Rental Car Damage provides reimbursement for damage to, or theft of, a rental vehicle during a covered trip.
Rental Car Damage and Theft
If you purchase this optional upgrade, the following Benefit is added to Your Policy, with a Maximum Benefit Limit shown in Your Schedule of Benefits:
If You rent a Rental Car while on Your Trip, and while in Your possession, the vehicle is: (1) damaged due to collision, theft, vandalism, windstorm, fire, hail, flood or any cause not in Your control; or (2) stolen and not recovered, We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits, for the lesser of:
1. the reasonable and necessary cost of repairs and rental charges imposed by the rental company while the car is being repaired;
2. the Actual Cash Value of the Rental Car; or
3. the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Schedule of Benefits.
You must be licensed to operate the vehicle and listed on the rental contract for benefits to be payable. We will not provide benefits for any loss or damage caused by or arising from:
1. obligation of You, a Traveling Companion or a Family Member traveling with You, assumed under any agreement (except insurance collision deductible);
2. rentals of moving trucks, cargo trucks, campers, trailers, motor bikes, motorcycles, off road vehicles, or any Exotic Vehicles;
3. any loss that occurs if You or anyone traveling with You are in violation of the rental agreement or misuse the vehicle;
4. failure to report the loss to the proper local authorities and/or the rental company;
5. damage to any other vehicle, structure or person as a result of a covered loss;
6. any loss as the result of or attributed to operating the Rental Car: (1) while under the influence of alcohol or any illegal substance, or the abuse of a legal substance; (2) while using any medication that recommends abstinence from driving; (3) in a speed competition; (4) for compensation for hire; or (5) for illegal trade purposes or transporting contraband;
7. any loss as the result of physical damage or loss attributed to: (1) mechanical failure or breakdown of the Rental Car; (2) wear and tear, gradual deterioration, corrosion, rust or freezing; (3) any negligence or abuse of the Rental Car; (4) any dishonest act or conversion; (5) any consequence of war (declared or otherwise); or (6) contamination by a radioactive material.