On January 10, 2018, the United States Department of State announced a new system for issuing travel advisories for U.S. travelers.
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017, a driver drove a truck onto a busy bicycle path in New York City, killing at least 8 and injuring multiple others. The mayor of New York City called the incident an "act of terror". On October 31, U.S. Department of State declared the attack an act terrorism.
Squaremouth’s Terrorism Travel Insurance Information Center is a regularly-updated resource on coverage for terrorist attacks that may impact travelers. Visit an event-specific information center to view official provider position statements and learn more about coverage for that event.
Trending Fact Sheets and Press Releases
- 3 Types of Travelers Not Covered by Travel Insurance After NYC Terrorist AttacksRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL December 14, 2017— In the wake of two recent terrorist attacks in New York City, travelers may be hesitant to visit the popular holiday destination. Travel insurance expert, Squaremouth, explains why even the most prepared travelers may not be covered to cancel their upcoming trips to New York City.
- How Travel Insurance Terrorism Coverage Can Help NYC-Bound Tourists This Holiday Season, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST PETERSBURG FL, November 15, 2017 — Many travelers going to New York are on edge this holiday season because of last month’s terrorist attack. Travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, explains how travel insurance can and can’t help travelers who are worried about terrorism.
- How Travel Insurance Can Cover You After the NYC Terrorist Attack, Explained by SquaremouthRead More
ST PETERSBURG FL November 1, 2017 –– New York City is the most recent tourist destination targeted by a terrorist attack, after a man drove a truck down a crowded bicycle path, killing 8 people and injuring many others.
- 7 Travel Insurance Questions Answered After the Las Vegas ShootingRead More
ST PETERSBURG, FL October 6, 2017–– After the mass shooting in Las Vegas, the McCarran International Airport halted travel, leaving many travelers with delayed or diverted flights. Travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, answers questions about what travel insurance can cover.
- Barcelona Van Attack: Terrorism Travel Insurance Can Cover TravelersRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL August 17, 2017 — Barcelona’s historic Las Ramblas district is the most recent popular European destination to be targeted by terrorists, after a van drove through the crowded tourist area on Thursday, August 17, 2017.
- The Travel Insurance Terrorism Coverage You Didn’t Know You Had, Explained by SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL June 16, 2017 — After several terrorist attacks in popular tourist destinations, demand for terrorism coverage in travel insurance policies is at an all-time high. Many travelers want a policy to cancel their trip if an attack occurs before they leave. But what if an attack occurs after they arrive?
- Manchester Bombing: What a “Severe” Terrorism Threat Level Means for Travel InsuranceRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL May 30, 2017 — After a terrorist bombing at the Manchester Arena on May 22, the United Kingdom’s threat level for terrorism remains “severe”. Ahead of the summer travel season, travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, explains the impact of the “severe” designation for travelers visiting Europe.
- Manchester Concert Bombing: Travel Insurance Coverage for Terrorism ExplainedRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL May 23, 2017 — Monday’s bombing at the Manchester Arena in the United Kingdom killed more than 20 people and injured at least 50 others. The attack comes less than one month after the U.S. Department of State issued a travel alert for Europe due to the continued threat of terrorism.
- See all 25 articles
- Europe Travel Alert: No Travel Insurance Coverage Until a Terrorist Attack Occurs, says SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL May 4, 2017 — On Monday, May 1, 2017, the U.S. Department of State issued a travel alert for Europe due to the continued threat of terrorism. It comes at a time when traveler interest in terrorism coverage is at an all-time high, according to leading travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth.
- This Travel Insurance Stipulation May Nullify Your Policy’s Terrorism Coverage, Warns SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL April 28, 2017 — Most travel insurance policies with the Trip Cancellation benefit include Terrorism coverage. However, travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, says there is one stipulation that may prevent coverage for a future attack.
- Paris’ Champs-Elysees Shooting: Travel Insurance Coverage Pending Terrorism Declaration, says SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL April 20, 2017 — On Thursday, April 20, 2017, a shooting in Paris’ famous Champs-Elysees district left one officer killed and two others injured. This is the most recent occurrence of suspected-terrorist attacks in popular European destinations.
- St. Petersburg, Russia Metro Explosion: Squaremouth Explains Travel Insurance Coverage for Concerned TravelersRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL April 3, 2017 — On Monday, April 3, 2017, an explosion on a metro train in St. Petersburg, Russia killed multiple people and injured many others, temporarily shutting down the city's underground transportation system. Travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, explains travel insurance coverage for affected travelers.
- London Parliament Attack: Squaremouth Explains Travel Insurance Coverage Based on What We Know NowRead More
ST. PETERSBURG FL, March 22, 2017 — On Wednesday, March 22, 2017, a man drove into a crowd and stabbed an armed officer outside the London Houses of Parliament. Travel insurance comparison site, Squaremouth, explains travel insurance coverage for concerned travelers.
