his/her Destination when traveling by an Owned or Rented Vehicle.
“Initial Trip Payment” means the first payment made to the Insured’s Travel Supplier toward the cost of the Insured’s Trip.
“Injury/Injured” means a bodily injury caused by an accident occurring while the Insured’s coverage under the Policy is in force, and resulting directly and independently of all other causes of Loss covered by the Policy. The injury must be verified by a Physician.
“Insured” means an Eligible Person for whom:
a) any required enrollment form has been completed;
b) any required plan cost has been paid;
c) while covered under the Policy.
“Insurer” means National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, Pa.
“Key Employee” means an employee of an employer who is responsible for policy and decision making.
“Loss” means Injury or damage sustained by the Insured as a consequence of one or more of the events against which the Insurer has undertaken to compensate the Insured.
“Medically Necessary” means that a treatment, service, or supply:
(1) is essential for diagnosis, treatment, or care of the Injury or Sickness for which it is prescribed or performed;
(2) meets generally accepted standards of medical practice;
(3) is ordered by a Physician and performed under his or her care, supervision, or order; and
(4) is not primarily for the convenience of the Insured, Physician, other providers, or any other person.
“Mental, Nervous or Psychological Disorder” means a mental or nervous health condition including, but not limited to: anxiety, depression, neurosis, phobia, psychosis; or any related physical manifestation.
“Natural Disaster” means a flood, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, fire, wildfire, volcanic eruption, or blizzard that is due to natural causes.
“Necessary Personal Effects” means items such as clothing and toiletry items, which were included in the Insured’s Baggage and are required for the Insured’s Trip.
“Owned or Rented Vehicle” means a self-propelled private passenger motor vehicle with four or more wheels which is of a type both designed and required to be licensed for use on the highways of any state or country that is rented or owned by the Insured. Owned or Rented Vehicle includes, but is not limited to, a sedan, station wagon, jeep-type vehicle pickup, van, camper or motor home type. Owned or Rented Vehicle does not include a mobile home or any motor vehicle which is used in mass or public transit.
“Physician” means a licensed practitioner of the healing arts including accredited Christian Science Practitioners, medical, surgical, or dental, services acting within the scope of his/her license. The treating Physician may not be the Insured, a Traveling Companion, a Family Member, or a Business Partner.
“Primary” means the Insurer will pay first but reserves the right to recover from any other insurance carrier with which the Insured may be enrolled.
“Primary Residence” means a person’s fixed, permanent and principal home for legal and tax purposes.
“Reasonable Additional Expenses” means expenses for meals, lodging, taxi fares, and essential telephone calls which were necessarily incurred as the result of a Trip Delay and which are not provided by the Common Carrier or any other party free of charge.
“Reasonable and Customary Charges” means an expense which:
(1) is charged for treatment, supplies, or medical services Medically Necessary to treat the Insured’s condition;
(2) does not exceed the usual level of charges for similar treatment, supplies or medical services in the locality where the expense is incurred; and
(3) does not include charges that would not have been made if no insurance existed. In no event will the Reasonable and Customary Charges exceed the actual amount charged.
“Return Date” means the date on which the Insured is scheduled to return to the point where the Trip started or to a different specified Return Destination. This date is specified in the travel documents.
“Return Destination” means the place to which the Insured expects to return from his/her Trip.
“Schedule” means the Schedule of Benefits.
“Sickness” means an illness or disease diagnosed or treated by a Physician.
“Strike” means a stoppage of work:
(1) announced, organized, and sanctioned by a labor union and
(2) which interferes with the normal departure and arrival of a Common Carrier.
This includes work slowdowns and sickouts. The Insured’s Trip cancellation coverage must be effective prior to when the Strike is foreseeable. A Strike is foreseeable on the date labor union members vote to approve a Strike.
“Terrorist Incident” means an act of violence, that is deemed terrorism by the United States Government other than civil disorder or riot (that is not an act of war, declared or undeclared) that results in Loss of life or major damage to property, by any person acting on behalf of or in connection with any organization which is generally recognized as having the intent to overthrow or influence the control of any government.
“Transportation” means any land, sea or air conveyance required to transport the Insured during an Emergency Evacuation. Transportation includes, but is not limited to, air ambulances, land ambulances and private motor vehicles.
“Travel Supplier” means the tour operator, rental company, cruise line, and/or airline that provides pre-paid travel arrangements for the Insured’s Trip.
“Traveling Companion” means a person or persons with whom the Insured has coordinated travel arrangements and intends to travel with during the Trip. A group or tour leader is not considered a Traveling Companion, unless the Insured is sharing room accommodations with the group or tour leader.
“Trip” means a period of travel away from home to a Destination outside the Insured’s City of residence; the purpose of the Trip is business or pleasure and is not to obtain health care or treatment of any kind; the Trip has defined Departure and Return dates specified when the Insured applies; the Trip does not exceed 365 days; travel is primarily by Common Carrier and only incidentally by private conveyance.
“Trip Cost” means the dollar amount of Trip payments or deposits reflected on any required enrollment form which are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions paid by the Insured prior to the Insured’s Trip Departure Date. Trip Cost will also include the cost of any subsequent pre-paid payments or deposits paid by the Insured for the same Trip, after enrollment for coverage under this plan provided the Insured amends their enrollment form to add such subsequent payments or deposits and pays any required additional plan cost prior to the Insured’s Departure Date.
“Unforeseen” means not anticipated or expected and occurring after the effective date of the coverage.
(1) the building structure itself is unstable and there is a risk of collapse in whole or in part;
(2) there is exterior or structural damage allowing elemental intrusion, such as rain, wind, hail or flood;
(3) immediate safety hazards have yet to be cleared, such as debris on roofs or downed electrical lines; or
(4) the rental property is without electricity or water.