Question from Cruise Critic’s Forum
Finally reading the fine print re: Trip Interruption
I need to purchase travel insurance for our upcoming April cruise. I don’t need Cancellation insurance (reason: after not buying any insurance for 10+ cruises, I figure I saved some $$ and am self-insured against cancellation…).
Which brings me to Trip Interruption. I had thought it would cover me for any unforeseen circumstance that interrupts my trip (flat tire on the way to the airport = missed flight; bad weather or mechanical delay diverting/cancelling my flight = missed cruise, Captain pulls a Sail-By stunt = sunken cruise ship, etc.). But in reading the fine print on several policies, it seems like it only covers for disaster-type of Trip Interruptions (“unable to continue the trip due to the death of an Immediate Family member … or due to serious damage to Your principal residence from fire, flood or similar natural disaster…”).
Are all the policies like this? Am I missing something? Is there a reasonably-priced policy that covers some of the potential Trip Interruptions I mention (short of death & natural disaster)?
I normally buy a policy from SquareMouth (or InsureMyTrip). Can any of you experts advise me, and possibly name a policy that I should look at more closely?
Thanks cruisers! – Mary Ellen
You may want to look at policies from Travelex. They offer a benefit called All Events Upgrade in their Travel Plus and Travel Lite policies. In the event you are not able to take or continue your trip due to an unforeseen circumstance out of your control, the policy will reimburse you up to 95% of your trip cost.
This is different from Cancel for Any Reason because Cancel for Any Reason allows you to cancel the trip without explaining why. All Events Upgrade requires you to provide an unforeseen reason that is out of your control in order to cancel or interrupt your trip.
I’m not sure when you paid your deposit on the trip, but you would need to perchance the travel insurance within 21 day of the deposit to qualify for the All Events Upgrade.
Here is the definition of coverage from Travelex’s Travel Lite policy available on Squaremouth.
OPTIONAL TRIP CANCELLATION /TRIP INTERRUPTION ALL EVENTS UPGRADE
If You or Your Traveling Companion are prevented from taking or completing Your Covered Trip for any reason:
1) that occurs after the Effective Date of the Policy and this upgrade; and
2) not otherwise covered under the Policy. We will reimburse You up to 95% of the Maximum Benefit Amount for Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption.
Coverage is subject to the “Exclusions Applicable to the Optional All Events Upgrade” below. Coverage under the Policy and this upgrade must have been purchased within 21 days of the initial Covered Trip payment. Coverage under this provision provides reimbursement for the following expenses:
1) 95% of any unused non-refundable prepaid expenses for travel arrangements;
2) 95% of any Published Penalties You incur as a result of a trip cancellation;
3) 95% one way Economy Transportation to return to the Point of Origin or to continue on Your Covered Trip when an interruption in Your Covered Trip occurs; or
4) 95% of any additional reasonable expenses incurred for an unplanned overnight stay resulting from an interruption in Your Covered Trip.
For this upgrade, the “Exclusions Applicable to the Optional All Events Upgrade” replaces the “General Exclusions and Limitations”. All other Policy provisions apply unless specifically amended.
EXCLUSIONS APPLICABLE TO THE OPTIONAL ALL EVENTS UPGRADE
coverage is provided for any loss caused by or resulting from:
1) any event that would reasonably be expected to interfere with travel plans at the time this coverage was purchased;
2) cancellation or interruption of Your Covered Trip for any discretionary reason including fear of travel or loss of enjoyment;
3) Your or Your Traveling Companion’s participation in a felony, riot or insurrection; or
4) a governmental regulation or prohibition.