Many companies offer additional services that differentiate them against their competitors. We have listed some of these services on the providers page under the “why buy” heading.
Many companies offer additional services that differentiate them against their competitors. We have listed some of these services on the providers page under the “why buy” heading.
There are no Additional Benefits with this plan.
“Accident” means a sudden, unexpected and unintended event.
“Appropriate Authority(ies)” means the government authority(ies) in the Covered Person’s Home Country or country of residence or the government authority(ies) of the Host Country.
“Automobile” means a self-propelled, private passenger motor vehicle with four or more wheels that is a type both designed and required to be licensed for use on the highway of any state or country. Automobile includes, but is not limited to, a sedan, station wagon, sport utility vehicle, or a motor vehicle of the pickup, van, camper, or motor-home type. Automobile does not include a mobile home or any motor vehicle that is used in mass or public transit.
“Covered Accident” means an Accident that occurs while coverage is in force for a Covered Person and results in a loss or Injury covered by the Policy for which benefits are payable.
“Covered Expenses” means expenses actually incurred by or on behalf of a Covered Person for treatment, services and supplies covered by the Policy. Coverage under the Policy must remain continuously in force from the date of the Accident or Sickness until the date treatment, services or supplies are received for them to be a Covered Expense. A Covered Expense is deemed to be incurred on the date such treatment, service or supply, that gave rise to the expense or the charge, was rendered or obtained.
“Covered Loss” or “Covered Losses” means an accidental death, dismemberment or other Injury covered under the Policy. “Covered Person” means any Insured and Dependent for whom the required premium is paid.
“Covered Trip” means a period of round-trip travel away from the Covered Person’s Home Country; the trip has defined departure and return dates specified when the Insured enrolls.
“Deductible” means the dollar amount of Covered Expenses that must be incurred as an out of-pocket expense by each Covered Person on a per Policy Term basis before Medical Expense Benefits and/or other Additional Benefits paid on an expense incurred basis are payable under the Policy.
“Dependent” means an Insured’s lawful spouse or Domestic Partner; or an Insured’s unmarried child, from the moment of birth to age 21, who is chiefly dependent on the Insured for support. A child, for eligibility purposes, includes an Insured’s natural child; adopted child, beginning with any waiting period pending finalization of the child’s adoption; or a stepchild who resides with the Insured or depends chiefly on the Insured for financial support. A Dependent may also include any person related to the Insured by blood or marriage and for whom the Insured is allowed a deduction under the Internal Revenue Code. Insurance will continue for any Dependent child who reaches the age limit and continues to meet the following conditions: 1. the child is handicapped, 2. is not capable of self-support and 3. depends chiefly on the Insured for support and maintenance. The Insured must send Us satisfactory proof that the child meets these conditions, when requested. We will not ask for proof more than once a year.
“Designated Security Consultant” means an employee of a security firm under contract with Us or Our assistance provider who is experienced in security and measures necessary to ensure the safety of the Covered Person(s) in his or her care.
“Doctor” means a licensed health care provider acting within the scope of his or her license and rendering care or treatment to a Covered Person that is appropriate for the conditions and locality. It will not include a Covered Person or a member of the Covered Person’s Immediate Family or household.
“Domestic Partner” means a person of the same or opposite sex of the Insured who: 1. shares the Insured’s primary residence; 2.has resided with the Insured for at least 6 months prior to the date of enrollment and is expected to reside with the Insured indefinitely; 3. is financially interdependent with the Insured 4. has signed a Domestic Partner declaration with the Insured, if recognized by the laws of the state in which he or she resides with the Insured; 5. does not have current Domestic Partner declaration with any other person; 6. is older than 18 years of age; 7. is not currently married to another person; and 8. is not in a position as a blood relative that would prohibit marriage.
“Evacuation Advisory” means a formal recommendation issued by the Appropriate Authorities that the Covered Person or citizens of his or her Home Country or Country of Residence or citizens of the Host Country leave the Host Country.
