Many travelers who buy travel insurance are interested in Trip Cancellation to protect their trip investment if they must cancel. If they cancel for a reason listed in their policy, they can be refunded 100% of their prepaid and non-refundable trip payments. However, if a traveler cancels for a reason that is not listed as a covered reason, they will not be refunded.
Unfortunately, for travelers with pets, the Trip Cancellation benefit does not provide reimbursement to cancel your trip due to the death of a pet. However, some policies can cover your for an illness, injury, or death of your service animal.
How Can I Get Cancellation Coverage for a Pet?
The only way to be covered by travel insurance for the death of a pet is with the Cancel For Any Reason benefit. This optional upgrade can be added to some policies for 14-21 days after you make your first trip booking.
Under the Cancel For Any Reason, you can be reimbursed for 75% of your prepaid and non-refundable trip expenses if you cancel for a reason not otherwise covered by your policy, such as the death of a pet. However, this benefit is time-sensitive. In order for coverage to be available under this benefit, you must:
- Purchase your policy within 14-21 days of making your first trip booking
- Insure 100% of your prepaid and non-refundable trip expenses
- Cancel your trip in its entirety at least 2-3 days before your scheduled departure date
What Does Trip Cancellation Cover?
Although a pet’s death is not covered by standard Trip Cancellation policies, many top concerns of most travelers can be. Some of these covered reasons include:
- An illness, injury, or death of you, your traveling companion, or your family member
- A hurricane, natural disaster, or other severe weather preventing you from traveling
- A terrorist attack at your destination
- A strike of a common carrier preventing you from travel
- An involuntary termination of employment