ST. PETERSBURG Fla. January 17, 2018 — Major storms, natural disasters, and terrorist attacks are increasing traveler concern. Based on data from customer purchases, leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, reveals the 4 biggest traveler behavior trends expected in 2018.
Squaremouth’s 2018 Travel Predictions
Prediction: Natural Disasters Will Become Travelers’ Top Concern
- In 2017, 47% more travelers bought travel insurance specifically to be refunded if weather or a natural disaster ruins their trip
- Squaremouth predicts the fear of natural disasters will overtake terrorism as the top cancellation concern this year
- The number of purchases with this coverage has increased each of the past 5 years
Prediction: U.S. Travelers Will Choose to Stay Closer to Home
With international unrest following terrorist attacks in popular destinations, such as the United Kingdom and France, U.S. residents prefer travel within North America.
- Squaremouth predicts the United States, Mexico, and Canada will be 3 of the 4 most popular destinations for U.S. travelers in 2018
- Italy has remained the third most popular destination since 2012
Prediction: Travelers Will Spend a Record High on Trips
Trip Cancellation is one of the main reasons travelers buy travel insurance, to protect themselves from losing money if they have to cancel a trip.
- Squaremouth predicts the average trip cost will surpass $6,000 in 2018 for the first time
- The average cost of a trip insured on squaremouth.com has increased every year since 2012, peaking at $5,854 in 2017
Prediction: Senior Travelers Will Outspend Millennials
Baby boomers and travelers over the age of 65 continue to spend more than twice as much on trips as younger travelers.
- Squaremouth predicts travelers between 65 and 79 will, once again, spend the most on their trips, with an average cost per traveler of $3,000
- Those travelers spent 2.5 times as much per trip as millennials, who spent $1,190 per traveler
Notes to editors
Available Topic Expert: Steven Benna, inhouse data specialist is available for comment and interview. firstname.lastname@example.org (727) 619-7262
About Squaremouth: Squaremouth compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth's comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare travel insurance policies side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.