“Family Member” means the spouse, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, sister, fiancé, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew such person being resident in the Home Country (as declared on the application), of the Insured Person, or of the person with whom the Insured Person is travelling or had arranged to travel; Business Partner means a partner who is directly associated with the business and should they pass away or suffer from a critical illness, will result in financial losses for the company.
“Health Care Plan” means a policy or other benefit or service arrangement for medical or dental care or treatment under: 1. group or blanket coverage, whether on an insured or self-funded basis; 2. Hospital or medical service organizations on a group basis; 3. Health Maintenance Organizations on a group basis; 4. group labor-management plans; 5. employee benefit organization plans; 6. association plans on a group or franchise basis; or 7. any other group employee welfare benefit plan as defined in the employee Retirement income Security Act of 1974, as amended.
“Home Country” means a country which the Covered Person has declared to Us in writing as his or her Home Country.
“Hospital” means an institution that: 1. operates as a Hospital pursuant to law for the care, treatment, and providing of in-patient services for sick or injured persons; 2. provides 24-hour nursing service by Registered Nurses on duty or call; 3. has a staff of one or more licensed Doctors available at all times; 4. provides organized facilities for diagnosis, treatment and surgery, either: (i) on its premises; or (ii) in facilities available to it, on a pre-arranged basis; 5. is not primarily a nursing care facility, rest home, convalescent home, or similar establishment, or any separate ward, wing or section of a Hospital used as such; and 6. is not a place solely for drug addicts, alcoholics, or the aged or any separate ward of the Hospital.
“Hospital Confined” means an overnight stay as a registered resident bed-patient in a Hospital.
“Host Country” means any country, other than an OFAC excluded country, in which the Covered Person is traveling while covered under the Policy.
“Injury” means accidental bodily harm sustained by a Covered Person that results directly and independently from all other causes from a Covered Accident. All injuries sustained by one person in any one Accident, including all related conditions and recurrent symptoms of these injuries, are considered a single Injury.
“Insured” means a person in a Class of Eligible Persons for whom the required premium is paid making insurance in effect for that person. A Dependent covered under the Policy is not an Insured, but rather a Covered Person.
“Medical Emergency” means a condition caused by an Injury or Sickness that manifests itself by symptoms of sufficient severity that a prudent lay person possessing an average knowledge of health and medicine would reasonably expect that failure to receive immediate medical attention would place the health of the person in serious jeopardy.
“Medically Necessary” means a treatment, service or supply that is: 1. required to treat an Injury or Sickness; prescribed or ordered by a Doctor or furnished by a Hospital; 2. performed in the least costly setting required by the Covered Person’s condition; and 3. consistent with the medical and surgical practices prevailing in the area for treatment of the condition at the time rendered. Purchasing or renting 1. air conditioners; 2. air purifiers; 3. motorized transportation equipment; 4. escalators or elevators in private homes; 5. eye glass frames or lenses; 6. hearing aids; 7. swimming pools or supplies for them; and 8. general exercise equipment are not considered Medically Necessary. A service or supply may not be Medically Necessary if a less intensive or more appropriate diagnostic or treatment alternative could have been used. We may, at Our discretion, consider the cost of the alternative to be the Covered Expense.
“Missing Bag Report” means a formal report of loss as filed with the common carrier commonly known as a PIR (Passenger Irregularity Report) or PAWOB (Passenger arriving without baggage). This must include the 6 digit “CLAIM NUMBER” or the “World Tracer Record Number” as provided by the carrier.
“Missing Person” means a Covered Person who disappeared for an unknown reason and whose disappearance was reported to the Appropriate Authority(ies).
“Natural Disaster” means storm (wind, rain, snow, sleet, hail, lightning, dust or sand) earthquake, flood, volcanic eruption, wildfire or other similar event that: 1. is due to natural causes; and 2. results in such severe and widespread damage that the area of damage is officially declared a disaster area by the government in which the Covered Person’s Trip occurs and the area is deemed to be uninhabitable or dangerous.
