ST. PETERSBURG, FL DECEMBER 7, 2016 — Italy remained the top European destination for American travelers in 2016, according to sales data from Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison website.
“Overall, Italy is the second most popular international destination for U.S. residents,” said Squaremouth spokesperson Rachael Taft. “We saw a 17% increase in customers traveling to Italy over the past year, while trips to Italy have become more affordable.”
Year-Over-Year Growth Rate Triples
After experiencing slow growth in 2015, Italy’s year-over-year growth rate nearly tripled in 2016.
- Italy has been the second most popular international destination for Americans, behind Mexico, for the past five years
Table 1: Squaremouth Customers Traveling to Italy
|YoY Growth||Average Trip Cost||Change in Average Trip Cost|
Trips to Italy Becoming More Affordable
The average cost for a trip to Italy has declined for the past two years, after topping $5,000 in 2014.
- Italy and Australia are the only top 10 destinations with an average trip cost above $4,000
- U.S. customers spent $18.9 million on trips to Italy in 2016, the most of any international destination
Top Choice for Summer and Fall Travel
Summer and fall are the most popular seasons for Americans to visit Italy.
- Italy was the most popular international destination this fall, according to Squaremouth’s Fall Travel Trends report
- Canada replaced Italy as the top international summer destination this year
- Winter was the most affordable season to visit Italy
Table 2: Seasonal Travel to Italy
|Total Spent||Average Trip Cost||Share of Travel|
Methodology: Data is based on American customers insured on travel insurance policies purchased through Squaremouth prior to 12/5/16. Annual numbers are based on sales between 12/5 of the previous year and 12/5 of that year. Statistics reflect year-over-year changes unless otherwise noted. Travelers who are visiting multiple countries only have to enter one destination when purchasing a policy on Squaremouth.com. This report represents travelers that selected Italy.
- One Year After Paris Attacks: France Travel Stalls, Demand for Terrorism Coverage Spikes, Reports Squaremouth
- Squaremouth Report: Slow Growth Pushes France Out of Top 5 Destinations
- 2016 Fastest-Growing Destinations: Travel to Alternative Destinations Surges
Squaremouth compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth’s comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare insurance products side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.