You may be covered to cancel your trip if a hurricane seriously impacts your travel.
However, travel insurance will not cover you to cancel simply because a storm might be heading toward your destination. Trip Cancellation coverage is triggered by specific events, which vary by policy.
Covered events may include:
- Your flight or cruise is delayed at least 12-48 hours
- Your hotel or other accommodations are rendered uninhabitable
- A hurricane warning is in effect for your destination within 24-48 hours of your scheduled departure date – offered by some policies, typically only covered if you buy your policy at least 14 days before your trip
Travelers who want to be covered to cancel their trip due to the possibility of a hurricane, even they do not meet the requirements for coverage, can only do so with the “Cancel for Any Reason” upgrade, which can increase the cost of a policy by about 40-50%. The upgrade comes with some stipulations:
- It is only available within 14-30 days of your first trip booking
- You must insure 100% of your trip cost, and it will typically only reimburse up to 75%
- You must cancel at least 2-3 days before your departure date
This information is time sensitive and may vary by policy. If you have questions about a specific policy, please contact us directly at 800-240-0369. Our customer service representatives are available from 8am to 10pm ET, seven days a week, and are delighted to help.
Notes to editors
About Squaremouth: Squaremouth.com has insured over 3 million travelers. Using Squaremouth’s intuitive quoting and comparison engine, award-winning support team, and verified customer reviews, travelers can save time and money to find the best travel insurance policy for their trip.