“Nearest Place of Safety” means a location determined by the Designated Security Consultant where: 1. the Covered Person can be resumed safe from the Occurrence that precipitated the Covered Person’s Political Evacuation; and the Covered Person has access to Transportation; and 2. the Covered Person has the availability of temporary lodging, if needed.
“Necessities” means personal hygiene items and clothing.
“Occurrence” means any of the following situations involving a Covered Person: 1. expulsion from a Host Country or being declared persona non-grata on the written authority of the recognized government if a Host Country; 2. political or military events involving a Host Country, if the Appropriate Authorities issue an Advisory stating that citizens of the Covered Person’s Home Country or Country of Residence or citizens of the Host Country should leave the Host Country; 3. deliberate physical harm of the Covered Person confirmed by documentation or physical evidence or a threat against the Covered Person’s health and safety as confirmed by documentation and/or physical evidence; 4. Natural Disaster in the area you are traveling to and occurring after your effective date; 5. the Covered Person had been deemed kidnapped or a Missing Person by local or international authorities and, when found, his or her safety and/or well-being are in question within seven days of his or her being found.
“Political Evacuation” means the extrication of a Covered Person from the Host Country due to an Occurrence which could result in grave physical harm or death to the Covered Person.
“Pre-Existing Condition” means 1) a condition, regardless of the cause of the condition, for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the 24 month period before the Covered Person’s coverage became effective under the Policy; 2) conditions for which the Insured Person is aware of any medical condition or set of circumstances, which could reasonably be expected to give rise to a claim; 3) or any person, including those who are not travelling, whose condition may give rise to an claim; 4) or is receiving or, is on a waiting list for or has the knowledge of the need for inpatient treatment at a hospital or nursing home; 5) or has been given a terminal prognosis. The term does not include genetic information in the absence of a diagnosis of the condition related to such information.
“Related Costs” means food, lodging and, if necessary, physical protection for the Covered Person during the Transport to the Nearest Place of Safety.
“Sickness” means an illness, disease or condition of the Covered Person that causes a loss for which a Covered Person incurs medical expenses while covered under the Policy. All related conditions and recurrent symptoms of the same or similar condition will be considered one Sickness.
“Supplemental Restraint System” means an airbag that inflates upon impact for added protection to the head and chest areas. services
“Transport” or “Transportation” means the most efficient and available method of conveyance. Where practical, economy fare will be utilized. If possible, the Covered Person’s common carrier tickets will be used.
“Traveling Companion” means a person or persons with whom you have coordinated travel arrangements, shares the same accommodations as You and intend to travel with during the Trip.
“Trip” means travel by air, land, or sea from the Covered Person’s Home Country.
“Unexpected Recurrence of a Pre-Existing Condition” means a sudden and unexpected recurrence of a Pre-existing Condition while outside the Covered Person’s Home Country and does not include coverage for known, scheduled, required, or expected medical care, drugs or treatments existent or necessary prior to the Effective Date of coverage.
“Usual and Customary Charge” means the average amount charged by most providers for treatment, service or supplies in the geographic area where the treatment, service or supply is provided.
“Valuables/Electronics” means cellular phones, satellite phones, photographic equipment, tablet PC’s, computers, iPods, CD players and personal music and stereo equipment, CD’s, computers, computer games and associated equipment, hearing aids, telescopes and binoculars, antiques, jewelry, watches, furs, and articles made of or containing gold, silver or other precious metals or animal skins or hides. Any item of value to be evaluated on a case by case basis.
“We”, “Our”, “Us” means Lloyd’s of London or its authorized agent.
We will not pay benefits for any Accidental Death and Dismemberment or Paralysis loss or Injury that is caused by, or results from:
1. intentionally self-inflicted Injury.
2. suicide or attempted suicide.
3. war or any act of war, whether declared or not (except as provided by the Policy).
4. service in the military, naval or air service of any country.
