Squaremouth, a leading travel insurance comparison site, launched the Zika Virus and Travel Insurance Information Center to break down travel insurance coverage for the Zika virus outbreak. This online resource is updated with answers to frequently asked questions, official insurance provider position statements, and current travel health alerts and notices related to the outbreak.
Based on the top concerns from travelers, Squaremouth has created the following fact sheet to summarize key points about travel insurance coverage for the Zika virus.
Key Facts About Travel Insurance Coverage for the Zika Virus
Canceling a Trip
- A CDC travel alert is not a covered reason to cancel a trip on standard travel insurance
- Travelers with the Cancel For Any Reason upgrade can cancel a trip for any reason, including fear of contracting the Zika virus – this upgrade significantly increases the cost of a policy
- If a traveler contracts the Zika virus before their trip, they may be eligible to cancel due to illness
- Travelers who change their trip destination or travel dates due to the Zika virus may be able to adjust their existing travel insurance policy to cover the new trip
- Most travel insurance policies do not cover pregnancy
- Pregnant travelers are not eligible to cancel their trip out of fear of contracting the Zika virus, even if a doctor recommends they don’t travel
- Travelers with the Cancel For Any Reason upgrade can cancel if they don’t want to travel because of the Zika virus outbreak
- Some providers allow travelers to cancel their trip if they become pregnant after purchasing the policy – See which policies have this coverage
Medical Treatment While Traveling
- Travelers can still purchase travel insurance with Emergency Medical and Medical Evacuation coverage for Zika virus
- Emergency Medical: If a traveler contracts the Zika virus while traveling, they may be covered for the cost of medical care during their trip
- Medical Evacuation: Travelers who contract the Zika virus and need to be evacuated for treatment may be covered for the transportation costs
Squaremouth is an online company that compares travel insurance products from virtually every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth’s comparison engine and third party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare insurance products side-by-side. More information can be found at www.squaremouth.com.
AVAILABLE TOPIC EXPERT