- Berlin Christmas Market Attack: 4 Answers for Travelers From SquaremouthRead More
ST PETERSBURG, FL December 20, 2016 — Following the Dec. 19 truck attack at a Christmas market in Berlin, Germany, Squaremouth established a travel insurance information center to answer questions about coverage for the attack.
- Europe Travel Alert: Not a Reason to Cancel Your TripRead More
The U.S. Department of State issued a new Europe Travel Alert, citing increased risk of terrorism throughout Europe during the holiday season. Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison site, answers traveler questions about coverage related to the travel alert for European countries.
- Nice Attack: Key Travel Insurance Information From SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL July 15, 2016 — The recent attack in Nice, France has raised concerns once again about safe travel to Europe. Squaremouth established the Nice Attack and Travel Insurance Information Center to answer travelers’ questions about coverage related to the July 14 attack at a Bastille Day celebration in Southern France.
- Istanbul Airport Attack: What You Need to Know About Travel Insurance, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL June 29, 2016 — Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison site, launched the Istanbul Airport Terrorist Attack and Travel Insurance Information Center to answer travelers’ questions about coverage for the June 28 attack at Istanbul’s Atatürk airport.
- Europe Travel Alert: Top Travel Insurance Questions AnsweredRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL March 24, 2016 — The recent terrorist attacks in Brussels have led to a Europe Travel Alert issued by the U.S. Department of State. Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison site, answers the most commonly asked questions about travel insurance coverage related to the travel alert for European countries, which account for three of the five most popular international destinations for its customers.
- Brussels Terrorist Attacks: Travel Insurance Fact SheetRead More
ST PETERSBURG, FL March 22, 2016 -- A series of terrorist attacks in Brussels, Belgium has shut down transportation and led to a wave of questions and concerns from travelers with plans to visit Europe. Travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth explains what travelers need to know now about coverage related to these terrorist attacks.
- Istanbul Terrorist Bombing Travel Insurance Fact SheetRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL March 21, 2016 — Following the March 19 suicide bombing in Istanbul, travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth explains travel insurance coverage related to the terrorist event.
- Travel After the Istanbul Bombing: Squaremouth Answers Travel Insurance QuestionsRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL January 12, 2016 — The terrorist bombing of a tourist area in Istanbul may cause concerns among travelers with upcoming trips to the destination. Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance website, answers the top three questions about travel insurance coverage related to the Istanbul bombing.
- Travel Insurance Still Available Despite Worldwide Travel Alert, says SquaremouthRead More
ST PETERSBURG, FL November 24, 2015 — The U.S. State Department has issued a worldwide travel alert citing increased terrorist threats, while an “imminent threat” of terrorism has Brussels on a city-wide lockdown. The growing risk of another terrorist attack has led to an influx in questions from travelers with upcoming international trips. Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison website, explains how the threat of terrorism differs from a terrorist attack in terms of travel insurance coverage.
- Travel in a Time of Terrorism: Squaremouth Explains Travel Insurance CoverageRead More
ST PETERSBURG, FL November 20, 2015 — Following last weekend’s terrorist attacks in Paris and today’s attack at a hotel in Mali, travelers may be looking for coverage to cancel a trip due to a future attack. Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison website, explains four things to know when looking for terrorism coverage in a travel insurance policy.
- Paris Terrorist Attacks: 4 Top Travel Insurance Questions Answered by SquaremouthRead More
ST PETERSBURG, FL November 14, 2015 — After a series of terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday, France has declared a state of emergency and closed its borders. Travelers with plans to visit Paris may be covered by their travel insurance to cancel their upcoming trip. Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance website, answers the four top questions asked by travelers.
- Speculation of Terrorism Not Enough to Trigger Travel Insurance, Says SquaremouthRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, FL November 6, 2015 — Thousands of travelers have been left stranded in Egypt, as multiple countries halt flights out of the Sharm el-Sheikh airport following the recent Russian plane crash. While travelers may be inconvenienced, they aren’t covered under travel insurance, at least not yet, according to Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison website.
- Can I cancel my trip because I’m worried about terrorism?
- What coverage is available if there is a terrorist attack?Read More
Some Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption benefits include coverage for Terrorism.
- Can I cancel my trip because of the terrorist attack?
- See all 10 FAQs
- What if I don’t want to travel due to terrorist threats?Read More
Short Answer Choosing not to travel, regardless of the reason, is not a covered reason under any travel insurance policy’s Trip Cancellation coverage. In order to be covered to cancel a trip due to terrorism, an official act of terrorism must meet your policy’s definition.
- Can I cancel my trip because of terrorism?Read More
Yes, many policies allow travelers to cancel their trip because of terrorism at their destination, as long as their policy includes Terrorism coverage and was purchased before the attack occurred.