5. disease or bacterial infection except for any bacterial infection resulting from an accidental external cut or wound or accidental ingestion of contaminated food.
6. hernia of any kind.
7. piloting or serving as a crewmember or riding in any aircraft except as a passenger on a regularly scheduled or charter airline.
8. commission of, or attempt to commit, a felony.
9. Injury or Sickness that occurs while the Covered Person has been determined to be legally intoxicated as determined according to the laws of the jurisdiction in which the Injury or Sickness occurred, or under the influence of any narcotic, barbiturate, or hallucinatory drug, unless administered by a Doctor and taken in accordance with the prescribed dosage.
10. flying in any aircraft being used for or in connection with acrobatic or stunt flying, racing or endurance tests; flying in any rocket propelled aircraft; flying in any aircraft being used for or in connection with crop dusting, or seeding or spraying, firefighting, exploration, pipe or power line inspection, any form of hunting bird or fowl herding, aerial photography, banner towing or any test or experimental purpose; flying any aircraft which is engaged in flight which requires a special permit or waiver from the authority having jurisdiction over civil aviation, even if granted.
11. specific named hazards: Abseiling, Aviation (except when traveling as a passenger in a commercial aircraft), BASE Jumping, Bobsleigh, BMX, Bungee Jumping, Canopying, Canyoning, Caving, Extreme sports, High Diving, Hang Gliding, Heli-skiing, Hot Air Ballooning, Inline Skating, Jet Skiing, Kayaking, Luge, Motocross, Motorcycling, Moto-X, Mountaineering, Mountain Biking, Mountain Climbing, Paragliding, Parasailing, Parascending, Piloting any Aircraft, Racing of any kind, Rock Climbing, Rodeo Activities, Rappelling, Scuba Diving, , Ski Jumping, Skydiving Snow Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Spelunking, Surfing, Trekking, Water Skiing, Wind Surfing, White Water Rafting, Zip Lining, Zorbing.
12. All professional, semi-professional, amateur, club, intramural, interscholastic or intercollegiate sports.
In addition to the exclusions above, We will not pay Medical Expense Benefits for any loss, treatment or services resulting from or contributed to by:
1. Pre-Existing Conditions, as defined.
2. services, supplies or treatment, including any period of Hospital confinement, which were not recommended, approved and certified as necessary and reasonable by a Physician.
3. suicide or any attempt thereat while sane or self-destruction or any attempt thereat while insane.
4. declared or undeclared war or any act thereof.
5. Injury sustained while participating in a professional, semi-professional, amateur, club, intramural, interscholastic or intercollegiate sport (except as provided by the Policy).
6. Sickness resulting from pregnancy (except as provided by the Policy).
7. Miscarriage resulting from Accident (except as provided by the Policy).
8. Immunizations, routine physical or other examinations where there are no objective indications or impairment in normal health, or laboratory diagnostic or x-ray examinations except in the course of a disability established by the prior call or attendance of a Physician.
9. cosmetic or plastic surgery, except as the result of an accident.
10. elective surgery which can be postponed until the Covered Person returns to his or her Home Country.
11. any mental or nervous disorders or rest cures (except as provided by the Policy).
12. any dental treatment (except as provided by the Policy).
13. eye refractions or eye examinations for the purpose of prescribing corrective lenses for eye glasses or for the fitting thereof, unless caused by accidental bodily Injury incurred while covered under the Policy.
14. congenital anomalies and conditions arising out of or resulting therefrom.
15. services, supplies, or treatment including any period of Hospital confinement which were not recommended, approved and certified as necessary and reasonable by a Doctor; or expenses which are non-medical in nature.
16. the ordinary cost of a one-way airplane ticket used in the transportation back to the Covered Person’s country where an air ambulance benefit is provided.
17. expenses as a result of or in connection with intentionally self-inflicted Injury.
