ST. PETERSBURG, FL June 30, 2016 — Leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth details notable trends among Americans traveling this summer.
Where are Americans traveling this summer?
Boost to Alternative Destinations in Light of Terrorist Threats
- 70% jump in travel to Canada, overtaking popular European destinations
- Alternative European destinations grow, with notable increase in policies for Iceland, Norway
Changes Among Caribbean Destinations Signal Zika Concerns
- 48% rise in summer travel to Zika-free Bahamas
- 133% increase in Americans buying Cancel For Any Reason for Bahamas trips
- Notable decrease in travel to some Caribbean destinations, including Aruba, Bermuda, U.S. Virgin Islands
Canada Tops List of Most Popular International Destinations
1. Canada (+70%)
2. Italy (+13%)
3. Mexico (+18%)
4. United Kingdom (+25%)
5. France (+19%)
4. United Kingdom
Summer 2016 includes percentage change in total travelers over the previous year.
What are travelers concerned about this summer?
Heightened Concern Regarding Terrorism, Hurricanes
- 66% more travelers searching for hurricane coverage for trips this summer, particularly for travel to Mexico and the Bahamas
- 154% increase in the number of travelers searching for terrorism coverage
- Top European travel destinations see spike in terrorism searches
Related: Terrorism’s Impact on Travel: Squaremouth Reveals Travel Insurance Trends
International Destinations With Most Searches for Terrorism Coverage
1. Italy (+128%)
2. France (+146%)
3. United Kingdom (+151%)
4. Germany (+342%)
5. Spain (+273%)
3. United Kingdom
Summer 2016 includes percentage change in customers searching for terrorism coverage over the previous year.
Squaremouth.com allows travelers to narrow their results using filters when searching for travel insurance coverage that is important to them. This data is based on the number of travelers using the Terrorism or Hurricane and Weather filters to purchase a travel insurance policy.
Who is traveling this summer?
Retirees Spend the Most, Families Travel Longer in Summer
- 36% of Squaremouth customers traveling this summer are baby boomers
- 57% increase in customers over 70 buying travel insurance for summer trips in 2016
- Travelers 65+ spend the most, with an average trip cost of $2,995 per person
- Millennials spend the least to travel — $1,481 per person on average
- Compared to spring, families with children take longer summer trips, averaging 16 days
Non-European Destinations Gain Favor, Vary by Age Group
- Canada replaces Italy as the top international destination for travelers 65+, a spot held by Italy for the past 3 years
- France falls out of the top 5 international destinations for travelers under 50
- Bahamas replaces France as a top destination for travelers aged 35-49
- Thailand replaces France on as the No. 4 international destination for Millennials
How much are Americans spending on summer travel?
Americans’ Summer Travel Spending Slows
- Average spending on trips to the top 5 international destinations has decreased slightly — except for Canada, where spending has remained about the same
- On average, Americans are spending $2,539 per person to travel this summer
- The average total cost of a summer trip is $8,930, an increase of 3.6% over last summer
- 18% increase in Americans’ summer travel spending over the past 3 years
Top Destinations Show Range of Spending
- Italy is the most expensive of the top 5 international destinations, with Americans spending an average of $5,518 per trip
- Mexico is the least expensive of the top 5 international destinations, with Americans spending an average of $2,709 per trip
All data is based on American travelers insured on travel insurance policies purchased through Squaremouth prior to 6/21 for travel during 5/22-9/9. Travelers who are visiting multiple countries only have to enter one destination when purchasing a policy on Squaremouth.com. This report represents the destinations selected by travelers. Statistics reflect changes from the same period in 2015 unless otherwise noted.
Related: 2016 Spring Travel Trends Report
Squaremouth is an online company that compares travel insurance products from virtually every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth’s comparison engine and third party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare insurance products side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.