Finding the best travel insurance policy for an upcoming trip can be an overwhelming task. With hundreds of plans to choose from, many with similar coverage options, today’s travelers have more trip protection options than ever before.
At Squaremouth, our goal is to help travelers find the best policy at the lowest possible price. To get you started, we’ve broken down the most important steps travelers should take when purchasing travel insurance.
Step 1: Assess Your Needs
The first, and most important, step to finding the best policy on Squaremouth is to first identify what the ideal travel insurance plan looks like. To do this, you’ll have to consider your trip’s itinerary as well as the types of protection you’ll need along the way.
Start by considering the following:
- Trip Costs: The cost of travel is rising, and travelers are spending more on their vacations than ever before. If you get sick or injured leading up to your trip and can no longer travel, a comprehensive travel insurance policy with Trip Cancellation coverage can offer financial protection and reimburse any nonrefundable trip costs.
- Medical Coverage: Whether you’re planning a trip full of adventure or relaxation, a policy with Emergency Medical and Medical Evacuation coverage can save you thousands of dollars in the event you get injured or ill during your trip. Such benefits can cover the costs of hospital bills, ambulance rides, x-rays, and other emergency services.
- Travel Delays: If you’re taking multiple flights to reach your final destination, or have activities planned the first day of your trip, it’s important to get a policy with Travel Delay and Missed Connection coverage. Such a policy may cover food and accommodation expenses in the event of a delay, as well as reimbursement for unused trip costs and any missed connecting flights.
- Packing List: When traveling, especially with connecting flights, there’s always a risk that your bags might not make it to your final destination at the same time as you. To protect your luggage and the contents inside, consider a policy with generous Baggage Delay and Personal Item Loss coverage. These benefits are also helpful for adventure travelers taking essential gear with them.
- Destination: Some countries, albeit a small list, have specific travel insurance requirements that you’ll need to adhere to upon entry. Be sure to look up the entry requirements of your destination before looking for a policy. Our destination center is constantly updated and is a great place to start.
Step 2: Start a Quote
When you’re ready to begin your search, you’ll be asked to provide some basic details about your upcoming trip. Information such as destination, trip length, traveler age, and trip costs help us provide a list of relevant policies and premiums.
If you don’t know your exact trip details or still need to make further arrangements, don’t panic. Most policies will allow you to amend these details as your departure date approaches.
It’s strongly recommended to start your search for a policy as soon as you make an initial trip payment, such as booking a flight or reserving a hotel stay. Doing so will make you eligible for time-sensitive benefits like Cancel for Any Reason and Pre-Existing Condition coverage.
Step 3: Analyze Your Results
This step may be the most daunting of all. Once you submit your trip details, you’ll be taken to a long list of policies that meet your trip needs. On Squaremouth, you can find more than 100 different policies, consisting of single trip, annual, and group travel insurance plans. The number of policies available will depend largely on the information you entered.
Since we don’t want our users to overpay for a travel insurance policy, we recommend sorting from lowest to highest premium. However, users may also sort by popularity, provider, customer ratings, and more.
Custom Search Filters
Filters are a great way to further narrow search results and weed out any policies that don’t quite fit what you’re looking for. Using Squaremouth’s filters, you can view policies that meet the coverage you need. Any policy that doesn’t meet the criteria entered into these filters will be removed from the search.
Along with the premium, you’ll be shown a quick snapshot of each policy in the search results. This will include relevant information about the provider and policy details. To investigate further, travelers should always read the full documentation of the policies they are considering.
Lastly, travelers should compare policies more in-depth. If there are multiple plans you’re considering, you can compare policies side-by-side for a complete breakdown of each benefit included within the policies you are considering.
Step 4: Choose & Purchase Your Policy
Once you’ve compared policies and reviewed their details, you’re now in a good place to make an informed decision.
Once your policy has been purchased, you will receive immediate confirmation on-screen and by email. Your provider will also send you a confirmation email shortly after purchase with important information, such as their Emergency Assistance phone number and claims details. Although you are not required to have these when you travel, it’s recommended that you keep these documents handy in the event you need to contact your provider for any reason before, during, or after your trip.
Money Back Guarantee
If you’re having second thoughts about the policy you purchased or no longer want coverage for your trip, you may be eligible for a refund through your policy’s Money Back Guarantee.
A Money Back Guarantee is a “free-look” period when a traveler can decide if the policy they purchased is right for them. If not, you have10 or 14 days after you purchase – or up until the day before you depart, whichever comes sooner – to cancel for a full refund, depending on the policy.