100% of the trip cost
Trip Interruption provides reimbursement for prepaid and non-refundable trip payments if a portion of a trip is missed, or the traveler must return home early due to unforeseen circumstances, including illness, injury, or death.
You have benefits in the amount purchased* for unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for travel arrangements, whenever you are prevented from taking a trip for any of the following reasons that occur after the effective date of your protection plan:
1. Specified sickness, injury or death of You, Your traveling companion, business partner or family member of either You or Your traveling companion that results in medically imposed restrictions as certified by a legally qualified physician at the time of loss, preventing your continued participation in the trip.
2. Strike that causes complete cessation of services of your common carrier for at least 48 consecutive hours.
3. Weather that causes complete cessation of services of your common carrier for at least 48 consecutive hours.
4. Employer termination or layoff affecting You or a person sharing the same room. Employment must have been with the same employer for at least three continuous years.
5. Terrorism. The Terrorist Incident must occur in a city listed on Your itinerary within 30 days prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date. This same city must not have experienced a Terrorist Incident within the 90 days prior to the Terrorist Incident, which is causing Your cancellation. Benefits are not provided if Your Travel Supplier offers a substitute itinerary.
6. Hijack, quarantine, jury duty or court ordered appearance as a witness in a legal action in which You or Your traveling companion are not a party (except law enforcement officers).
7. Primary residence of You or Your traveling companion is rendered uninhabitable due to unforeseen circumstances.
8. Burglary of You or Your traveling companion’s primary residence within 10 days of departure or during your trip.
9. Felonious assault of You or Your traveling companion within 10 days of departure or during your trip.
10. You or Your traveling companion are called to emergency military duty for a national disaster other than war.
11. Traffic accident directly involving either You or Your traveling companion, substantiated by a police report, while in route to a scheduled departure point.
12. If your travel supplier cancels your trip, you will receive up to US$ 75 for the reissue fee charged by the airline for your tickets. You must cover the full cost of the trip.
*Please note that the full cost of the trip must be declared and informed in the purchase form, up to a maximum of US$ 20,000 per person. Otherwise, in case of a Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption claim, benefit will be settled proportionally to the declared trip cost amount (pro-rata). If Airline tickets are paid with award miles, the cost of issuing the ticket and taxes paid must be included in the full declared cost of the trip.
All cancellations events must be reported to the Travel Supplier and to our Claims Administrator within 72 hours of the event causing the need to cancel. If the event delays the reporting of the cancellation beyond the 72 hours, report the event as soon as possible. All other delays of reporting beyond 72 hours will result in reduced benefit payments.
If You are prevented from completing a Trip for any of the reasons listed under the Trip Cancellation section above that occurs after Your Protection Plan Effective Date and after the departure date of the Trip, You are eligible up to the benefit amount purchased under Trip Cancellation* for:
1. Any unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for Travel Arrangements;
2. Return air: One way Economy Transportation to return to Your original destination or rejoin Your Trip less the value of the original unused return travel ticket;
3. Accommodations and transportation expenses for up to US$ 150 per day for 10 additional days when a Traveling Companion must remain hospitalized or an Injury or Sickness not requiring hospitalization prevents You from continuing travel and You must extend Your Trip with additional hotel nights due to medically imposed restrictions on a Traveling Companion as certified by a Legally Qualified Physician.
4. Single supplement upgrade – You are eligible for benefits when Your Traveling Companion cancels or interrupts a trip for a specified reason and You do not.
*In case you have purchased a PD / Post Departure plan (not including “Trip Cancellation” benefit), “Trip Interruption” benefit will be limited to the unused non- refundable prepaid cost of a one way Economy Transportation to return to Your original destination or rejoin Your Trip less the value of the original unused return travel ticket, up to US$ 1,500 per person, US$ 5,000 maximum limit.