Squaremouth’s travel insurance providers give their official position statements in response to Hurricane Florence, which became a named storm on September 1, 2018, and is approaching the East Coast as a major storm.
On September 1, 2018, Hurricane Florence became a named tropical storm. The storm is strengthening into a major hurricane as it heads toward the East Coast.
What you need to know about your policy:
As of September 1, the storm is no longer considered an unforeseen event. Coverage related to the storm is not available for Tin Leg policies purchased after this date.
Tin Leg policies purchased on or prior to September 1 may provide coverage related to the event, including Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption and Trip Delay benefits.
Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage for Hurricanes:
In order for an event to be covered under Tin Leg policies, the event must occur after a policy has been purchased and meet at least one of the following requirements.
- Inclement weather resulting in the complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or destination for the following specified amounts of time:
- Tin Leg Economy policy: 24 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Standard policy: 24 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Luxury policy: any delay or cancellation of travel
- Accommodations at your destination are made uninhabitable or inaccessible
- Your or your traveling companion’s primary residence has been rendered uninhabitable or inaccessible
Travel Delay coverage for Hurricanes:
In order for a hurricane to be covered under the Trip Delay benefit within Tin Leg policies, it must meet the following requirements for minimum length of delay:
- Tin Leg Economy policy: 12 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Standard policy: 6 consecutive hours
- Tin Leg Luxury policy: 6 consecutive hours
In addition to Trip Cancellation and Travel Delay coverage, other benefits, including Emergency Medical and Medical Evacuation, may also be available for coverage related to the storm.
In the event of an emergency, please contact Tin Leg’s 24 Hour Emergency Assistance department as soon as reasonably possible at:
Emergency Assistance Inside US: 844-927-9265 (Toll Free)
Emergency Assistance Outside US (Collect Call): 001-727-264-5657
Emergency Assistance Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the event of a claim, please contact Tin Leg’s Claim department at 844-240-1233 or email@example.com. Start your claim online: https://tinleg.com/claims/online
Please contact Tin Leg with any questions at 844-240-1233, we are delighted to answer any additional questions.