Squaremouth’s Extreme Weather and Natural Disasters Travel Insurance Information Center is a regularly-updated resource on coverage for hurricanes, blizzards, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and other natural disasters. Visit an event-specific information center to view official provider position statements and learn more about coverage for that event.
Fact Sheets and Press Releases
Recent Volcanic Eruptions May Cause Travel Insurance QuestionsRead More
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. January 16, 2020 — Recent volcanic eruptions in the Philippines and New Zealand highlight the impact that unexpected events can have on travelers.
Travel Alerts, Evacuation Orders and Arson Impact Travel Insurance for Australia
Travel to Puerto Rico Amidst Earthquakes and State of Emergency
What Travelers Heading to Australia Need to Know About Wildfires and Travel Insurance
3 Reasons Why New Zealand Volcano Won’t Trigger Travel Insurance Benefits, Says Squaremouth
3 Surprising Things Travel Insurance Can Cover This Winter Travel Season
Travel Insurance for When the Unthinkable Happens
- Can I cancel my trip if a winter storm causes a power outage at my destination?
- What if the school year is extended due to winter storms and it impacts our future trip?
- Can I cancel my upcoming trip because of a flood?
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover a flood?
- Does travel insurance cover planned power outages during a wildfire?
- What types of natural disasters are covered by travel insurance?
- Can travel insurance cover me if my home is in a hurricane's path?
- Can I cancel my upcoming trip because of a wildfire?
- See all 25 FAQs
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover a wildfire?
- Am I covered if I have to evacuate because of a wildfire?
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover an earthquake?
- When can I buy travel insurance to cover a tropical storm or hurricane?
- Does a storm have to become a hurricane to be covered by travel insurance?
- Does the Hurricane & Weather benefit cover tropical storms?
- What types of current events are covered by travel insurance?
- If there is a storm, when can I no longer be covered by travel insurance?
- What if my flight is delayed because of the earthquake?
- Am I covered if I miss my connecting flight?
- Am I covered if I get bumped from an overbooked flight?
- Am I covered if I miss my flight due to long security lines?
- What if the roads are bad and I don't want to travel?
- How long do I need to be delayed to trigger coverage?
- What do I do if my flight is delayed or canceled due to bad weather?
- Can I cancel my trip due to a winter storm or blizzard?
- Can I cancel my trip if I don’t want to travel in bad weather?
Natural Disaster Event Center External Resources
Natural disasters, such as volcanoes, earthquakes, and tornadoes, can leave large areas uninhabitable and significantly impact travel. Check with local authorities at your destination, and use these resources to determine if your destination has been evacuated or deemed uninhabitable: