ST. PETERSBURG, FL November 7, 2016 — France is the slowest-growing top destination for American travelers in the past year, according to sales data from leading travel insurance comparison site Squaremouth.
“This year marks the first time in the past five years that France has not been among our top five destinations,” said Squaremouth spokesperson Rachael Taft. “At the same time, the number of customers searching specifically for terrorism coverage for their trip to France has nearly tripled.”
France Declines Among Top Destinations
France is now the sixth most popular destination, displaced from the top 5 by Canada and the United Kingdom.
- At 4.4%, France’s year-over-year growth rate was less than half the rate of the next slowest-growing top destination, Germany
- Canada, the fastest-growing destination, grew at nearly ten times the rate of France
- France’s overall share of travel insurance sales has declined for the past four years
Table 1: Squaremouth Customers Traveling to France
|Growth in Number of Travelers||Average Trip Cost||% of Total Travelers*|
*Represents percentage of American customers buying travel insurance for a trip to France
Interest in Terrorism Coverage Nearly Triples
Following attacks in Paris and Nice, travel insurance coverage for terrorism has been a priority for American travelers over the past year.
- 192% year-over-year increase in the number of American travelers searching specifically for Terrorism coverage when buying a policy for travel to France
- For trips to all other destinations, the number of American travelers buying travel insurance policies specifically with Terrorism coverage increased by 150% year-over-year
Summer Travel Remains Steady
- Winter travelers to France spent the least, while summer and fall trips were the most expensive on average
- The average cost for trips to France last winter dropped nearly 11% from the previous year
Table 2: Seasonal Travel to France
|Total Spent in Season||Average Trip Cost||Share of Annual Travel to France|
Methodology: Data is based on American customers insured on travel insurance policies purchased through Squaremouth prior to 10/31/16. Annual numbers are based on sales between 10/31 of the previous year and 10/31 of that year. Statistics reflect year-over-year changes unless otherwise noted. Travelers who are visiting multiple countries only have to enter one destination when purchasing a policy on Squaremouth.com. This report represents travelers that selected France.