18. specific named hazards: Abseiling, Aviation (except when traveling as a passenger in a commercial aircraft), BASE Jumping, Bobsleigh, BMX, Bungee Jumping, Canopying, Canyoning, Caving, Extreme sports, High Diving, Hang Gliding, Heli-skiing, Hot Air Ballooning, Inline Skating, Jet Skiing, Kayaking, Luge, Motocross, Motorcycling, Moto-X, Mountaineering, Mountain Biking, Mountain Climbing, Paragliding, Parasailing, Parascending, Piloting any Aircraft, Racing of any kind, Rock Climbing, Rodeo Activities, Rappelling, Scuba Diving, Ski Jumping, Skydiving, Snow Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowmobiling, Spelunking, Surfing, Trekking, Water Skiing, Wind Surfing, White Water, Rafting, Zip Lining, Zorbing.
19. treatment paid for or furnished under any other individual or group policy, or other service or medical pre payment plan arranged through an employer to the extent so furnished or paid, or under any mandatory government program or facility set up for treatment without cost to any individual.
20. childbirth, miscarriage, birth control, artificial insemination, treatment for fertility or impotency, sterilization or reversal thereof or abortion.
21. organ transplants, marrow procedures and chemotherapy.
22. sexually transmitted diseases or immune deficiency disorders and related conditions.
23. any treatment, service or supply not specifically covered by the Policy.
24. treatment by any Family Member or member of the Covered Person’s household.
25. treatment of hernia, Osgood-Schlatter’s Disease, osteochondritis, appendicitis, osteomyelitis, cardiac disease or conditions, pathological fractures, congenital weakness whether or not caused by a Covered Accident.
26. expense incurred for treatment of temporomandibular or craniomandibular joint dysfunction and associated myofacial pain.
27. any elective treatment, surgery, health treatment, or examination including any service, treatment or supplies that: (a) are deemed by Us to be experimental; and (b) are not recognized and generally accepted medical practices in the United States.
28. contact lenses, hearing aids, wheelchairs, braces, appliances, examinations or prescriptions for them, or repair or replacement of existing artificial limbs, orthopedic braces, orthotic devices, artificial eyes and larynx.
29. treatment or service provided by a private duty nurse or while confined primarily to receive custodial care, educational or rehabilitative care or nursing care.
30. covered medical expenses for which the Covered Person would not be responsible for in the absence of the Policy.
31. conditions that are not caused by a Covered Accident.
32. vocational, recreational, speech or music therapy.
33. traveling against the advice of a Physician, traveling while on a waiting list for inpatient Hospital or clinic treatment, or traveling for the purpose of obtaining medical treatment abroad.
34. any potential fatal condition which was diagnosed before the date your coverage became effective or any condition for which You are traveling to seek treatment.
35. Expenses incurred in your Home Country.
We will not pay Political Evacuation Expense Benefits for expenses and fees:
1. payable under any other provision of the Policy.
2. that are recoverable through the Covered Person’s employer.
3. arising from or attributable to an actual fraudulent, dishonest or criminal act committed or attempted by the Covered Person, acting alone or in collusion with other persons.
4. arising from or attributable to an alleged:
a) violation of the laws of country in which the Covered Person is traveling while covered under the Policy; or
b) violation of the laws of the Covered Person’s Home County or country of residence.
5. due to the Covered Person’s failure to maintain and possess duly authorized and issued required travel documents and visas.
6. for repatriation of remains expenses.
7. for common or endemic or epidemic diseases or global pandemic disease as defined by the World Health Organization.
8. for medical services.
9. for monies payable in the form of a ransom, if a Missing Person case evolves into a kidnapping.
10. arising from or attributable, in whole or in part, to:
a) a debt, insolvency, commercial failure, the repossession of any property by any title holder or lien holder or any other financial cause;
b) non-compliance by the Covered Person with regard to any obligation specified in a contract or license.
11. due to military or political issues if the Covered Person’s Security Evacuation request is made more than 30 days after the Appropriate Authority(ies) Advisory was issued.